Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth In/Out COM Port Assignments
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth In/Out COM Port Assignments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADonnelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth In/Out COM Port Assignments Reply with quote

Howdy all,

I am having a bit of an issue trying to get my iPAQ rx3715 to work with a BT-77 GPS. The problem is that the instructions state quite specifically that the 'Outbound COM port' needs to be set as '8', but my bluetooth driver (Widcom) does not allow me to change the setting to match:-

My friend has one of these devices, but with a different logo on the front. His instructions state that he should use COM '7' when connecting. I am curious as to how relevant the COM ports are when setting up a GPS for the first time. I have seen a web-page that states that the GPS is "Compatible with Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP) completely". Does anyone know if this means that device can support connections via any COM port, or is the setting hard coded into the device?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't make too much difference. My BT GPS is connected to my PDA (Dell X51v) on COM7: - which was the default allocated by WM5 during the pairing process. I didn't get any option - it allocated that port.

Don't forget it's the "Incoming Com Port" that is used by your application to talk to the gps unit. It sounds a little counter-intuative when you first come acropss it - but its logically correct.

The device (BT GPS) has no concept of serial ports - that's done by the PDA operating system (and associated s/w).

Assuming the paring works OK and you assign the COM port - does your GPS application (TomTom et al) see the COM8 port? If so (and I see no reason why it shouldn't) it should be OK.
ADonnelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I launch TT6 I do get the COM port options, 6 and 8 however I have been fixated on the 'Outbound' COM port as per page 5 of the Setup instuctions. I have seen another reference to the inbound COM port being the way forward, I will try it when I get home...
ADonnelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
It shouldn't make too much difference. My BT GPS is
The device (BT GPS) has no concept of serial ports - that's done by the PDA operating system (and associated s/w).

I really wish I could believe it, but I've tried pairing the GPS then using inbound COM port 8 to no success. When I select the outbound COM port (6) in TT6, I still don't get a connection though it does present the 'Bluetooth browser where I can select 'BT GPS'. If I select it TT starts thinking about thinks, but just returns to the device selection. If I select 'Always use the selected device' the browser goes away, but the GPS status screen does not show any statalite connections... I have had the unit on for 30 minutes in my window on a main road. The exact error is 'No GPS device'.

Port independance does seem logical when I hear of the same device working through other port settings. The only place I can see where I'm going wrong is at 'Page 5' of the aforementioned guide. I've posted in HP's forums to determine if the COM ports should be changable (As per PPC 2002), but have not made any major progress. Tis driving me nuts! Evil or Very Mad

I'm gonna try version 5.21 of TomTom with the default ports again, in an attempt to rule out the software that I'm connecting with.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADonnelly wrote:
The exact error is 'No GPS device'.

(edited)

I'm gonna try version 5.21 of TomTom with the default ports again, in an attempt to rule out the software that I'm connecting with.

'No GPS Device' would indicate that it is not connecting to your GPS device. This will change to 'Waiting for GPS' if it is connected but no lock.

With TT6 when you configure the GPS receiver you should be choosing 'Other BlueTooth'. At this point it should offer you a list of ports to connect to - some of these ports may have a text description - are any of the two ports you mention being shown and if so what is being displayed alongside the port number?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: