Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Two quick questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Two quick questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Two quick questions Reply with quote

I just bought the Navman iCN 530 and have a couple of questions. Can the 3 map CDs be installed to my computer hard drive AND would I have any reasdon to do that?

I'm moving to this from a Garmin 3600 and on that I could do everything from my computer..... add addresses, favorites, and waypoints. I could plan my trips, waypoints, etc. on my computer then download them to my GPS. Has anyone written any software to accomplish this on this GPS? I kind of prefer using a keyboard but I'm sure that after I get used to doing entries PDA style I'll get used to it. Just looking for something similar to my PC to Cell Phone Software I guess...

One more question... sorry.... I'm Sooo new to this GPS that I have it going through it's initial charge - via usb - now. It appears that nothing can be done on the GPS unit while charging.... Is there a way to enter information on this while charging? Manual doesn't say anything about this.... or I missed it.

Thanks all.... Think that I'm going to enjoy this thing. Once I get it set up all three of these questions won't mean much but questions 1 and 3 should have been addressed in the manual.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Two quick questions Reply with quote

lger wrote:
I just bought the Navman iCN 530 and have a couple of questions. Can the 3 map CDs be installed to my computer hard drive AND would I have any reasdon to do that?

I'm moving to this from a Garmin 3600 and on that I could do everything from my computer..... add addresses, favorites, and waypoints. I could plan my trips, waypoints, etc. on my computer then download them to my GPS. Has anyone written any software to accomplish this on this GPS? I kind of prefer using a keyboard but I'm sure that after I get used to doing entries PDA style I'll get used to it. Just looking for something similar to my PC to Cell Phone Software I guess...

One more question... sorry.... I'm Sooo new to this GPS that I have it going through it's initial charge - via usb - now. It appears that nothing can be done on the GPS unit while charging.... Is there a way to enter information on this while charging? Manual doesn't say anything about this.... or I missed it.

Thanks all.... Think that I'm going to enjoy this thing. Once I get it set up all three of these questions won't mean much but questions 1 and 3 should have been addressed in the manual.

First Welcome to the Forum Exclamation

Cannot say that I can give you precise information but I might be able to hazard some guesses - there are a lot of tech minded formum members who I am sure will help you Wink

Why would you want to load the three map CD contents to your computer? I've never tried it but I assume the maps could be loaded from your hard drive but I would think that would be a waste of your computer hard drive space.

The maps get loaded to your 530 via the SmartST Desktop facility and you need only load the Europe Basemap to provide continuous navigation across Europe. If you then want the Street level mapping, you are best advised to only load only those countries and regions of countries through which you are travelling. The whole lot will not fit on a 1Gb SD card Crying or Very sad

My experience with charging the device is that it will charge, so long as you do not then use it - the moment you start to use it, it stops charging - or appears to.

No doubt you will get some other opinions.
Krasimir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely use my iCN 530 while it is charging from the USB port of my PC and my impression is that the charging does not stop when I use it.
Krasimir
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to mention that you have to kill ActiveSync in order to do this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: