Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Who's taken an updated TomTom around Bradford recently?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's taken an updated TomTom around Bradford recently?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Who's taken an updated TomTom around Bradford recently? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently used my TomTom 300 around Bradford (West Yorkshire), only to find that after a couple of year's worth of constuction, many of the main roads have all been re-routed around/through the city.

You can imagine my joy as John Cleese's voice bellowed at me to constantly turn round as the map desperately tried to guess at where I actually was...! Blood-pressure-tastic!

So my question - do the latest map updates include the new road system around Bradford?

Given (in my opinion) the high price of the updated maps, and the number of complaints on this forum that many errors still persist, I'm trying to determine whether it's actually safe to buy them or not!

Any comments appreciated!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The latest map updates" haven't happened yet - since maybe April 2005.
The latest map updates are due ...
"Second Quarter 2006"
"Third Quarter 2006"
"Soon"
"By the end of the year"
These are the progressive promises or forecasts from Tom Tom. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a map upgrade just now, because there's a new one due "shortly" (or "longly" depending on how much reliance you place on Tom Tom's forecasts).
Even when the new ones come out, I wouldn't like to bet on the Bradford two year old new construction being included - too new probably. Get whatsername (his wife) to give John Cleese a bit of a whack to shut up!
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The latest map updates are due ...
"Second Quarter 2006"
"Third Quarter 2006"
"Soon"
"By the end of the year"

Ah yes! I'd seen the sticky posts at the top of the forums with people complaining about the inaccuracy of the maps, but never checked the actual dates. Now I look back I see that these were first posted in 2005, so yes I will now anticipate the release of the new maps and monitor this forum for peoples' opinions before I buy!

It would be nice if new maps were released, say, every quarter - for a much smaller charge!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the map charges relate to the license fee charged by teleatlas to tomtom you have have to remember that both of the these companies are businesses and there aim is to make money

collating the map data is very time consuming and expensive also the time the conversion of th teleatlas data to tomtoms format takes time and this is also expensive.

i dont think that digital mapping will come down very much in the near future but over the long term it may.

you only have to look at topographical maps my full coverage in 1:50 of the the uk including northern sclotland was over 150 pounds and that was a with a show discount thye were doning on the day so a uk map for tomtom is a faily good deal at the moment

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Rouchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the map charges relate to the license fee charged by teleatlas to tomtom you have have to remember that both of the these companies are businesses and there aim is to make money

Hi alix776. Yes, very true!

Is there any way to find out when maps currently offered on the TomTom website were last updated? On their map purchase page (http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/mds.php) the GB map is listed but there's no apparent way to tell how old it is. As mentioned earlier in this topic it seems we are well overdue for an update.

I'm off to register with them to receive the communication when this happens...[/url]
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quote from Tom Tom website as at today, support page, answer to Question 3 about map updates :-
Quote:
TomTom Map Updates
Last year we offered our TomTom GO, NAVIGATOR and MOBILE customers the opportunity to benefit from the Update Programme. From April/May until November 2005 many of our TomTom product owners upgraded to the newest application version and new street level maps.

Introducing a new map update program. Soon existing TomTom customers will be able to purchase the latest maps.

So the last programme ran starting April 2005. Deduction - those maps would have reflected the time taken to compile by Teleatlas, then convert by Tom Tom, so at that time the up to date maps were probably a year or 18 months out of date - in relation to today, say 3 years old. I don't complain about this, it's a simple fact of praticalities. I don't complain that TT should make a profit from it, again that's why they're in business and I'm quite happy to pay the going rate for the service. However, I DO complain that TT have been promising the updates this year with dates going further and further back.
My TT GO 700 is a glorious piece of kit, it has replaced a £2,500 laptop and I never want to go back to laptop and my crate full of 20-30 A-Zs.
BUT I do wish Tom Tom would give me the opportunity to pay them some money for a more up to date map than I have at present - I'm positively gagging for the chance to send them some money!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: