Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT. One V2 ON/OFF
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT. One V2 ON/OFF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: TT. One V2 ON/OFF Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone help. I have just brought the new V2 and installed the software and cameras. My old TT Go switches on and off via the ingition, but the v2 does not, am I missing something in the setup?.

regards

Mike
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Sorry I can't answer your query but isn't it useful that the unit remains on with the ignition off. Surely powering on and off should be influenced by the unit itself rather than the ignition, or am I missing something as well?

Thanks - Nick
Mike1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: TT. One V2 ON/OFF Reply with quote

I have just heard back from Tom Tom, who have said that the option power on/power off is no longer available from the ignition switch, only from the unit.

Mike
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure which i prefer to be honest.. there is a plus and minus side to both.. i spose in a pefect world it would be a user selectable option.. he he.. being as its disappeared it must be for cost cuttiing reasons on the cheaper models..

trog
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Do you get a warning before the tomtom one v2 turns off / is their a battery indicator or does the unit just "die"?

Thanks - Nick
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it never disappeared, as it was never there on the ONE. Because the One and One NE have no active docks, there is no way of recognizing that the device is docked and ingnition switches off (as happens on the Go).

If the GO is charged via backside, instead of via the dock, then it will also not switch off.

This is the only way. Otherwise the One would also switch off when you disconnect from power when at home.
stevejarvis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pain having to turn the TomTom One on everytime you get in the car and off when you get out, which is necessary if you use it as a camera detector.

TomTom's competitors like Navman manage solve this problem, so why can't TomTom?

There's a green light comes on when the unit is charging, so clearly it does know if its connected to a power source. Why didn't they make it possible to detect this from the software? Or perhaps they did?

The alternative (which I guess I might investigate when the warranty is over) is just to put a switch in the connection from the internal battery.

Absence of a battery will turn the thing off pretty reliably when the external power goes off. Just switch it on when you want to use it as a handheld, rather than mounted in the car.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevejarvis wrote:
The alternative (which I guess I might investigate when the warranty is over) is just to put a switch in the connection from the internal battery.

Absence of a battery will turn the thing off pretty reliably when the external power goes off. Just switch it on when you want to use it as a handheld, rather than mounted in the car.
The only problem that I can see, is that the current Switch turns the Device off in an Orderly fashion, much like a PC.

Just disconnecting the Battery, by a switch or other means, could result in Lost Data, and if TT happens to be writing to the Card at that time, you would possibly end up with a corrupted Card.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
stevejarvis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's certainly a potential problem.

But what happens when the battery runs out? I guess that the software may detect the declining voltage and initiate a shut down.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It switches off as it senses a very low voltage.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: