Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5/6 alternative?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5/6 alternative?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polecatpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: TT5/6 alternative? Reply with quote

I really wanted to purchase TT6 (or 5) but with my device (M3100) not being officially supported by TT and as such, no activation code being supplied, should I have to re-install, I think I'm forced to look else where...

After reading many reviews on various products, I narrowed it down to CoPilot or the Navigon software but I've had no first hand experience of these so could anyone shed any light on how they compare to TT ?

I realise this is perhaps not the correct forum but wanted the opinions of people who use TT and who may have also considered jumping ship or who have jumped ship.

Thanks in advance for any advice Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i-GO comes pretty close to TomTom functionality.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
polecatpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice lbendlin. I had a look at it but wasn't too sure. Couldn't find an awful lot of info on it but it does look fairly similar to TT. It's on a short list to try...

Anyway, picked up some cheap (legal before anyone pounces on me!) copies of Navigon 5 and Destinator 6 to try out.

Am fairly impressed with both. Both have features that I like and dislike. Overal, TT is still by far the easiest software to use with I think Navigon 5 coming 2nd and Destinator 6, 3rd.

The thing that put me off/annoyed the hell out of me with Nav5 was the crazy routes it came up with just to do a simple straight line trip. The maps themselves I found very accurate though. The other thing was the voice commands which said bare left/right when in fact it was a turn left/right or a roundabout. Not a problem if you keep glancing at the screen or you simply don't rely on voice comands, but I do. However, on the plus side, it was very detailed telling you which road you should be on etc. so a plus point there.

Destinator 6 didn't really inspire me when I first installed it, with some awkward/confusing menu system in place and it doesn't automatically switch on bluetooth, but after an hour or so playing with it, it actually does do quite a lot of things and is fairly easy to use once you master it. The routing was pretty much spot on everytime with only one dodgy moment, so really pleased. The voice comands, though not as detailed as Nav5 are very clear and accurate which I also found a big plus for my needs. Maps also are Q1 2006 so again, very accurate.

Overal, I think I might stick with Destinator 6 for a while or until TT6 becomes officially supported for my device (by that time, I might be happier with D6!) TT is great I found if you don't really know where you want to go (if that makes sense) - It's easy to pick a POI or town and just head off. It's also easy to play about with a route and pick and choose places or roads you wish to go via. But for straight forward A-B route planning, the others are very good indeed.

Haven't experienced Navigon or Destinator's support line (luckily) yet, so they could be a bunch of too but I'll worry about that when it happens!

I have both products installed still at present so if anyone has any questions (keep them simple please Smile ) then I'd be more than happy to take a look. It's been really hard finding info on any of these products so any help I can offer, I'm only too pleased.

Hope this helps people in a similar situtaion looking for alternatives.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as lutz said iGO is well worth a look at the moment it just lack poi alert though this can be overcome by using something like traveli and there no traffic either but it is very stable and runs well

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
gajet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested IGO, as I do like a lot about it, however I have to say that it also seemed to have too much affection for tiny, just a cars width back roads. For my trip from work in Birmingham to home in Redditch, it completely ignored the M5 or the a441 dual carriageway, in favour of a magical mystery tour down roads half covered in mud.

now don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad journey home, but I didn't meet anyone coming the other way, which would have been problematic due to the high banking on either side of the road and very occaisional passing points, and I drive a 4x4 so I actually enjoy this sort of thing, and didn't have to worry about the car, but why it ignored the dual carriageway practically running parallel to us was a mystery.

IGO is very pretty, but again if you can I'd try before I buy. I went back to Tomtom.
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does iGO have the option to use / avoid the London congestion zone?
I have posted this question in the iGO forum, but no-one has yet replied.

alix776 wrote:
as lutz said iGO is well worth a look at the moment it just lack poi alert though this can be overcome by using something like traveli and there no traffic either but it is very stable and runs well
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I realise this is perhaps not the correct forum but wanted the opinions of people who use TT and who may have also considered jumping ship or who have jumped ship.

Only just noticed your post, polecatpete, if I'd see it earlier I wouldn't have started a similar post. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=48884

I'll be quite happy if TomTom brought out their promised update, soon, for PDA and Mobiles. I've been hoping it would come 'soon' and maybe even be discounted, as was 3 to 5. I had noticed a while back that Destinator 6 could be purchased a a reduced rate for people changing to their mapping. Unfortunately they say their maps are not compatible with my Mio P350. I can find nowhere on the forums where someone says they will work together.

Your comments on Destinator 6 are very useful, especially if the compatibility problem is resolved.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had experience of Destinator from 3 up to 6 via PN. Colleague uses TomTom including the latest Navigator 6. If you want opinions search the Destinator forum for my username. You'll see me swing from happy to downright frustrated on a weekly basis. I've since switched to Tom Tom 6 and life is relaxed and happy. I miss you guys of course but i've spent a lot less time here lately!

In short, Tom Tom ain't perfect but IMHO its the most painless of the lot. Try setting up alerts on Destinator (any version) and that's when the pain starts.
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: