Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the 510 710 910 mount fixed now or is there still Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the 510 710 910 mount fixed now or is there still Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partnervanman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Is the 510 710 910 mount fixed now or is there still Problem Reply with quote

Iv decided on which sat nav i want and then here stories about the mount. Are the new mounts any better now?

Is the Problem Fixed?

I was going to buy a 910 online but im worried in cas i have problems.

Cheers
Dave
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not had a problem with my new mount...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been testing the re-designed mount and so far it appears to exhibit none of the original issues.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have dropped lucky, I am still using the original mount - to date it has only drooped twice in very hot conditions. I see no point in changing a unit that works. Perhaps I was lucky, but then human nature dictates that only failures will be reported as a norm not the ones that work, food for thought - Mike
d0gesty1e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: My mount Reply with quote

My mount broke about a week after i got it. I have a 910, and the part that you turn just snapped off like a twig.
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got TomTom to ship me a new mount for my 510 in late July because the original wouldn't stay connected to the device or my windscreen. The new one is different in that it needs an extra bit of a turn to lock it fully and it doesn't wobble or drop.

HOWEVER.... has anyone else noticed that these new mounts are so short that its difficult to get the TT on and off without leaving knuckle prints all over the windscreen?

AND... if anyone fancies a really solid alternative that isn't so easily identifiable from a mile away as a satnav mount, have a look at this post from another forum...

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6935

I'd thought of the same idea myself but this guy beat me to it, except I managed to dismantle my faulty mount and leave myself with the connector and ball intact. It was a bit fiddly and I'm not sure I could begin to explain how I did it.

Nick
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the RIDER comes with a similar mount to the RAM bracket but using smaller ball thingies. I wonder if that would work with the mount.

Let me go see !
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0dger67 wrote:
I'd thought of the same idea myself but this guy beat me to it, except I managed to dismantle my faulty mount and leave myself with the connector and ball intact. It was a bit fiddly and I'm not sure I could begin to explain how I did it.

Give us a clue! I can't see how to part sucker from the ball without breaking it!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I sussed it. You need to unlcip the 'trim' on the sucker base (the petal shaped part) and from there it can all be disassembled.

The 'ball' is the same size as that supplied with the RIDER mount kit. I'll screw the whole mount to a Brodit Clip over the weekend and report back as to how stable it is. It's certainly solid when clamped up.

B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it - not easy is it! I hope you didn't insert a screwdriver into your finger as I did in my quest to dismantle the little sucker.

I spoke to a chap at RAM UK (www.ram-mount-uk.com) and he tells me that their guys in the USA are still working on something specifically for the x10 series TomToms but that's all he knows. They're a bit bogged down by the electronics apparently.

As regards the TomTom's smaller balls Wink I reckon they're equivalent to RAM's A-size which you can't get over here. I asked about this and he said he's never seen balls that small in the UK :o and that they do everything with big balls 8O because of the strain these mounts are often under.

So in short its Heath-Robinson approach for the time being so long as you're happy to chop off a ball Crying or Very sad and pay about £40 for the bits.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: