Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarzan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Tomtom problems Reply with quote

Hi!

First of all, nice forum - took me sometime to find a good forum! Im pretty much a n00b, so please bare with me ;)

Ok, i've just bought a IPAQ 2210 + Tomtom Wireless GPS (Bluetooth) Im running pocketpc 2003, and 2.09 GPS driver + 2.24 Navigator.

The thing is, i havent been able to use it yet, causs im getting "GPS posistion unreliable" all the time Sad

I've paired the gps-reciever fine, and have a good connection to it. Everything is running good, but i can't find any satelites (i think..)
In the "GPS Status" i see my Tomtom wireless GPS on Bluetooth Serial port Com8. There is a map, but no sat's are shown. Under the "status" tab, it looks like the sat are transfering something to the GPS reciever (it's a looped animation in some kind)

I realy realy hope that someone have some good advices on this - the manual + tomtom's site is not much help :|

Thanx!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tarzan,

Welcome to the forum. Welcome

The first thing that springs to mind is the location of your vehicle. Are you some way (say more than 10 metres) from a public road? If you are, try to move closer to a public road or park in a lay-by and let the GPS fire up.

If you still have problems, whilst stationary, take your Bluetooth GPS receiver out of the car and place it on the roof. If you get a signal there you may signal issues inside the vehicle due to windscreen coatings.

I’m not a Bluetooth user (I use a cabled GPS mouse) but I see that you’re using the dreaded 2.09 GPS driver. Have you done the necessary “fix” to make it more useable?

Hope this helps,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
johnnyxx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there i get gps unreleable most of the time but i get about 6 to 8 sats all the time not sure why?
have you bonded the gps yet with your pda ,
and mine also uses the bluetooth serial port com8.
tarzan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi Tarzan,

Welcome to the forum. Welcome

The first thing that springs to mind is the location of your vehicle. Are you some way (say more than 10 metres) from a public road? If you are, try to move closer to a public road or park in a lay-by and let the GPS fire up.

coatings.

I’m not a Bluetooth user (I use a cabled GPS mouse) but I see that you’re If you still have problems, whilst stationary, take your Bluetooth GPS receiver out of the car and place it on the roof. If you get a signal there you may signal issues inside the vehicle due to windscreen using the dreaded 2.09 GPS driver. Have you done the necessary “fix” to make it more useable?

Hope this helps,

Thanx for the welcome! Thumbs Up

Im actualy inside my house, about 10 meters from the road. I've also tried outside - no luck.

What trick are you talking about? Smile
johnnyxx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi robert

i think if you are running ppc2003 does that not come with the update you was talking about

cause im on ppc2002 and i had to update so that my pda could read my sd card. what a pain Laughing Out Loud

compaq 3970 sd 256 fuji ttn2 bluetooth
tarzan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, in settings under "serial port" i see my inbound COM port is "5" and my outboud is "8"

Another thing (that might be right) when i've connected my tomtom, it's only showing under "outgoing Connections" and nothing in "Incoming" dunno if thats ok..
johnnyxx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so under the gps bit in tt2 you have a tick in the box then tomtom wireless gps,
then com8
tarzan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jep, already did that Sad

Where can i see which GPS driver im using? i have upgraded from 2.08 to 2.09 - maybe it's the GPS driver's fault..

2.08 was included with the cd which i installed - did'nt work with that either..
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnyxx,

Sorry, I'm on ppc2002 as well, I don't know about ppc2003.

Tarzan,

If you look at this thread

You'll see the fix modification that others have used for 2.09 GPS driver.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
johnnyxx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry tarzan did you say u had bonded the reciever with the pda , thats under bluetooth manager,
tarzan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer, ill try that! Smile

johnnyxx, jep - it's bonded (paired?)
tarzan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer, i tried to uninstall the "tomtom ~ GPS" just like that thread said.. but still dont work.. another dude in there said that if one installs the 2.09 dirver with default settings, it might overwrite some important files, which only can be restored with a hard reset.

Maybe it's time for me to try a hard reset? (dunno how that is done, and what it will do..)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me - and I wouldn't leap into a hard reset (which wipes the memory of your Pocket PC clean, turning it back into how it was when you got it out of the box apart from anything in the iPAQ File Store)! If you read those posts carefully, my beef is that, totally without prompting from the user, the TomTom Wizard component adds two Bluetooth DLLs to the machine, overwriting those in ROM or RAM loaded if necessary. They appear to be later versions than those supplied on Pocket PC 2003 iPAQs, but I'm simply not happy that they're being installed in such a blanket fashion anyway. What machines and OS versions are they aimed for, and why are they there in the first place? (I suspect it's to allow Bluetooth GPSes to work on the XDA II that don't have Bluetooth serial port support 'out of the box').

Having said that, if you installed the "TomTom Wizard", you might like to uninstall that - it doesn't seem to do any good. I'd back up before uninstalling just in case it removes the Bluetooth DLLs it installed (if it did install them on your machine), and doesn't replace them with anything. You should have iPAQ Backup in ROM on a 2210, which is a cut down version of the Sprite Backup program that myself and several of the Pocket GPS staff rate very highly.

In any case, on a 2210, you should be able to install a vanilla Bluetooth stack into RAM by (re)installing the 1.4.1 build 58 Bluetooth patch on the HP web site. You may be prompted during that install to overwrite the two offending DLLs. That's rather easier than a hard reset - though it comes at the cost of a fair amount of RAM.

Now - to your problem. Precisely what are you seeing on the GPS status screen - that's the first tab of the GPS application. If you have scrolling dots between the computer and GPS, that's the first stage, which hints strongly that you've got the right GPS selection and COM port. The second stage, if you are somewhere where the GPS receiver has a view of the sky, should be the time and date showing as the current time and date (well, UTC). The third stage is one or more grey bars, and the fourth stage is at least three of those bars going red. At that point you have a position, which you'll see displayed at the top of the screen as a longitude and latitude.

On a brand new GPS receiver, this can take several minutes. You don't need to be anywhere near a road - though you should be stationary with a view of the sky (outdoors is ideal for a Bluetooth setup!).

COM8 is correct for your machine if that's what you're seeing under Bluetooth Settings on the Serial Port tab - you're connecting outwards from the Pocket PC to the GPS, though the connection is bidirectional once that is done. Some iPAQs (such as a 3970 upgraded to Pocket PC 2003) have these two the other way round.

You should just see something in "Outgoing Connections".

David
carl1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Tarzan are you ready for all your problems to go away,
check your SD card, some dont work with tomtom ttn2 software (tomtom support told me this them selves) i had the same problems as you are having, make sure its not made in china, then unistall all tomtom software of your HP and reinstall tomtom and gps onto HP and maps onto your SD card and all your problems should be solved, ive done this myself today and it all connected within 2 minutes
regards Carl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: