Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What sort of camera is this?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What sort of camera is this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothandnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: What sort of camera is this? Reply with quote

Hope this is the right place tp put this. I had a search through the forums, but didn't find any information that seemed relevant.

Anyhow, on a route that I use occasionally, there is a camera which is not in the database (well, at least not in the 2 month old database that came with my i3). I have marked the location and was going to report it, but I'm not entirely sure how to do so, simply because I'm not at all sure what sort of camera it is.

The box is similar to a Gatso, but, where the Gatso is wider than it is high, this one is taller than its wide. There are also no road markings associated with it.

So, can anyone tell me what it could be, and how to report it for inclusion in the database?

Thanks.

Paul.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a rough idea of location? from what you describe it could be a Monitron or redlight camera if its a Monitron it will look like the last image posted in THIS thread

As to the two month old data that was supplied with your Garmin, is this data supplied via Maplin? - if so it is probably a significant number of releases behind the current live data.

You can report new or ammendments to existing cameras by submitting the revised information on THIS Page, to qualify for a free life time membership you must be a site subscribed member, which costs £2 per month, this way you can ensure you are always using considerably more upto date Speed Camera data - Mike
toothandnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Can you post a rough idea of location? from what you describe it could be a Monitron or redlight camera if its a Monitron it will look like the last image posted in THIS thread

Its in a small village in Oxfordshire (one of the Heyfords, can't recall whether its upper or lower). Not a redlight camera - no traffic lights in sight. The link you gave gives an error, unfortunately, so I've not been able to look at the image in question...

mikealder wrote:
As to the two month old data that was supplied with your Garmin, is this data supplied via Maplin? - if so it is probably a significant number of releases behind the current live data.

No, not from Maplin. I bought the unit on eBay. From what I've been reading here, the speed camera database probably shouldn't have been included at all.

mikealder wrote:
You can report new or ammendments to existing cameras by submitting the revised information on THIS Page, to qualify for a free life time membership you must be a site subscribed member, which costs £2 per month, this way you can ensure you are always using considerably more upto date Speed Camera data - Mike

Smile I am intending to subscribe. Even the old camera database has been valuable, and I would like to repay the effort that goes into creating it to at least some extent. Once I have subscribed, I will report the location. Just wanted to find out what the camera is first.

Its not new - so far as I can recall, its been there for the last 3 or 4 years at least (which is as long as I've been using that road).

paul.
bw2020
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a camera search on Thames Valley Safer Roads Camera Partnership website on their camera search?Link
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the camera I'm thinking of it's not speed camera at all but a fake one presumably made by a resident who's fed up with motorists speeding through the village.

Check out the following site for pictures:

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso4.htm
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have added the dummy camera is in Lower Heyford and depending on which way you're driving either just before or just after a bridge over the Oxford canal and railway line.
If you are approaching the bridge the camera is in a hedge on the left and obviously if you've driven over the bridge it'll be on the right.

I guess this is great example of why all speed camera reports need to be verified by at least one other person.
toothandnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
Should have added the dummy camera is in Lower Heyford and depending on which way you're driving either just before or just after a bridge over the Oxford canal and railway line.
If you are approaching the bridge the camera is in a hedge on the left and obviously if you've driven over the bridge it'll be on the right.

Smile That's the one. I've never been able to get close enough to see that it is a fake.

Oddly enough, the first time I saw it, I thought it was a fake, but seen from the front when passing by (at 30mph, natch!) it looks quite realistic...

RDS wrote:
I guess this is great example of why all speed camera reports need to be verified by at least one other person.

Seems reasonable. That was one of the reasons I asked about it. Given that its been around for a while, I was suprised that it wasn't in the database..

Thanks for the link, BTW. I enjoyed the pictures of vandalised Gatsos no end.

paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: