Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toontastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: No signal Reply with quote

I've had my TomTom One for about 4 months now. All was working fine apart from it sending me the wrong way once or twice but then suddenly it stopped working.

Basically I drive around a fair bit for my job and had used the Sat Nav to get me to where I was going. I then came out of the place to take me back to work and it didn't pick up a signal. This happens sometimes where it takes a while to get a signal but I got all the way back to work and it still hadn't got one.

I checked out a few sites and fully charged the tom tom and then used it outside (ie not in a car just standing outside with it) for about 30 minutes and it still didn't pick up any signal or a single satillite. I'm using App version 5.450, GPS v1.21 Boot 4.29 with the map Great Britain Map v605.

I'd be very greatful for any help at all with this.

Thanks.
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like its gone faulty.

try connect it to the mains charger then press and release the reset button found on the base of the device. if the problem persists connect it to the mains charger then press and hold the power button then press and release the reset button then release the power button.

if its still the same then its likely developed a fault.
toontastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that I'll give it a try tonight. Will I need to backup my memory card or will it not wipe it ?
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toontastic wrote:
Thanks for that I'll give it a try tonight. Will I need to backup my memory card or will it not wipe it ?

No it wont wipe it, and also it doesn't need to be connected to the mains to do a reset as implied by the previous message, you can try it anytime, its just like rebooting a PC.

Tw
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
toontastic wrote:

No it wont wipe it, and also it doesn't need to be connected to the mains to do a reset as implied by the previous message, you can try it anytime, its just like rebooting a PC.

Tw

i have had better results when connecting to the mains and ive reset a lot of units.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsn3wbie wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:
toontastic wrote:

Tw

i have had better results when connecting to the mains and ive reset a lot of units.

You might as well say that a laptop would be better rebooted when connected to the mains as opposed to using its internal battery. Its a reboot thats all. There is obviously no harm for the OP to reboot it connected to the mains, but if he is away from his mains lead and needing to reset his unit, its barmy to wait til he gets back home, which looks like what he is doing at the moment!!

Tw
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not disagreeing with you just passing my my opinion and experiences.
toontastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I left my tom tom at home because its not working thats the reason I have to wait until tonight. Ill give it a try though when I get in and let you know. Thanks.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtoms do behave differently when rebooted connected to mains than their battery. They know when they're connected to a home dock and boot up differently... it's not uncommon for a reset to not work until the TT is plugged into the mains - I've seen it happen (and driven home 200 miles without satnav because of it).
toontastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much everyone I plugged my Sat Nav in and did the first reset and took it outside and within about 2 minutes it had picked up 4 satelites. It seemed to have lost all it's charge for some reason though so I'm charging it up now and hopefully when I take it out again and I'll have no problems at all with it and it'll find more. Thanks again.
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to here it.

all the best Thumbs Up
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toontastic wrote:
Thank you very much everyone I plugged my Sat Nav in and did the first reset and took it outside and within about 2 minutes it had picked up 4 satelites. It seemed to have lost all it's charge for some reason though so I'm charging it up now and hopefully when I take it out again and I'll have no problems at all with it and it'll find more. Thanks again.

Glad to hear it, if it hangs again check how much spare room there is on the SD card, that can be a cause of crashes IME, and dont be afraid to try a reset, it wont do any harm (esp if its not working anyway)

Tw
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyHoyle wrote:
Tomtoms do behave differently when rebooted connected to mains than their battery. They know when they're connected to a home dock and boot up differently... it's not uncommon for a reset to not work until the TT is plugged into the mains - I've seen it happen (and driven home 200 miles without satnav because of it).

Do you know what the difference is? is it because its trying to connect to a PC?

Tw
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea.. I know when you're in the home dock it always seems to do a full power cycle (rather than the suspend/resume it does when it's not docked) but that shouldn't affect the initial switchon.. unless it's a special condition for a post-reset reboot.

Ipods do the same.. if they crash they refuse to reboot until they're plugged into the mains (the standard dock isn't enough) - you just get a flashing icon with a plug on it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: