Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Carpool lanes and daylight saving on i3.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Carpool lanes and daylight saving on i3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Carpool lanes and daylight saving on i3. Reply with quote

Does any one know what carpool lanes is in the avoidances list on the i3. Also what does daylight saving mean in the time index.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Carpool lanes and daylight saving on i3. Reply with quote

mars.1 wrote:
Does any one know what carpool lanes is in the avoidances list on the i3. Also what does daylight saving mean in the time index.

The maps have a lot of attributes about the roads, the existance of carpool lanes on the road is one of them. If you tick the avoid box then the i3 will try to avoid them but if it can find a reasonable alternative route to take.

Daylight saving refers to the system of putting the clocks forward by 1 hour from standard time at the beginning of summer and back by one hour at the end of summer. Your GPS knows the correct time in universal time (UTC) but not your time zone offset from UTC or if you are observing daylight savings time at present. The Time Zone and Daylight Saving options configure this.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Carpool lane is also nown as a Multiple Occupancy Lane. You can only drive in them if you have two or more people in them. Designed to encourage car sharing. There are one or two in the UK.

I believe they are Diamond Lanes in the US.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very difficult for current software to incorporate this type of data, since the restriction usually only applies at certain times (Morning and Evening peak). Until navigation sotware becomes fully time (and day) aware, this type of warning is more likely to be an annoyance than a help.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
It is very difficult for current software to incorporate this type of data, since the restriction usually only applies at certain times (Morning and Evening peak). Until navigation sotware becomes fully time (and day) aware, this type of warning is more likely to be an annoyance than a help.

It is my understanding that the Navteq maps (maybe TeleAtlas too) have time information associated with certain road attributes.

One example that Garmin used to mention years ago was that the more advanced systems were aware of time restrictions and could route you accordingly. ie, no right turn from 7am to 9am and 4 pm to 6 pm. I don't know of any such intersections in the UK but they are often used in other countries.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Skippy, I seem to remember something similar myself, but can't find it anywhere. That is why I only said about navigation software being fully aware of the time and day, as even if it is included in the map data, the application would have to interpret it; but with this type of 'traffic engineering' so often being the flavour of the month, and regularly being 'tweaked', I wonder if we really want to rely on mapping which even when just released (to the end user) is regularly, a minimum of 18 months out of date. I think that this type of information (along with so many of the POI categories normally included in the map data, are better dealt with by updatable POI files (as with the safety camera database).

I ask, using restaurants as an example, by the time you added a new batch, and the user had the data, most of them will have closed, or changed ownership/name - so why do it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: