Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NAvman demo's are FAKE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NAvman demo's are FAKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: NAvman demo's are FAKE Reply with quote

Have you watched the navman demo's on their website where they show you a split screen view of the car driving down the road and the display from the navman GPS "smoothly" displaying the route your taking? What a joke that demo is when you actually use it in your own car, the screen refreshes about once every 8 seconds and is NOWHERE near as smooth as they would like you to believe.

To be honest this wouldn't be a problem were it not for the fact that about 50% of all voice commands for directions on roundabouts are wrong, if you go by the voice command and count the exits on a roundabout your never gonna reach your destination, you have to look at the map to follow the green line but since the screen refresh rate is so poor you can easily miss your turn if your going over 15 mph.

Blah Twisted Evil
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Navman are you using that refreshes the screen every 8 secs. My ICN520 is every 1 sec which is apparently the best allowed for consumer devices.
Tom Tom appears to update continuously but in reality the update is 1 second and the software makes estimates of your position between the 1 second updates and fills in the blanks.
dizzyfergy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have to admit that the refresh rate on the screen of my 520 isn’t silky smooth, but as Terrywalsh says it does refresh about every second or so . As for the roundabouts I tend to look at the screen anyway to get the road number right.
FlickHammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a navman icn 530

It takes around 6 or 7 seconds to register a right or left turn and displays it very jerkily in about 2 to 3 frames, watching for your exit on a roundabout is often impossible due to the slowness of the refresh rate.

Again the navman demo's are fake, there is absolutely no way on earth that it represents the true working of their GPS's, their screen refresh rate is about 10 times a second and is silky smooth.

Its their demo that sold me the icn530 and I have to be honest if they showed a REAL representation of it in use I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Its just crap advertising tactics (and probably illegal) to hide their software/hardware botch. Advertising standards are very much against this type of practice.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really getting 8 seconds between screen updates you have a faulty unit. Return it for a replacement or refund. You should be getting a screen update once a second.
As for the roundabouts guidence- you should learn to count exits. Note the emphisis. Occationally the map data might be wrong - but that is TA's data, not Navman.
Good luck learning to count Smile
dizzyfergy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got to agree if flicks unit is performing as bad as that , then it must be a faulty unit . My older 520 is a lot more fluid at showing junctions and roundabouts, and the 520 uses older software and previous generation gps acquisition hardware
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the point about the exit number on round abouts being incorrect, I have found that but rarely, when a new exit may have been added in the last couple of years. You do have to remember that dual carriageway entries and factory or park entrances are not counted by the software as exits.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor No entry roads, entries into Industrial Estates, etc., and there are some errors, of course. One near me counts the entrance to someone's drive as a valid exit, for instance!
Sunnygjg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use an iCN 530 but I certainly don't recognise the problems that Flick is reporting.
I'm as pleased as punch with mine which hasn't let me down once yet. I've had it a couple of months now and have been all round the south east and south west without a hitch so far.
I think if I were you Flick I'd return your unit as faulty. Sad
gabbygall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the best update a unit can get is 1 update per second, however, I run Tomtom Navigator on my Navman as well, and even though the software interpolates each update with about 2 `pseudo` updates, the feeling of smooth flowing updates really does make navigating visually using the unit a whole lot more `natural`. Defintely something Navman should look at. Whats the update like on other devices such as Garmins?
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much tme do people actually sit looking at the screen, unless of course you are the passenger. Personally I just glance at it to to confirm or clarify a verbal instruction, so the 1 second update is not generally an issue.

Terry Walsh

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: