Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cameras for France and Italy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cameras for France and Italy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mediaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Cameras for France and Italy Reply with quote

I have put the latest speed camera database successfully into my Great Britain Plus map.

I'm going to France and Italy. Which maps would be helpful for those? And do I put them directly IN the France map folder and the Italy map folder?

Many thanks
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need the single european file if you are using the PGPS database, and it would need to be within each map folder that you wish to use it with. Because it's a single file, you won't get different warnings for different camera types, or speeds, just a simple warning of each camera location
mediaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - are they many cameras listed for France and Italy do you know?
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mediaman wrote:

Don't know what the coverage is. You will need to subscribe to PGPS, for £2 for a month, or £19 for a year. You can then download the file. Depends how often you want speed camera updates. Both subscriptions will give you the full UK database, as well as the European ones.
mediaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your prompt help
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mediaman wrote:
There are 16 cameras listed in France and no Italian ones. Have a search on these forums for GPSPassion for French cameras, but I can't find any links for Italian cameras.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This any good:?

http://www.scdb.info/en/

or here:?

http://www.alertegps.com/
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, the majority of foreign cameras are police mobile. During a recent holiday in Germany, I didn't see a single fixed camera, but several mobile police traps. There were no advance warning signs as you get in UK, and from what I could gather, there was no restriction on where the trap could be set up. So, effectively, anywhere in the country could be a mobile location. Crying or Very sad
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just back from france and spain and I used the alertgps database for them. France was a pain in the backside, the database lists the mobile sites aswell and I got a warning on nearly every motorway bridge. In the end I got so annoyed with constant warnings, I turned it off. The fixed sites usually (on motorways) have a warning sign just before them and everyone slows (as over here!) so you know when there coming. As you can do 130 kph (85mph gps speed or 90mph when using your speedo!!) they aren't really a problem. I guess normal roads are, but I didn't use them.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSW Fgn cams are limited in comparison with the two other sites listed earlier. For example both have over 700 Frence fixed sites alone. PGPSW 7.

I agree with the comments about the mobile site warnings generally, far too many, usually one per over route bridge! In France you can get a Mobile Camera set up just about anywhere, (2500 + listed in Alert for France alone) particularly on the major routes to the south. If you try and dodge the mobile radars in France with a gps you'll have a nervous tick before you've gone 100 miles from the coast!

As a quick assessment of your route try http://www.radarsfixes.com, this show the main fixed locations on a map. Something the other sites do not do.

Which is better?

IMHO, PGPSW for the UK, and for France, the Alert free database (the Alert subscription with enhanced information is 35 Euro!). Stay within the limit in France or take plenty of Euro's for the local Gendamerie on the spot fines!

TTFN.
SatMap
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it best to switch the TT to KPH on the way over and use it as my speedo. It helps you stay under the limit and makes it eeasier to keep track of your speed relative to the road signs than using the spinning magnet behind your dash.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: