Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disable or skip the TT5 legal notice / splash screen?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disable or skip the TT5 legal notice / splash screen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but here is where you are going wrong. You are applying common sense. Neither the American legal system or Tom Tom have any of that to spare. Smile
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not ready to say "I told you so" quite yet, but I did receive the following response to my issue from TomTom technical support, which suggests that compulsory repititious legal notices are unintentional. A canned answer from one tech rep is often misleading - so if others with the same problem would make the same inquirey and post here, I would appreciate it.

Here is what I got back (abridged), basically saying I need an update:
TomTom Support wrote:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
My TomTom software forces me to sign the legal notice every time I launch the...

Discussion Thread
Response (Christian B.) - 26/07/2006 10.42 AM
Dear Mr Gombos,

Thank you for your message to TomTom Customer Support.

To download and install the latest software update for your Tom Tom device, please follow the steps below.

Note: Before installation, make sure all TomTom CD's have been removed from your computer

1. Download and open the latest update for your device.

TomTom GO: http://www.tomtom.com/1737
TomTom ONE: http://www.tomtom.com/3587
TomTom RIDER: http://www.tomtom.com/3590

2. In the menu, select [Install the application].

3. Once the message [Installation complete] is displayed, you can exit the programme.

We hope to have answered your question
Should you have any questions or suggestions, please let us know.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer
My TomTom software forces me to sign the legal notice every time I launch the application. I've found that other users do not have this problem, so it's a defect in
my version. Others are asked to sign a legal notice the first time they run the software, but never again thereafter. How can I submit my unit for repair? I don't
have a repair number yet.

Product Level 1: PDA Navigation
Product Level 2: TomTom Navigator for Palm
Product Level 3: Software+Maps
Category Level 1: Repair & Service
Date Created: 25/07/2006 05.11 PM
Last Updated: 26/07/2006 10.42 AM

I'm already running with the latest (5.201), so updating doesn't solve the problem. But it seems to suggest that my problem is unexpected by TomTom. Granted, my question was loaded. I wanted a response, and didn't want to come off abbrasively and accuse them of doing something foolish.
gsbravo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Ah but here is where you are going wrong. You are applying common sense. Neither the American legal system or Tom Tom have any of that to spare. Smile

Can't really speak for TomTom, but our legal system...that's different. There is a guy suing Michael Jordan, because he looks like Michael Jordan.
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running TTN5.21 US here, all legal, and I have gotten the notice every single time.

I do power down with TT running when I leave the car, but even when I start-stop-start officially, I get the damned notice.
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: My trouble report reached the second tier of tech support. Reply with quote

The 2nd tier tech support made the following recommendation (which did not solve my problem). Perhaps it will work for others:

Code:

Please check if the SD card is write protected.If so you will need to unlock it.If this is not locked please follow the steps outlined below.

Otherwise try the following:
1.Remove the SD card from the palm
2.Delete "Navigator" and "contacts navigation".
3.Soft reset the palm
4.Insert the SD card again and follow the instructions on the screen.

Please contact us if this does not resolve the issue.

I told them it didn't work for me, and I'm waiting to hear back.
gsbravo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My trouble report reached the second tier of tech suppor Reply with quote

jgombos wrote:
The 2nd tier tech support made the following recommendation (which did not solve my problem). Perhaps it will work for others.

Wow, this did nothing except reinstall it. And make me re-enter the activation codes for the maps. After having to reset my home address. After having to re-set my preferences.

As far as their solution goes, yeah for backups.
Synmag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: I'm running a legit copy as well of the NA version on a palm Reply with quote

and I always get the notice as well. I'm running last year's free updated maps/software. I think in this case the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. NA market is probably so small that the csr doesn't realize it's normal for the NA version to get the notice all the time.

BTW when I don't exit the app properly it launches automatically for me when I turn on my PDA the following time WITHOUT the notice! i.e hit the home icon on the palm instead of the exit icon from TTN.

If anyone has a hack to remove this I sure would appreciate it.
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: I'm running a legit copy as well of the NA version on a Reply with quote

Synmag wrote:

If anyone has a hack to remove this I sure would appreciate it.

This may be a classic case of the illegit copy being superior to the legit one. Has anyone tried a black market copy to see whether the legal notice defect has been fixed?
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Third response from TomTom: Reply with quote

David Ouellette on behalf of TomTom wrote:

We apologize for the information you have received in the past. The legal notice is programmed to come up on all PDA's everytime you access the software.

Unbelievable. That's all he said. So it's supposed to show the notice everytime, and those who only saw it once have a defective copy. So where can I get a defective copy?

Seriously, I want a refund, and securemart.com (where I bought the damn thing) does not accept returns for Palm products under any circumstances. Has anyone attempted to persuay TomTom to take it back? Or Palm? I'm not even sure who to try to deal with.

Who manufactured the hardware, exactly?
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running an HP 4150 for the last 3/4 years and only recall seeing this disclaimer when first installed and again after a couple of hard resets. I can't even remember what it looks like now...and yes, mine is a legitimate copy.
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeact wrote:
I've been running an HP 4150 for the last 3/4 years and only recall seeing this disclaimer when first installed and again after a couple of hard resets. I can't even remember what it looks like now...and yes, mine is a legitimate copy.

There is a clear pattern of Americans who see it everytime, and non-Americans who see it once per install. I want the UK version instead.
Synmag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgombos wrote:
Mikeact wrote:

... I want the UK version instead.

Mee too. Looks like I'll have to track down a UK pirate copy. Since I paid for the NA version there is nothing wrong with that right? It's like the reverse of first downloading a game to try and then buying it if I liked it. Although a hack to remove the warning would be much simpler.

You know it's not so much the fact I don't like the warrning. It's the interaction I hate. Why can't they just show a splash screen for a few seconds and then start the program without requiring a click, touch whatever.
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synmag wrote:
Looks like I'll have to track down a UK pirate copy. Since I paid for the NA version there is nothing wrong with that right?

If by "wrong" you mean unethical, then no, it's perfectly ethical. In fact I'd take it a step further and say it's unethical to support the distribution of the NA version by buying it (since it's unsafe and a nuissance to consumers). You should return it if possible. Canadians must be even more upset, because they're caught in the middle getting screwed by what I'll call TomTom's demoralizing attack on the US court system.

As far as the law goes, it's probably still illegal to grab the UK version, but it would be very difficult to enforce particularly in your situation.
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, this screen comes up once only if a correctly named cfg file is in the map directory of the map last used. If you do not shut down tomtom using the red software button, it does not save a correct cfg file, so this problem reoccurs. I use the USA maps with TTN v5.21 and they are version 567. This screen only appears the once, on the first time of using a particular map, after that never shows again. I found that changing the directory name of the map to include the version had the same effect, as the cfg file is named from the map folder name. Perhaps you are using an SD memory card, and it is locked, so nothing can be written to the card. That would have the same effect.
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmbaker wrote:
As far as I am aware, this screen comes up once only if a correctly named cfg file is in the map directory of the map last used.

Would you please post a copy of one of your cfg files, and tell me what the map folder for it is named? I'd like to see if it will work for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: