Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Citymaps (PalmOS) with Bluetooth GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Citymaps (PalmOS) with Bluetooth GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sylvester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Citymaps (PalmOS) with Bluetooth GPS Reply with quote

In response to a plea I posted on Usnet, Darren Griffen kindly wrote:
You may want to post your enquiry in our TomTom forums, certainly CityMaps works fine with a BT receiver on a PocketPC, we have PalmOS users on the forums so you may get a solution.

So here goes!

If anyone's familiar with using Tomtom products (Citymaps in particular) with Bluetooth GPS, they might be able to help me.

I've Googled for this problem, and found no result; forgive me if I've missed something obvious! No useful response from Tomtom tech support.

The problem is getting Citymaps 2.0 to recognise data from a Bluetooth GPS. Full details below. Can anyone offer advice or opinion?

Here's the exchange of messages from Tomtom's online support function.

First, I wrote:
17/12/2003 10:13 AM

Good morning!

PDA manufacturer = Sony
PDA model = Clié PEG-N770C
PDA OS version = 4.1
PC Operating system = Windows XP Professional
GPS type = other
Bluetooth Memory Stick PEGA-MSB1 is installed on the Clié.
EMTAC Bluetooth GPS CRUXII/BTGPS.

Problem: Citymaps reports no data from GPS and does not seem to connect to it.

Step taken: Installed Emtac diagnostic on Clié and confirmed that the Clié is receiving datastream from the GPS.

Help! How do I make Citymaps recognise the GPS?

Thanks in hopeful anticipation.

Martin.
Then I wrote:
17/12/2003 10:19 AM

Citymaps for Palm OS Version 2.0 (Build 572)

Tomtom's first response came 47½ hours later; they wrote:
[name of customer service team member removed]
19/12/2003 09:46 AM

Dear Mr Sylvester,

How much internal memory is left in your PDA? Do you have the latest EMTEC driver for the Palm installed for your device? Which driver is it? The Bluetooth conection is made between external memory stick or is their an internal tool?

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

In reply, I wrote:
20/12/2003 12:36 PM

1. There is 2.8MB free internal memory left on the device.

2. I've emailed EMTAC for information about a PalmOS driver. I'm not sure why I'd need one, though. Third party GPS utilities are working perfectly, and the demo version of Hekosoft Digi-map is displaying the correct position.

3. The Bluetooth connection between the Clié and the Bluetooth GPS is made using the PEGA-MSB1, a Bluetooth memory stick which is installed in the Memory Stick slot on the Clié.

That was Friday; today's Wednesday. I've not received any further response from Tomtom. Oh, and mail to the EMTAC support address given for the UK is bouncing.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Does Citymaps only work with a Tomtom badged GPS? Or only with one connected by wire, not Bluetooth? Is there some hack I should install to make the BT connection appear wired? Or is there some configuration option I've missed?

All help gratefully received!

Martin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: