Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSlim236 takes ages to get fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSlim236 takes ages to get fix
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically its knackered.

or as HAL put it "There is a 98% chance that the AE35 unit will fail." Wink

AllyCat wrote:
Hi,

Who is "Jim"? Is oznav just posting the same entry in multiple threads Sad

And, am I showing my age, but what does "goosed" mean? The source and meaning of such information would be helpful Smile .

Cheers, Alan.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks, I thought that might be what you meant, but do you know what's happened, and where has the information come from? Has Holux changed the hardware/firmware for the 236-6xxx serial numbers, or are they counterfeit, or.....?

Although oznav's comments seem OTT, there do seem to be some unanswered questions, such as where did Nav4All get their (obsolete) stock? They're not particularly cheap, bearing in mind that they come without a mains adapter and CDROM, sometimes with obsolete firmware and little customer support from Nav4All.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
PC_Arcade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meestermartinho wrote:
Products with serial number starting 236-6XXXXX are goosed apparently.
Contact holux or the seller.

mikealder wrote:
Have a read through THIS POST pay attention to the post buy JM HoluxUK as it contains iformation re serial number and firmware revision (to locate the serial number remove the back and it is under the battery), I have two Holux 236 devices both of which take around 30 seconds to acquire a fix, unless I haven't used them for a few days/ weeks. I certainly wouldn't have bought a second unit if I was not 100% happy with the first unit, they are a great bit of kit IMHO - Mike

Do you have a source for this information?

Is there anyway to fix these units with a firmware upgrade?

I have one of them and it takes FOREVER to get a fix, and from reading here Holux UK won't help as it was bought direct from taiwan.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bird told me dont know where nav4all got their stock but theres a reason there cheap.

AllyCat wrote:
Hi,

Thanks, I thought that might be what you meant, but do you know what's happened, and where has the information come from? Has Holux changed the hardware/firmware for the 236-6xxx serial numbers, or are they counterfeit, or.....?

Although oznav's comments seem OTT, there do seem to be some unanswered questions, such as where did Nav4All get their (obsolete) stock? They're not particularly cheap, bearing in mind that they come without a mains adapter and CDROM, sometimes with obsolete firmware and little customer support from Nav4All.

Cheers, Alan.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=42774

No source i made it up at random but see above.

PC_Arcade wrote:

Do you have a source for this information?

Is there anyway to fix these units with a firmware upgrade?

I have one of them and it takes FOREVER to get a fix, and from reading here Holux UK won't help as it was bought direct from taiwa

n.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meestermartinho wrote:
Products with serial number starting 236-6XXXXX are goosed apparently.

It seems to me that the problem can be fixed by a simple firmware upgrade. It's nice to see that Holux-UK are now making the firmware available for download.

AllyCat wrote:
there do seem to be some unanswered questions, such as where did Nav4All get their (obsolete) stock? They're not particularly cheap, bearing in mind that they come without a mains adapter and CDROM, sometimes with obsolete firmware and little customer support from Nav4All.

Perhaps Nav4all's GPS units are "Grey imports"? I don't think you could call them "obsolete", it seems to me that the only problem is that the firmware is out of date. Loads of electronic devices ship with out of date firmware - it's no big deal. If there are serious problems with a firmware release, then you would expect that the retailer would do the upgrade before they sold the unit though. Confused

As for the lack of mains charger, my phone uses this same connector so I already have 2 mains chargers that will fit my Holux, plus a cigarette lighter adaptor that I brought for a few quid and don't forget that you can charge it up using a normal USB cable conected to a computer too.

As for the CD that comes with the GPS - is there anything on the CD that you can't download? It is not unusual for these CDs to contain out of date software so you have to download the latest versions anyway...

So I guess that the bottom line is that if you are happy to upgrade your own firmware (and risk having to send it back to the retailer or Holux if the upgrade fails half way through), you don't need another power brick to go with your collection and you have Internet access to download the software which should be included on CD (you probably don't need it anyway) then get one from Nav4all.

Otherwise, pay an extra 50% on the price and buy an "official" UK unit which will come with a power brick, CD and peace of mind. Wink
PC_Arcade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's a 236-6xxxxx and it came shipped with the 3.1.1 firmware, it was bought through Merchantrun on ebay and not nav4all (it also came complete with chargers and CD rom).

So does it follow that there's nothing wrong with the 236-6xxxx merely the ones from Nav4all?
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PC_Arcade,

Facts are in rather short supply, but from other posts, it does seem that there may be a "bad batch" with 236-6xxx serial numbers.

Some of the Nav4All devices definitely have the "old" software, which can be upgraded. But I (and Holux) don't really agree with Skippy that the firmware upgrade is "simple". Firstly, using the BlueTooth connection is a "high risk" method, and a suitable connecting cable (for firmware upgrading) is not supplied in the kit. Secondly, the Nav4All "small print" T&Cs state that upgrading the firmware invalidates their warranty.

Personally, I thought that the lack of a "power brick" and the risks of purchasing from another country was a reasonable justification for the lower Nav4All price. So I was rather displeased that also the firmware was more than 9 months out-of-date.

Sorting out the interface cable and upgrade has given me some "entertainment", but for people who just want to *use* their GPS, then this seems to be a product area where after-sales support from a UK (or local) retailer may be of considerable value.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
PC_Arcade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, according to GPS viewer, I had the latest firmware anyway.

I've hard reset the unit and it seems to be alright now, I guess even with the new firmware the 236 is just a little flaky (my unit anyway).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: