Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which dbase does Garmin use?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which dbase does Garmin use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Which dbase does Garmin use? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just (this morning) bought a Garmin 310D from Halfords and it seems like a great piece of kit. But I have one question relatingto the Garmin POI Loader.

Firstly I should point out that I have yet to plug my SatNav into a PC as I'm at home on a Mac. So I could be jumping the gun a little bit here...

Which speed camera database does the Garmin POI Loader use, or is it a case of me deciding in the Loader software? If it's not the PGPSW database can I easily choose to use this instead?

Additionally, I'm off the France in a few weeks. Is loading French cameras a fairly easy process?

Thanks

Now off to another PGSW forum to ask some other newbie questions :D
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres the how to for our database
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33666#181828

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the link.

I really should be less bloke like and make more of an effort to read instructions first (for both my new Garmin and also of this forum).

I will load up my Garmin POI Loader at work tomorrow
sherman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello mate Ive got a 310 and its great I normally use the speed zone camera database just remember you wont get any warnings or icons appear unless you are exceeding the limit :D
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded the speed zone camera database. Didn't appreciate that this was something I'd have to pay extra for - the box and the sales pitch in Halfords kinda makes out that "you can just download the speed camera locations".

But isnt there a way of setting up the Nuvi so that it does tell you the locations and speed limits even if you are driving within them?

Also didn't really appreciate that in order to make my 310D really a European unit then I need to buy an additional SD card onto which I'll have to load the maps.

Kinda makes the £400 price tag actually more like £440 if you really want it to do whatit says it can do on the box.

Great piece of kit all the same though
sherman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well mate if you put it into perspective would rather the fine and the points or pay a subscription that updates on a monthly basis ermmmm let me think I know the one Ive gone for 8O
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't have a problem with £19 - I agree with your thoughts on comparing that to the true cost of a ticket.

My issue is with the misleading packaging / sales pitch of the 310D, whereby to make the unit do what it says it can do on the box the real cost goes up by approx. 10%.

It's still a great piece of kit, and given that you get the TrafficMaster receiver and subscription it does compare very well to a similar unit from TomTom. But it is a bit annoying to open the box to then find out that you've got to then shell out more money if you want to have access to full European maps etc.
sherman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that down to the salesmans mentality dont you think if he told you all the hidden extras then you wouldnt buy it
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest pricing never hurt anyone. Even by pricing the unit at £440 which included a year's subscription to PGPSW and a 1Gb SD card the thing would still be competitively priced.

It's a bit llike this damn laptop I've got. Got it out of the box, turned out that you needed to buy extra software to burn a CD, and additonal paid for codecs (or something) to watch a DVD. Typically Microsoft - we make the operating system, the PC manufacturer should supply the other bits of software that make it a computer! I always prefer things doing what they say on the tin.
sherman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep thats right in an ideal world mate, but we dont live in one do we ??
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. It's not an ideal world. But generally speaking one shrugs one's shoulders and rolls out the "it's not an ideal world" line about things which we really have no control over - earhquakes, that sort of thing.

Honest pricing doesn't fit into that category.

People used to say that sort of thing about crap trains and bins not being emptied by the council - "well of course, I'd like the trains to run on time, but it's not an ideal world is it"
sherman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id Like to win the lottery but its not an ideal world :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: