Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PLEASE HELP: Tom Tom Navigator 5 - Bluetooth
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PLEASE HELP: Tom Tom Navigator 5 - Bluetooth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-IK-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: PLEASE HELP: Tom Tom Navigator 5 - Bluetooth Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a simple problem, but I couldn't find other threads that gave me any real help...Apologies if I've missed one.

I have the above mentioned Sat Nav software and hardware running on an O2 XDA Exec.

The software runs fine and is very nice, but it takes an age to find a fix to a satelite whether I have just started the software and turned on the hardware receiver, or whether I have turned on the hardware after it has briefly been off.

I'm talking upto and over 10 minutes to get a fix when I'm outside directly under the sky (no overhead obstructions).

What is wrong?

I need to know quickly, because if (as I believe) the hardware is faulty, it has to be returned ASAP...Some people have said that there is a battery backup memory in the hardware reciver that is faulty....

Please help me if you have any ideas....It was a birthday present from the girlfriend and I can't believe this is how it should be working.

Thankyou.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which GPS unit are you using? and has it been fully charged prior to use? - I have recently had problems with a unit taking ages to obtain a fix until it had been left on charge overnight for the third time, although this should not be required - Mike
-IK-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply.

It is the complete Tom Tom Package for PDA version 5 that comes with a bluetooth receiver so the receiver is branded Tom Tom but I don't know who really makes it...The unit has been fully charged.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the unit is doing this after being switched on and used for a few hours, and the next time you switch it on it takes 10 mins then it is clearly faulty, what was the duration between last usage, if more than a few days this can upset the location - my guess is a deffective back-up battery, SiRF-III chipset units seldom take more than a min to get going often much less, one other point you are stationary when trying this are you? - if you are at speed or moving the unit will strugle to lock on to the signal, and can take considerably longer than when sat still - Mike
-IK-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...I am stationary and the unit does this literally whenever I turn it on...Whether it has been a couple of mins or a few hours.

Right, its going back.

I only hope that the discounted price my girlfriend got this package for off an ebay retailer wasn't because he had a dodgy batch.

This was a fully sealed brand new package with serial numbers so if the worst comes to the worst, can I get Tom Tom involved somehow?

Cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt its a faulty batch, the device is a reliable unit, it looks like you have just been unlucky. Take it up with the supplier and demand a replacement item, if they are reputable they will honour their contract and replace the deffective item - Mike
-IK-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help...Appreciated Smile
-IK-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my replacement unit, but it is worst than the last one.

I just can't get a lock onto the sattelites. I can see that the sats are being searched for through the software, but it never gets a lock even after 10 mins.

Has noone else ever experienced this before...Am I really unlucky or am I doing something wrong.

Any help appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets try a different approach, run up the devices and make sure you are well away from any buildings etc (a park, or open spaced car park will suffice, outside close to buildings can cause problems due to reflected signals, unusual but it depends on the location), leave the units like this for 30 mins after which you should have acquired a sat lock (blue bars instead of grey) - don't move the unit and make sure it is outside, not in the car.
After the 30 mins put the device in the car and see if it still works - what type of car is this, certain vehicles are fitted with Athermic coated glass which does present a problem, hence my sugestion to take it all outside for a while first - once this initial alignment is performed the unit should work fine each day - Mike
-IK-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I'll explain a bit more.

I don't use the device in a car...i use it on a bike....The GPS unit is strapped down to near the handlebars and is always under the direct sky.

That was the old unit, I have not strapped this new GPS to the bike yet as it won't get a lock.

What I have done is hold the unit in my palm (again directly under the sky) and walk to my local Tescos to buy a sandwiche....There and back is about 15 minutes.

The XDA was seeing the GPS and through the Navigator 5 screen, I could see that it was constantly getting different signal strengths...Sometimes 4 bars and sometimes 3....This was continous for like 15 mins.

Not once however did it obtain a lock.

Grrr...This whole thing is p*ssing me off now as this was a present and it hasn't worked properly since day 1.

I will try the idea of leaving the GPS and my XDA outside for half an hour without moving either....After that I'm just going to get my money back.

Any other suggestions.

By the way, the GPS unit is not fully charged...I haven't charged it since taking it out of the packet, but it has a good charge as the light remains green and not red.

Help...Anyone?

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
run up the devices and make sure you are well away from any buildings etc (a park, or open spaced car park will suffice, outside close to buildings can cause problems due to reflected signals, unusual but it depends on the location), leave the units like this for 30 mins after which you should have acquired a sat lock (blue bars instead of grey) - don't move the unit and make sure it is outside
Please re-read this bit, the GPS unit has a lot of data to download from the satelites for its first fix, moving it (even walking) is not a good idea and it is close to buildings.
I recieved another GPS unit this morning SiRF-III chipset and out of the box, gave it less than two mins in a fixed location and it acquired the fix. If you are moving you might never achieve this - Mike
-IK-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh sorry Mike, I should have read the bit about keeping still.

IT LIVES Laughing

So I managed to keep still for more than 5 minutes and a lock was found in that time....I turned off everything and rebooted the phone....Upon turning everything back on, a lock was found in about 10 seconds or less.

So everything works now....Even turning off, travelling 10 miles then turning everything back on resulted in a lock being obtained in about 30 seconds...WOOO

Thanks Mike....Great help mate. Not Worthy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: