Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 510 , POI problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 510 , POI problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotty66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: TT 510 , POI problem Reply with quote

Today while driving home I was in urgent need of petrol so I selected POI - near me , it then gives a list of Petrol stations with distances next to them ( 0.5m , 0.7m etc )

whenever I chose one , eg the 0.5mile one and it calculated route i would be an entirely different distance away ( 17 miles for example ) , this happened on all that I selectes , they were no where near me and not the distance stated in the list

I tried clearing my route before selecting and also powering off/on

any ideas ?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to the screen showing the Petrol Stations, look to the bottom centre of the screen and tap on Route which will change to Position, and show the nearest garages to where you are.

The dark green arrows straight up are on route, lighter green angled are slightly off route and yellow off route.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't explain why the distances were incorrect though?

Rotty, can you say where you were so we can try duplicating what you were getting.
rotty66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the M6 ( south ) between the aston expressway ( a38 ) and the M42
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't wrong Andy_P2002, the default positions shown are on route and there will be a mixture of yellow, blank, green and dark green arrows and be in order from, for example, your Home, if that's where you started, and the nearest one to your Home showing first, even if it's off route.

Tap the 'Route' as I said earlier and the list will be from your position.

I made a similar mistake when I first used mine in France, I wanted a Rest Area and chose the first one showing a dark green arrow, I was directed off the Autoroute and it tried to direct me back the other way i.e the nearest one. I stopped and had to work out what I had done wrong. Embarassed [/quote]
rotty66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried it at home and though there are discrepancies between the distance in the list and the calculated route they are only minor

I tried it using "near me" and "on route" and results were the same
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried it using "near me" and "on route" and results were the same
That's right rotty66, because the 'near me' and 'on route are almost the same when you first set a route, the only difference will be 'near me' could show a garage closer to your starting point which is nearer than a garage 'on route'.

The proof of the pudding, and whether I have a red face on not and if I have to apologise to Andy_P2002, who is mostly right Evil or Very Mad , is when you try it on the route you mentioned earlier.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the answer be a bit simpler. The distances to POIs on the list are normally "as the crow flies" aren't they? They can't be travel distance because at that point a route has not been plotted. Once you choose one it then plots the route and the distance then becomes the actual travel distance

Those two are often similar except when, like the OP, you are on a motorway and have to use the next exit, some miles down the motorway and then double back on yourself.

Or have I got it all wrong (been doing that a bit too often lately)?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could the answer be a bit simpler. The distances to POIs on the list are normally "as the crow flies" aren't they?
Thinking about it, yes, because although I live in North Kent I can be shown POI's in Essex which are obviously further than that shown.

Quote:
Once you choose one it then plots the route and the distance then becomes the actual travel distance
Yes, I thought I'd said that, must have been the lateness of the hour. Embarassed

Quote:
Those two are often similar except when, like the OP, you are on a motorway and have to use the next exit, some miles down the motorway and then double back on yourself.

My mistake, in France, was by leaving 'On Route' shown, I hadn't realised at that time I could select 'from Position', when looking for a Rest Area. Spotted it, switched to 'from Position, chose top one on the list and everything was fine. Maybe I was lucky and the nearest one was towards home. I wonder what would have happened if the nearest one had been in the opposite direction. Maybe better switch POI's on, on screen, in future to double check.

Quote:
Or have I got it all wrong

At this point it's in the balance. :D

Quote:
(been doing that a bit too often lately)?

I'm not so sure about that statement.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lost_Property"]
Quote:

The proof of the pudding, and whether I have a red face on not and if I have to apologise to Andy_P2002, who is mostly right Evil or Very Mad , is when you try it on the route you mentioned earlier.

Laughing Out Loud Laughing No mate, I'm guessing! My TomTom has "gone AWOL" with the wife for a few days so I'm entirely in the dark here and working from memory!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: