Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tenerife / Canary Islands
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tenerife / Canary Islands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chickenstu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Tenerife / Canary Islands Reply with quote

Hi,

I considering an HP / Michenlin GPS bundle and wondered about coverage of the Canary Islands...mainly Tenerife.

Are there any up to date maps for this area available. Would they come as standard with the HP bundle or can they be downloaded separately as with tomtom city maps?

Thanks in advance

Stu
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chickenstu, with the standard bundel you get UK and Irland, thats it, you can buy maps, but not sure about Canary Islands and Tenerife, have a look on their web site.

http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/csasp_index.asp?id=141
chickenstu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your answer but I wasn't wanting to buy a complete map. I know tomtom sell 'city maps' and apparently 1 city map will cover the whole of tenerfe. They are only 5 euros for a city map. I wondered if michilen did something similar
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the full set of European maps and this includes the Canaries. If you were to purchase the set with Spain, I am sure it would be included as the Canaries are an integral part of Spain (as opposed to a colony or territory).

However, yet again, can I point out that you are asking questions in a ViaMichelin forum yet metnioning TomTom. Are you in the correct forum? Or do you realise that ViaMichelin requires ViaMichelin mapping?
chickenstu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metroace wrote:
However, yet again, can I point out that you are asking questions in a ViaMichelin forum yet metnioning TomTom. Are you in the correct forum? Or do you realise that ViaMichelin requires ViaMichelin mapping?

Yes I know...I was just asking if viamichelin did a similar thing to tomtom. ie. sell localised small maps for a small instead of having to but a whole country.
It's a shame to have to buy the whole of Spain just to cover 1 small island dont you think?
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you were a Spaniard only wishing to buy the Orkneys? Sorry, you would have to buy the whole of the UK.
chickenstu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metroace wrote:
What if you were a Spaniard only wishing to buy the Orkneys? Sorry, you would have to buy the whole of the UK.

Thanks for the attitude. I don't see why the question is so unreasonable.

If I was a Spaniard visiting Orkney and I used a Tomtom, I would be able to buy a city map of Kirkwall which would cover the whole of the Orkneys as it is a small area. This would cost me 4.95 euros. I would not have to buy an entire UK map. From your replies it is becoming obvious that Viamichelin do not do smaller maps at lower prices, therefore perhaps I will go the Tomom route instead.

Perhaps this is something that Viamichelin might consider for the future.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no attitude intended, sorry that you saw it that way.

I checked the TomTom site and see that yes, you can buy a map of just the Orkneys for €4.95. But I also searched some more and found that their map of Spain specifically excludes the Canaries but that you can buy maps of Tenerife for €4.95 although it appears that you might have to buy at least two to cover the whole island as there appears to be a map set for Arona and another for Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your travles. My GPS will be guiding me around the highways and byways of Ibiza for the next two weeks. It's been over 10 years since I've been and I wonder how much has changed.
chickenstu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry I took things the wrong way!

Either City Map from Tomtom apparently covers all of Tenerife...I just wish Michelin would do something similar to these small maps as I must say I'm really tempted by the versatility of a PDA but would like the all in one cradle for a tidier install.

Thanks
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for TomTom, be careful about leaving the cradle in view in your vehicle. They are the latest reason that cars are being broken into as a cradle often means the unit is hidden somewhere in the car. Remember to take the cradle as well. Funnily enough, PDA cradles do not lead to cars being broken into as PDA users take their PDAs with them and the thieves seem to know this.

I agree that VM should consider smaller maps. This year, my travels take me to Ibiza and Berlin/Potsdam with another visit to Tenerife early next year. It would have been good just to have the option to buy a couple of smaller add-on maps rather than having to buy the whole of Europe.
chickenstu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the maps interchangeable between units. If we bought 2 HP Navigator PDA kits, would we need 2 of each map or could they swapped. Are they activated to an individual unit?

Thanks
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the maps are downloaded onto your computer, I believe that you can install the map sets you wish onto any PDA running the VM software (subject to remaining memory).
chickenstu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, 1 final question (honest!)..I wish the support number was open weekends!

On this page....

http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/csasp_index.asp?id=139

I can buy a Spainsh map but it also says...

"Please note that the Maps and Route Planning software for PDAs is not compatible with ViaMichelin Navigation."

So these wont work on an HP PDA Bundle in the same way that the supplied UK & Ireland maps would?
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, these are route planning products that cannot link to GPS products such as ViaMichelin. Think of them as being like Microsoft AutoRoute which until a few years ago also could not be linked to GPS.

So okay for planning a route, but you would need a passenger to follow it and tell you where to go. And then no recalculation of your route when it all goes horribly wrong, which it is prone to do when you are abroad!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: