Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - T5 Fatal Exception
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

T5 Fatal Exception

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
judydye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: T5 Fatal Exception Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone here can help me. ViaMichelin won't/can't.

I have a Palm Tungsten T5 which works quite happily with ViaMichelin 3.3. I synchronize the palm daily at work and at home. Whenever I sync at work having previously synced at home (or vice versa), I get a Fatal Exception, reset the palm and everything is OK.

In an attempt to find the culprit program, I installed a really useful little app called Crash (from www.79bmedia.com). Every time, it has identified gpsutility 1.5 as being the culprit.

Is there an upgrade to the utility, do I need to have it on the palm or is their an alternative. As far as I understand, it is the driver program for communicating with the Kirrio GPS unit.

Thanks for any help

Judy
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viaMichelin have put a block in the software to ensure the siftware is only installed on one PC and this shows up as sync error (FFFF) when you sync on the machine with the copy of vM on it. However it is not a truly "Fatal" error and only affects the vM software. It is quickly resolved by simplying resyncing a second time after you get the fatal error at which point vM sync properly and copies over any POI files etc that need installing.
judydye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks elan2s, that's exactly right! You've answered my question in a day when ViaM have not in 7 months.

I do get those sync errors in the log but I didn't realize that the second sync actually did the poi's. My only problem then is the fact that it does a soft reset every time but at least I understand why and what's happening. I may end up uninstalling it on my work machine....

Cheers

Judy
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help

I also get random locking up following a hot sync which requires a soft reset but I just put up with it.

In my case I only have vM on the one machine (my home machine is an iMac) but still have the sync error issue, clearly vM cannot comprehend the idea of people having more than one machine to sync on. You are therefore unlikely to find that removing vM off your work machine will resolve the problem completely

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: