Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WHICH TOM TOM TO BUY
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WHICH TOM TOM TO BUY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: WHICH TOM TOM TO BUY Reply with quote

I need some help on which Tom Tom to buy, i want to be able to use the tom tom at home (UK) and also in the USA, pc world have a sale so it would be the 300 or 700,where do i buy maps for the USA for the above any advice would be very helpful. many thanks
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want UK and US your 2 real options are

PC World 910 @ £449 after 10% Discoutn Voucher, latest hardware with UK Europe and US already installed

PC World 700 @ £270 after 10% Discount Voucher, Then about £90 for the US Maps So £380 all in, not so up to date maps and lacking some othe features of the 910, but still a very capable combination

Depends on your budget,

We have just dumped our old units for TT910s but then we do 120k a year in the UK & US so they pay for themselves many times over.

It really does depend on your Budget, and needs, the 700s are excellent value at the moment, but if you need US & Europe the 910s a nose ahead!

Cheers

Richard
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:

We have just dumped our old units for TT910s but then we do 120k a year in the UK & US so they pay for themselves many times over.

Cheers

Richard

What's the coordinates of the overflowing skip where these pensioned off gps units are I'll start making my way over:!:
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already sold at £350 each

TomTom Ones Upgraded with 1Gb Memory Cards and UK+Europe Map Sets and US+Canada Map Sets

Sold on the For Sale Section here, and also the ever reliable Ebay! a few weeks ago with the impending arrival of the 910s

(Figured best to get rid a few weeks ago before the price crashed!)

Cheers

Richard
BAPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: which tom tom Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, i only want a tom tom to use once a year when i go to america, and i'll maybe use it twice a year to use in england, so what would you reccommend, i don't want to spend a lot of money for it to sit there and not be used, i want one that's reliable and accurate, any advice would be very helpful..Thanks Confused
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying the US Maps to use once a year is a lot of money,

Most Rental Car companies in the US now offer GPS for about $7 a day,

You may find you are better with something like TTOne for day to day use in the UK,

you can then either rent a unit from the rental car company in the US each year, or download a local US Map from TomTom for the areas you are in to use on the TTOne

As the US Map will change regularly and its an expensive investment for a single use per year,
BAPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if i buy a tom tom one, can i up date maps regulary depending on where in usa i'm going, how much would it be for me to get these maps on a regular basis, i don't want to spend alot of money, i did hire a gps phone in the usa but i had great difficuly trying to work it and drive, i got lost in california and after driving around for 3 hours i swore i would come prepared with my own gps that i knew how to work and use. Thanks...
BAPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading in the forum facts about how Tom Tom isn't up to date using postcodes in the UK, so how accurate is it to use in the USA......
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you interested at ll in the 510 or 910? These along with the 300 and 700 are all supposed to be really nice products. Let us know what you end up deciding on.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally its less accurate in the US than the UK,

Saying that I rarely have any problems with it,

OK Last Month it sent me 20 Miles down a Dirt Track In Arizona, But on these rare occasions common sense kicks in and you resort to other methods of navigation

Honestly for general use the maps in the UK and USA are pretty good,

There always details you can nit pick but a sa get you from A to B, there is not much to beat it

Cheers

Richard
BAPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so any advice on which Tom Tom model is most accurate, i don't know which one to buy.
always-getting-lost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey..... am i reading this right..?

"PC World 700 @ £270 after 10% Discount Voucher"

I am assuming we are talking the 'GO700' here...?

Can anyone please tell me where to get one of these vouchers, and can i use it at my local PC World?

Is this just about the best bargain around at the moment, or does anybody know different?

Failing that, i notice that Halfords are doing the GO700 via a web purchase at the moment for £299.99

Great site, cheers all........

Nick
always-getting-lost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont believe it........ Exclamation

Yesterday (Friday 05/05/2006) i saw Halfords doing the TomTom Go700 on their website for £299.99..... web purchase only.

This morning (06/05/2006) i went back to look again, to place an order cos after looking round it it really was a cracking deal, and the price has gone back up to £319.99 :x

What are they playing at...? Crying or Very sad

Nick.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody is getting rid of their stocks of the old 500 and 700.

The 700 is £350 in our local PC World and you can get the 10% voucher (off all Sat Nav units over £299) by picking up a copy of the PC World Magazine - in theory you have to pay £2 for this but our local PC World had a pallet of them at the entrance and exit on a help yourself job. So overall it was £315. The bad news was that they did not have any left and the nearest store that did was a hundred miles away

Went next door to Curries and they were selling theirs for £300 - the only one they had left was the display model - which had not been switched on even (power leads were still wrapped). So bought that one. If you want one get in very quick cos they are nearly all gone.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: