Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP Ipaq 1940 + tomtom navigator2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Ipaq 1940 + tomtom navigator2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsvball
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: HP Ipaq 1940 + tomtom navigator2 Reply with quote

Hi
I have a hp ipaq 1940 and a car kit for it i bought the tomtom 2 navigator the wired gps receiver which plugs in to the car kit but i can not get the ipaq and the gps receiver to communicate i dont know which port it is or how to properly install it as the instructions are useless.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen one myself, but if it's using the car kit I would assume it's like plugging a TomTom Navigator mouse into the bottom sync port of the iPAQ, it will use COM 1.
kingsvball
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: no com1 Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply
i do not have a com1 in the list
i have com3, 2 bluetooth ports, s2410 com0, s2410 irda

the gps receiver plug into the side of the carkit. I have tried to get thorugh it tomtom but their as good as useless.
could you give me a step by step installation guide if possible
Thanks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very much doubt it's COM3, or the Bluetooth ports, and it certainly won't be the IRDA port, so I would go with S2410 com0 and see if this works.

I haven't used or seen the car kit up close, so can't give you a step by step guide, but I believe others have.
kingsvball
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: have tried com 0 no luck Reply with quote

hi dave
i have tried com 0 with no luck but do i need to leave the gps receiver on for a while i have read in the manual that you need to leave the receiver on for a while for it to get a "first fix". do i just select the port and leave it for 10 mins or so?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a receiver has had a first fix within the past few months, and the backup battery on the motherboard is charged fully then you should receive a satellite fix/lock within 1 minute. If not, then the first fix can take around 12.5 mins, but this is unusual as most GPS Receivers are tested at the factory and don't require a full factory fix to download the almanac and ephemeris tables.

Once the GPS is connected to the power and to the Pocket PC you should be able to see the status of this within TomTom's GPS Status screen. If you are not getting any gray bars, you either don't have a clear view of the sky, or the wrong option is selected / or there's a faulty cable/cradle/gps. Usually all COM ports are COM1.

Sorry <thud>, it's just dawned on me, you saying car kit, usually car kits are COM1, but I'm assuming you have the TomTom Navigator Bluetooth with car cradle ? If so, select the highest Bluetooth Com port in TomTom Navigator 2, on the 2210's it's COM8. Make sure the TomTom Navigator BT GPS is on and the blue light is flashing. When you select COM8 or the appropriate com port, it will probably pop up a Bluetooth Manager screen, select the TomTom GPS that shows here, and if it asks you to enter a binding code or passkey as 0000 and this should connect.
kingsvball
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: gps receiver Reply with quote

i am using a wire gps receiver not a bluetooth one (couldn't afford it!) when i go to the gps status screen the little graphic that shows communication between the receiver and the pda shows just a blank graphic as if the receiver and the pda are not communicating with each other
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on, I swear I've been half asleep as I haven't read your previous messages properly. Need some caffine!

When you purchased this, did you make sure it worked for the 1940 iPAQ ?

AFAIK the Wired GPS doesn't work with the 1940. It certainly didn't work with the 1910 as the 1910 doesn't have a proper serial port at the bottom of the iPAQ, and I believe the 1940 is still the case.

If you check http://www.tomtom.com/products/compatibility.php?ID=31&Language=1 I take it this is the one you have ? If so, TomTom don't offer any support for the 1940, I believe the only way you can get a GPS working on the 1940 is to use Bluetooth. I would love to be proved wrong though!

If you check http://www.tomtom.com/products/compatibility.php?ID=55&Language=1 this is the Bluetooth GPS which does support the iPAQ 1940. Did you purchase all of this separately ? It sounds like you've purchased a GPS, and a 1940 car kit, I don't believe the two will work together.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: