Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 510 questions please.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

510 questions please.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeroflott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: 510 questions please..... Reply with quote

Hi all. Just about to buy a 510 here in the UK. Reasons being:

I only want UK detailed maps for the foreseeable future.
Like the idea of the bluetooth gubbins with my V3 as I have no car kit currently.
Would like a specific part of the USA mapped for use over there, rather than lashing out on all of the USA with a 910.

I have three questions if someone could help:

1. Any issues using a TomTom with an Audi A6? (I'm thinking about the windscreen here)
2. Can I download the dpecific area of the US from TomTom maps that I want, and will it be compatible with the 510? Here specifically: Map of US - New England & Mid Atlantic region on this page: http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/mds.php
If I can download just that part of the US, it makes the 510 a much more cost effective purchase compared to a 910 obviously...

3. Apart from the less detailed maps, any reason not to go for a 510 over a 710 or 910??

Many thanks

T
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there aeroflott.
Welcome.
In answer to your questions.
1. The new SirfStar III chipset is supposed to deal with athermic windscreens.
Although I can't vouch for this myself I have to say the lock on time for the new units is awesome. Mine is approx 5 secs. from switch on :D
Maybe other members can confirm if there's any windscreen issues.

2. I would be well surprised if Tom Tom's maps are not compatible with the new units. Maybe you could mail them to confirm.

3. What does it for me on the 910 (although not available on the 510 or 710) is the text to speech function. This works really well considering it's a first attempt by TT.
Has a couple of problems pronouncing some road names but I'm sure this can only get better in time. (Mine pronounces Manor Rd as Man Rd. but then it will go on to pronounce long names like Commonside West perfectly!). Confused
By far the neatest thing on the text to speech function is the fact that you can type in your own warning for safety & redlight cams and the thing will read out your message when approaching. Pretty cool IMO. :D
Saves messing with the data.chk files.

So your only question really is, do you want text to speech? If not then the 510 is the option for you.
aeroflott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that CeeJay.

Can anyone comment on the US maps from TomTom's site being compatible with the 510? (Actually, I just went through the process of buying them and it asked me what product I owned before I "purchased" and I was allowed to select the 510 - so I assume they are...)

Anyone? Before I whizz out and buy one?

Thanks

T
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeroflott wrote:
Thanks for that CeeJay.

Can anyone comment on the US maps from TomTom's site being compatible with the 510? (Actually, I just went through the process of buying them and it asked me what product I owned before I "purchased" and I was allowed to select the 510 - so I assume they are...)
T

I think most people who wanted US maps would have bought the 910, so I doubt anyone will have tried this. But I would say it's pretty safe to assume that it will work if it allowed you to select the 510. This has obviously been updated recently.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: