Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cameras overlaid onto Google Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cameras overlaid onto Google Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Cameras overlaid onto Google Maps Reply with quote

I don't know if this has already been done but I've been playing around with Google Maps and have overlaid the fixed camera database onto the map.

A couple of thoughts:-

1. The Google API requires that any such maps should be accessible by the general public and so I'm not quite sure how this will square with the database being a 'paid for' item. For now I've used the last free version.

2. Whilst it was fun doing it, I'm not sure how useful it would be. I think that probably it might find a use (a) for people to get a general overview of what is out there (which I agree they could probably also do on their Sat Nav) and (b) it could be used for reporting wrong speeds, removed cameras etc. It would not be too hard to put a mailto link into the info box to send the data somewhere.

3. Coming back to point 1, if it was useful I think you would get away with using the latest database because it doesn't show the co-ords, just the camera number. You could possibly add further info such as a date of when the camera was added to the database so that one could quickly see whether any new cameras had been added in your area (PGPSW might not want to do that, though 8O )

You can find it at http://www.corunna.com/google/cameras.html

Any comments would be welcomed

(BTW - there are a LOT of cameras so it might take a while to complete the download)
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say - the red cameras with red border are camera clusters. They are used to try and keep the number of images displayed to something approaching reasonable!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: