Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - camera database/france
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

camera database/france

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: camera database/france Reply with quote

hi, i have just bought the box set of 6 cds. maps of western europe for my tomtom go 300, and wondered if there is a speed camera database for france. i am going touring in my motorhome in june from cherbourg along the the atlantic coast regions. keep up the brilliant work guys you have been an absolute godsend sofar. many thanks "telstar"
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this one: http://www.alertegps.com/Download.asp?a=ar&s=&f=tomtom
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
telstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: speed camera database/france Reply with quote

many thanks to sgould for your rapid response, unfortunately i do not speak or read french. the site you very kindly directed me to is all in french!! and was unable to translate into english, so very frustrated at the moment.do you know of an english version? if not i thank you for help and
assisstance. kind regards. telstar
telstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: speed camera database/france Reply with quote

telstar wrote:
many thanks to sgould for your rapid response, unfortunately i do not speak or read french. the site you very kindly directed me to is all in french!! and was unable to translate into english, so very frustrated at the moment.do you know of an english version? if not i thank you for help and assisstance.
kind regards. telstar
marc777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post about using speed camera software when in France. You run the risk of having the unit confiscated and a big on the spot fine.

Beware Sad

Marc
telstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: camera database/france Reply with quote

hi to marc777,
many thanks for your warning,having never been to france before i was unaware of this restriction. i will make sure tomtom is setup for mapping only 8O. kind regards telstar
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36978
telstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: camera database/france Reply with quote

hi. to lost_property
thank you for your post,i have read the threads and it still seems a bit ambiguous,think i will err on the safe side and just install the basic maps
as i am touring for three weeks and have never been there before so don't want to end up without tomtom's guidence!! many thanks for your help and keep up the good work.take heart it is well appreciated.
kind regards telstar
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
never been there before

Well, telstar, there is one really important sign you should look out for.

It's a yellow diamond with a white edge. This means you have the priority on the road you are travelling.

However, if you see the same sign with a black diagonal line across it, you 'do not have the priority', which means any vehicle coming from your right has priorty and can, and will, pull straight out of the junction.

This is usually in towns/cities/hamlets but watch for the sign and take heed.

If you are not too sure, or maybe forgot the last sign, assume the priorty is from the right.

When off the motorways the speed limit is generally 90kph (about 55mph) but on entering a town/village/hamlet, it is 50kph. Sometimes there will be a 70kph sign just before entering the village but there will be no 50 sign. The name of the village, edged in red, tells you it's 50. On exiting the village you will see an identical name sign with a black diagonal line going through it, this tells you you are back to the 90 limit.

As it's your first trip there, you will have no ideas of the pleasures you are about to experience. Put it this way, the worst part of your journey will be on arriving back in England and having to drive along the M20 or M2. :P

Have a good safe trip.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this again...

Click on the box labelled "Telecharger le Fichier" to download the ov2 and bmp files.

I have used my Go in France with no problem. I think that the speed camera data from GPS is safe to use. If you try planning a route from the Michelin website www.viamichelin.fr You will find that the route gives you a schedule of the times and distance of all roads and junctions on the route - as well as the positions of all the speed cameras you pass!!

Indeed the latest paper road atlas from Michelin, and available in your nearest bookstore, also shows where all the cameras are - and says so in big letters on the front cover.

I can see no difference in providing this info on paper, via the web, of by download to TomTom.

So does the AA Road Atlas of France:

Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
telstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: camera database/france Reply with quote

hi, to lost_property
thank you for that very welcome advice,apologies for the lateness of reply,been away all day.it appears i am in for some fun!!! driving over there Rolling Eyes kind regards telstar
telstar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: camera database/france Reply with quote

hi, to sgould
thank you for that info,was in york this morning and went into whsmiths
and found another big road atlas of france!! with the new fixed speed camera sites listed. it is very similar to the one you very kindly posted,
have also had a look at the site you suggested and downloaded the zipped files, which i may load onto another sd card and keep seperate...
just in case. my significant other half has a habit of telling me "you've just past a speed camera you know" Evil or Very Mad kind regards telstar

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: