Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Insurance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Insurance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furterfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

{apologies if this has been covered before, did a search, but couldn't find anything that seemed relevant}
My car insurance does not cover my tom tom 700
With thefts of sat nav on the increase, does anyone know of an insurerer who will insure my tom tom as a seperate unit.
Thank you
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance Reply with quote

furterfan wrote:
{apologies if this has been covered before, did a search, but couldn't find anything that seemed relevant}
My car insurance does not cover my tom tom 700
With thefts of sat nav on the increase, does anyone know of an insurerer who will insure my tom tom as a seperate unit.
Thank you

You may be able to add this to your household policy but check first that they will cover it when in the car.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you intend to leave it in the car?

Chris
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am with Norwich union and they cover my TT on my car insurance i know this as it was stolen last year and they covered the cost for a new one

Liverpool F.C rocks
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatmanscoop wrote:
i am with Norwich union and they cover my TT on my car insurance i know this as it was stolen last year and they covered the cost for a new one

I'm with NU as well and they're pretty good - although they've just outsourced some of their call centre ops to India. Can be a tad frustrating at times.

Chris
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am with More Than and when I asked they said it was covered, and I leave mine in the car at all times. I checked with the house insurance and they said not insured with them and they wowuld not insure it.

Bob_W.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob_W wrote:
Hi,

I am with More Than and when I asked they said it was covered, and I leave mine in the car at all times. I checked with the house insurance and they said not insured with them and they wowuld not insure it.

Bob_W.

Even if insured I wouldnt leave it in the car for two reasons.
1) the excess charge. So probably it will end up only being about 50% insured, and maybe not at all once you deduct the excess.
2) the hassle of replacing the broken window and cleaning up the mess well outweighs the 30 seconds it takes to unplug it.

Tw
CharlieR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:

I'm with NU as well and they're pretty good - although they've just outsourced some of their call centre ops to India.

Especially when they ask if the trolley at Sinsburys that ran in to you car had L plates on and if it was a peasant you ran over in the road when driving along the country lane.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
Bob_W wrote:
Hi,

Bob_W.

1) the excess charge. So probably it will end up only being about 50% insured, and maybe not at all once you deduct the excess.
2) the hassle of replacing the broken window and cleaning up the mess well outweighs the 30 seconds it takes to unplug it.

Tw

With you on this Tumbleweed

Chris
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlieR wrote:
chris_w wrote:

I'm with NU as well and they're pretty good - although they've just outsourced some of their call centre ops to India.

Especially when they ask if the trolley at Sinsburys that ran in to you car had L plates on and if it was a peasant you ran over in the road when driving along the country lane.

Laughing Try changing your car ....... you have just entered the twilight zone 8O

Had to ask for somebody in the UK in the end - it was getting too surreal.

Chris
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:

Tw

Hi,

Excess £50 ........!

"replacing the broken window and cleaning up the mess well outweighs the 30 seconds it takes to unplug it"

Point taken. However, from what I have read here, in the news and on TV it is not just a case of unplugging it, you have to remove the mount and clean the windscreen of any marks made by the mount.

So you may as well just leave it there and make sure it is insured. I may be lucky as my TomTom GO 300 looks a litle different:

Bob_W
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange thing to do ......... but hey that's your decision.

Have you ever had a car broken into? you're making some BIG assumptions.

Thought about the increase in premium?

or the fact that your car will possibly need bodywork depending on how thet get in? they keep coming back as well when they know what you've got.

I know because it happened to me. the first time the damage came to £3000 - just because the couldn't be bothered putting the screwdriver down they'd used to break in.

They managed to damage the bodywork, seats, dashboard and all because I'd left a mount in the windscreen.

And after I'd done this they tried a couple of more times on the off chance something had been left in the glove box.

Good Luck

Chris
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob_W wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:

Tw

Hi,

Excess £50 ........!

"replacing the broken window and cleaning up the mess well outweighs the 30 seconds it takes to unplug it"

Point taken. However, from what I have read here, in the news and on TV it is not just a case of unplugging it, you have to remove the mount and clean the windscreen of any marks made by the mount.

Bob_W

I can guarantee that after you've spent several days in total running around phoning your insurance co, cleaning up the mess, driving home in the rain with a busted window, getting quotes, dealing with body work companies, resprayers, arranging for collection and delivery, using a spare car (If your co provides one one), etc etc etc, you wont leave the GPS unit or the mount on view ever ever *ever* again
:-)

Tw
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

After all that said, I always use to remove mine from my car (thinking it was the safest option), then had it nicked from a site whilst working in Kew, London. I was working alone so I thought I would have no problems.
Someone jumped through an open ground floor window, rifled my bag and made off with it. Crying or Very sad
Gutted or what. Censored
Not covered on any policy.

CJ
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Cris_w: No I have never had a car broken into, so never thought about the damage and cost of repair, and as you say because of that the increase in premium.

Tumbleweed: As my insurance is fully comprehensive and they provide a courtesy car no problem about running around, as the car is newish 2 years old I would think it would go back to the dealer as it is a private car and not a company car.

Lastly when I say I leave the GO in the car I am not talking about in a back street/carpark in Manchester or London but in my home town, I am not going to say where it is but it is a quiet place. I always try to leave my car in a main street where possible, or where there are plenty of people about. When I have to leave my car in a back street if I visit someone and I am going to be away from the car for some time then I do remove the TomTom but I still leave the mount.

I may just be lucky or live in a nice area, however, I would remove the Go if I was not in my own area.

Regards,

Bob_W

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: