Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dynamic Points of Interest
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dynamic Points of Interest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StainlessSteelRat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Dynamic Points of Interest Reply with quote

Hey Everybody,

I'm thinking of writing an app using the TomTom SDK. Is there anybody out there who has had experience with the SDK and can answer my question.

Is it possible to have dynamic points of interest? i.e. if you got a branch of macdonalds on the back of a truck and drove it up and down the motorway, would TomTom be able to handle it's change of position? Or is it a case of the points of interest list gets read in at load time and doesn't change.

Does anybody have any thoughts....

BFN

Stuart.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I’m afraid that I’m not a Programmer (well not serious enough to be able to write an app using the TomTom SDK) but I’m very interested in your idea of Dynamic POIs.

Why anyone would put a branch of McDonalds on the back of a truck is beyond me. Wink However the ability to track friends and family would be beneficial.

I bought a scanner a few months ago and the dealer threw in a copy of the frequency guide. In this guide there was mention of TETRA, which is a standard for trunked digital radio communication for the emergency services. I believe that a lot of TETRA transceivers also incorporate a GPS unit and are able to transmit their position back to base. Whilst I wouldn’t condone monitoring the positions of Police and other emergency services it would be useful for monitoring the positions of other TETRA users, e.g. civilian mobile speed trap crews, etc..

I suspect that the TomTom program would not be able to cope with Dynamic POIs as it doesn’t like new POIs being added whilst the program is running. However this may just be due to the process of registering the new POI file, and once the file is known to TomTom it might be happy with the locations of the POIs moving and the number of POIs changing as well. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will have a better idea and will add their thoughts.

How are you planning to track the McDonalds truck? Are you thinking of TETRA and thus using a mobile scanner, or are you thinking of mobile phones using GPRS, or is there a better way?

Good luck with your investigation.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
StainlessSteelRat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer,

Thanks for replying buddy. Smile

Yeah, to track the 'macdonals truck' I was thinking of getting the afore mentioned application to pull the GPS co-ordinates from TomTom, and then connect to a service on the web over GPRS via a mobile phone (bluetooth) and register the location of the truck.

Anybody wishing to track the said truck would register with the web service and receive updates via GPRS and plot the position on the TomTom map.

Have you got any links for any TETRA information?? I will look into it and see whats avaliable.

Sounds like it's gonna get interesting........

Stuart.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,

I've searched through a few sites, but they haven't been much help. Crying or Very sad I'm afraid that the best site that I've seen about TETRA is:

http://www.radio.gov.uk/topics/pmc/consult/tetra08-2001.doc

HTH,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Stuart,

Regarding your original question ... If you haven't already done it you can download the SDK manual freely from TomTom's web site. Googling on "tomtom sdk manual" takes you to the right part of their web site. The manual details the various available API calls. There is one called "MoveClosestPOI" which sounds as if it may do what you want.

I hope this helps.

Hugh

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: