Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot C320 - 502 beta
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot C320 - 502 beta
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddjob13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Garmin Streetpilot C320 - 502 beta Reply with quote

Has anyone else tried the new beta update (502)? After installing, the routing on my unit is garbage. I checked my home to work route along 35 miles of dual carriageway and it keeps taking me off the main road down country lanes! Reinstalled 480? and all works fine...straight down the main road. Reinstalled beta.....garbage again. Any fixes? except not using it Confused
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Oddjob 13,
Yes I have Beta 5.02 installed on my c320 and there does not appear to be any problems. Just a suggestion, if you reinstall again have a check of the Navigation Setup for route preference and Avoidances,
Regards
Ericd
oddjob13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am giving it one more go. Tried altering every setting possible last time, but who knows? Interesting picture. Is that Saltash on fire behind the ship? Wink
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMS Knareborough Castle, Plymouth Sound in 1954.
Hope you get the c320 to light up as well
Ericd
chippie_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated to new beta version and tried it out on trip from london to boston lincs.
on v 4.80 it routed the way i usualy go a1 off at peterborough and on to a16.

beta software refused to stay on a1 just kept taking me off down side roads.
Have reverted back to v4.80
oddjob13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chippie_w -I have tried everything! reloaded maps, altered avoidances, turned my car into a truck, hard reset and when all else fails shouted at it...Not only does the beta avoid main roads it takes me in circles on B roads. And it was great fun losing all my favourites on the reset!! I'm glad Ericd has had no problems, but I'm going back to 4.80. I'll wait for the update with "postcode search" (yawn) to go with the free (ha ha) v8 disks garmin europe have just sent me (prompt reply was good) COME ON GARMIN GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. Failing that coming soon on ebay - for "sale" lump hammer *used once* only £50 with free pieces of C320 - will swap for TOM TOM?...
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have beta 5.02 loaded with no problems when I went from Plymouth to Bideford on Tuesday, trip I have never done before.
I am intrigued as to what DVDs Oddjob 13 has been sent by Garmin. See my post of today in Topic:- Garmin C320 V8 maps.
Ericd
oddjob13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on 4.80 and all is well. I have no idea why this should work on one unit and not another. There must be more units out there on the beta. Maybe we'll get more feedback over time. Off subject - DVD from Garmin was v8. See Garmin C320 v8 maps.
chippie_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddjob

glad your sanity returned !! Like you Itried every setting but to no avail.
at least the other half enjoyed the scenic route!!
those v8 maps you have got are they th NT version ?
oddjob13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chippie - No they are not NT. Europe bods sent me normal v.8 (2620-2660) so I've queried it with them after reading Eric's comments, email etc. Rolling Eyes I'm gonna offer Eric a fiver to see if I can break his unit. I think mine just hates me. Man - car - gps. Spend enough time together alone and it gets personal :D
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oddjob,
Read your comments, a fiver isn't enough. I am keeping close watch on my unit, trouble is I don't stray to far from the Plymouth area at the moment so I don't get a lot of opportunity to give it a real thrash. I originally purchased it for use when I go to Spain which is about twice a year. Will be doing a bit more distance in the next few weeks and will post if I start to get problems. It will be interesting what Garmin's reply to you will be regarding NT. Have you unlocked your set yet?
Ericd
oddjob13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Out of curiosity (mine and maybe yours) you could try simulating a couple of routes to see how stable beta is on your c320. My unit wouldn't stay on the A38 to Exeter. If I went from say Plymouth to Bovey Tracey it directed me through Plympton, Ivybridge etc. Basically off the A38 where it could and back on for the odd mile or so. OK, I don't need directions to Bovey but if I enter the destination address B4 departure it's annoying to see the unit giving stupid instructions. Coming back from Chudleigh Knighton (side of A38) to a Plymouth address (Mutley Plain) it gave directions South towards the South Hams and Plymstock??? Ok when I know the area and I just need the last couple of turns but what is it going to do to me between Sheffield and Leeds?. Let us know if you try any sim's. I am sure we can break yours if we try hard enough. Wink
Ericd
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddjob,
Tried simulation using your quoted destinations. Took me to Bovey Tracy via A38 and B3344 using Faster Time and via the A38 and A382 using Shorter Distance.

From Chudleigh Knighton to Apsley Road which is just off Mutley Plain it routed me via A38 to Marsh Mills then Embankment Road, Old Laira Road .

I have also used live routing from my home to Bovey Tracy and it came up with the same result, in fact I live just off the A379 and it still routed me over too and then up the A38.

As far as I can see I still don't have the same problem as you seem to have but I can't think what the answer can be.
Cheers
Ericd :D
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you installed the 5.02 update did you do a master reset?According to Garmin some routing variables get corrupted if not.They have brought out a 5.03 BETA to cure this routing problem.Its not on their site yet but I have it if you want a copy.PM me with an email addy.Its a 3.37mb zip file.
I am using it on my C310 and no problems so far

DracUK
Marlowes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: 502 Reply with quote

I put 502 over 480, and it resolutely refused to let me use a Motorway, or many A roads. Northampton - Stevenage tried to take me in a Straight Line, whatever setting I used.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: