Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPV 500 - GPS PROBLEMS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPV 500 - GPS PROBLEMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nutflush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: SPV 500 - GPS PROBLEMS Reply with quote

I would really like some help here, I have purchased a second user phone which was advertised with tom tom mobile installed. All that was required was a GPS box. which I purchased a BT77 I believe not 100% sure.

Tom Tom loads up fine, can set home address and browse map, but will not recognise my GPS box. I know the box works as ive tried it on pocket streets ( which is a bit pants for my liking )

Can any one help or advise me, as im begining to feel ive been ripped off and misled by the person who sold me the phone.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: SPV 500 - GPS PROBLEMS Reply with quote

nutflush wrote:
I would really like some help here, I have purchased a second user phone which was advertised with tom tom mobile installed. All that was required was a GPS box. which I purchased a BT77 I believe not 100% sure.

Tom Tom loads up fine, can set home address and browse map, but will not recognise my GPS box. I know the box works as ive tried it on pocket streets ( which is a bit pants for my liking )

Can any one help or advise me, as im begining to feel ive been ripped off and misled by the person who sold me the phone.

I had these two devices for about a month running TTM 5.0. Good candybar combination, I miss the C500 in some ways.
Ensure the pairing between the two is correct and BT is active on the C500. Start TT and go into the GPS config. You MUST select "other NMEA GPS", leave the baud rate as default. From memory I cannot advise on the com port, but a bit of trial will get you there. Once you see the blue/yellow spinning disc top right, allow the receiver a clear sight of the sky (until some of the signal bars turn blue) to get a fix.
CHR15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you just need to do a bit of reading and research before jumping to the conclusion you have ben ripped off.

I have used that same pairing for some time now and had no problems ..once I had got it going that is

This will help if you can pair the device but TOmTom just doesnt see it.

1. Go to the main Bluetooth page and select Com Ports under Menu

3. Add a New Outgoing Port.
Set the port to COM7
Untick Secure Connection

Go back and ensure Bluetooth is switched On.

Run TomTom and under Preferences-Show GPS Status-Configure select "Other Bluetooth GPS"
nutflush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for reply - have done as you suggested but in prefs . no option to select other device has config option which only enables me too change degrees minutes seconds ??

also when i added com 7 it assigned the bt gps to it automatically is this correct also shows com 6 as com6 incoming.

having spent some time reading through the forum im starting to think the software may not be genuine. as buying as second user had no idea this problem of possible pirate software would exist on a phone. Although it starts can browse map input and find address just not connect up.

Having said that I have read that tom tom can take upto 45 mins to lock on from first use is this correct

The version showing on info 4.430 (3130) gps driver v 1.20
snellc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Smartphone SPVC500 and nemerix bt gps problem Reply with quote

Hi

I too have got a similar problem as previously described. I had to buy a replacement gps as mine was knicked and to start with first few months everything has been fine. Then all of a sudden it stopped getting a gps signal so i had it replaced. The new one i can no longer get tomtom to see. ive set a new device called BT GPS and the phone says it has paired with the device, yet when i go into tomtom it just says "no gps device"

Ive trawled through the phones menus and cannot find anywhere to "add a new com port" i only seem to have the options to select or deselect inbound com6 and outbound on com7.

no matter if they are ticked or unot ticked and i add a new bt gps device tomtom still fails to see the gps anymore.

Ive even reinstalled tomtom, and still no joy. Ive read somewhere that maybe you can change the com port the gps gets assigned to but i also see no where to do this.

Please help if you can.

Thanks
CHR15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think there is a bit of confusion where these menus are.

@ nutflush -

Quote:
" i only seem to have the options to select or deselect inbound com6 and outbound on com7.

Thats correct, exactly what i was trying to describe. If you have both of those, than there is no problem with ports.

I think I can assume that in your PHONE Menus you can successfully pair the BT GPS with your phone? That you have a blue light flashing and bluetooth is enabled.

The problem I believe, is that in your TomTom Menu you can only select a TomTom Wireless GPS

TomTom Menu
Change Preferences = Show GPS Staus = Configure =

You should have two options, one of TomTom Wireless GPS (A greeny coloured rectangular slab with a Gold Key and 0000 next to it) and if you click Next, you should have Other Bluetooth GPS (A little black round shaped unit)

If you dont have both options, then it wont work. There are people who say they can get it to work if you rename your pairing etc. but I never had any luck when I tried with version 4!! I solved it buy using TTM Version 5.

Good Luck Smile

The Time to First Fix is dependant upon the type of receiver. Typically 45 Seconds is more accurate from a cold start, definitely not 45 minutes.
nutflush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for putting me right there CHR15.

So it seems my worst case fears have been confirmed and likely the person I bought phone from has jazzed up description by adding Tom Tom to it knowing some mug like me would pay £150 Embarassed

But that aside I have seen what tom tom looks like on spv500 and what it can do. so i will go buy tom tom mobile 5 at the first chance I get, as this version is fine with spv500.

Many thanks to all that have tried to help me out
snellc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, i have resolved this issue.

The confusion from previous posts regarding the menus on the phone is all done to the lataest ROM update from orange, "http://www.orange.co.uk/c500patch/ty_oruk_21130_4214_0328_ship.exe" which if you dont have means that you cannot assign the gps unit to the outbound com port 7 which TomTom expects to find the gps unit on. Without this rom version the phone assigns the gps to com6, although with previous rom versions, this was not visible.

So what i did is download the latest rom from orange, which incidentally for spv500 users is good cos u get media player 10 as well.

Then delete and reinstall the gps unit, and voila its working again.

Hope this helps.

ChrisS

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: