Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GARMIN C310 STREETPILOT MORE MEMORY WANTED!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GARMIN C310 STREETPILOT MORE MEMORY WANTED!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c3sgt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: GARMIN C310 STREETPILOT MORE MEMORY WANTED! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

As you probably already know the C310 comes with it's mapping on a 256mb SD Card.
My problem is that I want to use a larger capacity card, (1GB) so I can add more POI's as and when and make the C310 future proof.
Apparently there is no problem in using a larger capacity card other than trying to load it with the mapping from the original.
I've done this via my laptop already and the files are there alright, however the C310 cannot read them.
My belief is that there is some copyright software built in to make it fruitless to try and pirate although I want it for my own use, I believe it's perfectly legal to, "backup" your own purchased software.

Does anyone know a way around this, I've been in touch with Navteq and they passed the buck straight back to Garmin saying they only produce the mapping on disc, which is no help to me. Garmin seem reluctant to help and I get the distinct feeling that they are not being forthright with me.

Any help would be appreciated.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=30022
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The I3 stores maps, voices and POIs on its SD card.

The C310 you have does NOT! It only stores maps on the Card.
POIs are stored internally. I have noi idea what the limit is,
however as I said on the c310 it does not relate to the card
I think I have 20,000 POIs in my c310 and theres space for more probably a lot more.
Borg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you delete them on the c310 though ?

I just tried to add some and it asked me to delete some as it was full
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you load POIs it should delete the old ones.

The c310 has an internal memory not on the I3 where it stores POIs and Language files. Seems you hit the limit. How many POIs are you loading?
Try with a few less.

If what you say is true this is really crap. The I3 holds its language files on the SD Card. The C310 has about 12 languages all stored internally.
I suggest that if this is true Garmin should make the C310 hold languages on the CARD too to free up a load of memory for POIs. This would allow users to edit the language files like ash and I were doing on the I3.
Borg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to pou all the POIs from the zip file from here

http://www.MaFt.co.uk/garmin/

and the POI speed cam database from here

I cant remember how many in total
chippie_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have same problem just using POI's fro MaFt and speed camera database on my C320 and says memory full
Borg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the POIs I wouldn't want, like McYucks and the pictures etc to get it to load now..

Had to chop a few out and it's quite out of date on a few things Like Sainsbury, they where bought out my Morrisons. Lots of stuff missing for my area in Wales Sad
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borg wrote:
I removed the POIs I wouldn't want, like McYucks and the pictures etc to get it to load now..

Had to chop a few out and it's quite out of date on a few things Like Sainsbury, they where bought out my Morrisons. Lots of stuff missing for my area in Wales Sad

Sainsbury were not bought by Morrisons, it was Safeway.
Borg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yer Laughing Out Loud I sit corrected
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does stuffing C3xx full of POIs use memory that might have been available for route calculation?

The I3 has a problem with memory if you try setting a long route into Europe in cant calculate and runs out of memory. My C310 does not have this problem. You can tell it to calculate a route from the extreme north of europe to extreme south of Africa and it will not run out of memory. That said. I wonder if you stuff the C3xx full of POIs upto the memory limit does it then start having the calculating memory problem like the I3?

Try it to see. Now you have about maximum POIs (By the way how manys that?) Choose where to. Choose browse map. - - - - - - seemost of europe and scroll down down down, + + + + Click on somewhere in Africa and GO. See what happens?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: