Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA Major Routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA Major Routes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daftdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: USA Major Routes Reply with quote

I have purchased the USA (State) maps, but need to navigate from NY to Washington DC. Each State map works fine separately. Is there another map I need to link them all together?

[I tried searching older topics but just got more confused.]
Thanks
GB plus map v571
1G SD card
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

My understanding with the USA maps was that you could either load one state at a time or use the regional map for a particular area. I think its something like East Coast, Mid West that type of thing.

I also believe the CD comes with the Major Roads of America so you can go from City A to City B without much details on the side roads.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz is correct. To use one map you must use Major Roads. You can however, plan a cross-country itineary that will work across all maps. To get street level detail you will have to swap cards or buy a large card. I have a 2GB card that will hold all three regions.

I highly recommend purchasing Streets&Trips for route planning. Its files can be converted to TomTom routes using a free program called ITNconvert.exe.
daftdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for such quick replies. I guess we forget here how BIG the USA is, and expect too much from a PDA.

I don't recall seeing a Main Routes map on the CD, but I will go back and have another look.
GB plus map v571
1G SD card
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't obvious. Maybe click More or Other
RickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schneid wrote:
BodgerBaz is correct. To use one map you must use Major Roads. You can however, plan a cross-country itineary that will work across all maps. To get street level detail you will have to swap cards or buy a large card. I have a 2GB card that will hold all three regions.

I just got TomTom Navigator for my iPAQ and have downloaded all six regions of the US on a 1 GB SD card. Yet, I still have to select what region I want to view and drive in. How do I plan the cross-country itenerary you mention? Even with advance planning, I don't seem to be able to choose any area outside the current map.

During the download map process, I hoped I could simply download the entire USA, but it did not allow for that, requiring six separate maps for the lower 48 states.

I bought TomTom in particular for a trip from SC to TN wo MO to PA and back to SC, and wanted it to figure out the best route for the whole thing. I hate the thought of having to use Yahoo Maps to figure my route, then input points into TomTom in little pieces. Not to mention, how do you even cross the map boundaries (haven't done that yet), when no town may exist on both maps?
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rick,

To get any detailed street-level maps you can either load a State map i.e. South Carolina or load one of the six regional maps i.e. New England or South East taking in the whole eastern seaboard.

However, if you wish to navigate from one state to another or wish to navigate from one region to another region you'll need to load The Major Roads of America (MRA).

Essentially this shows the whole USA's major road network and is similar to the PLUS maps for Great Britain and Europe.

In the planning stage you may want to save an itinerary using the MRA which terminates just within the State boundary you are heading for. Set the next itinerary (using that State's map) from the same point to wherever you are going. That way crossing the States will not be a problem but when you arrive within your chosen State you will have details at street level.

Does that sound feasible?
RickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
Does that sound feasible?

Yes, it certainly does. I installed the MRA with cities, and was quite impressed with its level of detail. All of the smaller towns I had intended to navigate between are in there, and planning the entire itinerary is a snap that way. Then, once there, switching to the local region for driving around works quite well.

Also, living in SC, I blindly installed the SE region, and was disappointed that it didn't go very far north. But if you choose Other, you can specify a region that actually includes more. I never would have expected that, so didn't look, but I'm not in the process of installing it, rather than the SE, which will handle most of my travels.

About the only limitation for trips I have seen with the MRA is that it doesn't know about all the smaller roads adjacent to the major ones. So, it got me from my home to the Interstate, but not in an efficient manner. But that is easily cured ahead of time by using cities within a region that the MRA gives you, and mapping that in more detail.

As I said before, I'm new at this (although I am very pleased so far), but have a question: Is there a way of saving a route, or is the only way to save to make it an Itinerary? It's not a big deal that way; just wanted to be sure I'm doing things in the most efficient manner. ;-)
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

I'm not aware that there is a way of saving the route - perhaps the thinking is that if you've driven the route once you should maybe remember it the next time??

Using the itinery is a good way to save a route or parts of a route.

Of course you can always save a part route then in the future you can pick up the saved itinery and add a destination or waypoints to it for a specific route.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated above, Streets & Trips is an indepensable desktop companion to TomTom and it only costs about $20.00. You can use its trip planning, save the file, and then use ITNconvert, a free utility, to convert it to a a TT ITN file. The ITN file will function across maps. When you look at in TT the stops that not on your current route are grayed out.

I think one might go blind anyway trying to create a cross-country route on a small display. A big screen in big keyboard make it much easier.

On big trips I share a Holux GPSslim 236 receiver between my notebook and PDA allowing them both to navigate the route. One uses the bluetooth signal and the other is hard wired serial signal.
RickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like the combination of MRA along with regional/state maps will work quite well for me. And yeah, it appears that the only way to save routes is to use the Itineray, which is fine.

As to Streets & Trips, I have it actually, and yes, it's a good program. But I got TomTom so I would always have the route available with me, without using my laptop, and from what I've seen, I greatly prefer TomTom.

I do have a question about using an Itinery, though. The way I would use this, is to map the whole thing (SC-TN-PA-SC) on MRA, and use that for most of the point-to-point driving, then switch to regional/state maps for driving around each destination. My question is, if I'm partway through my Itineray, say in TN, and then switch to MRA and load the Itineray, will it know I want to continue along the Itinerary, rather than go back to the beginning or some such thing? Stupid question, probably. Wink
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickR wrote:

I do have a question about using an Itinery, though. The way I would use this, is to map the whole thing (SC-TN-PA-SC) on MRA, and use that for most of the point-to-point driving, then switch to regional/state maps for driving around each destination. My question is, if I'm partway through my Itineray, say in TN, and then switch to MRA and load the Itineray, will it know I want to continue along the Itinerary, rather than go back to the beginning or some such thing? Stupid question, probably. Wink

. . . er . . . I've never tried that combination so I'm not sure Rick. I'd be surprised if it remembered it, personally. However, you can certainly re-load the itinery you had previously saved then just go through each waypoint and click on the 'visited' button.

That way it will then plot a course to the next waypoint from your current GPS position, thus allowing you to continue your route.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The itinary is saved to the \ITN directory in Main Memory. It will remain undisturbed as you change cards. The Waypoints that are covered by the Current Map will be "grayed" out.

When you load the Itinary, you pick the next unvisited Waypoint. The Itinary function is sort of confusing and I think needs some practice to be good at it. I think TT loads all the stops as Destinations and the intermediate stops must be changed to Waypoints. It appears this is because a salesman just has to go to a bunch of places but not in any particular order while a traveler wants to take a route from A to B to C and so on.
RickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schneid wrote:
I think TT loads all the stops as Destinations and the intermediate stops must be changed to Waypoints. It appears this is because a salesman just has to go to a bunch of places but not in any particular order while a traveler wants to take a route from A to B to C and so on.

Are you saying that, depending on whether intermediate stops are WayPoints or Destinations, TT can go to them out of order, as the salesman in your example might want? That is, plan the quickest way to get from one place to another, while going through the waypoints, but not necessarily in the order you have them in the list? That would be pretty neat! (My son travels to like 10 stores a day, and they can vary, so that would be a boon for him.)
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think it optimizes the route between them. They are just places to be visited. The ITN is text file and the order remains as entered.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: