Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - South to North and back in the UK - A1 or M1???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

South to North and back in the UK - A1 or M1???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: South to North and back in the UK - A1 or M1??? Reply with quote

Got to do a journey to the In-Laws next month 95% of the journey is Motorway.

I have a choice of the A1 or the M1 for the first leg from London to Leeds. Which is better? I like the A1 because it's more picturesque and hence less boring = less likely to start to fall asleep. However i hate the "Juggernaut Duals" that occur frequently (i.e one lorry overtakes another lorry going up a hill. The second lorry is travelling at 0.25 mph faster than the other so it takes ages to actually pull in and holds back traffic for ages.) You don't get this on the M1 (3 or 4 lanes instead of 2 )but the M1 seems more prone to roadworks and congestion. I only do the journey once, maybe twice, a year and we can never decide which is better. Usually end up going A1 in the end....

Any other drivers got a preference?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends when you are travelling. The M1 gets very clogged up morning and evenings during the week, especially around Watford, Luton, Milton Keynes the M6 turn off and Sheffield. On the other hand the A1 tends to be less clogged at those times.

Rest of the time probably M1, unless you are unlucky and there is a big hold up when you can be stuck for hours (at least with many bits of the a1 you can actually turn off and try an alternative)
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Thats quite helpful. We leave early - well 5:30 - 6 am. Sounds like the A1 is better - as you say

Quote:
at least with many bits of the a1 you can actually turn off and try an alternative

which means i can use the detour function on my sat nav....
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Cheers. Thats quite helpful. We leave early - well 5:30 - 6 am. Sounds like the A1 is better - as you say

Quote:
at least with many bits of the a1 you can actually turn off and try an alternative

which means i can use the detour function on my sat nav....

That about the time I leave. You will hit the rush even then so A1 is better. Mind you I don't do the lower bit (travelling from Kent) I go up the M11 then A14 then hit the A1. The lower bit can be a bit slow (although at that time you will be going against most of the traffic into London)
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used M1 both ways. Much better and less stressful than the A1 even in snow.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote
i hate the "Juggernaut Duals"

what mithical greek beats on the motorway it isn't our fault blame the government unfortunalty due he the way engine management systems work you have say on the speed limiter as much as possible to maintain momentum and keep the fuel ecomony steady as well as most of the delivery system moving to a J.I.T delivery system (some bright sparks idea) as well as maximising productivity and work within hours regulations as well as competing with cheeper foreign hauliers and ever decreasing haulage rates though sat nav sysytems can play apart in helping this.
incidently the trucks on the 2 lane sections of the A1 should only be doing 50mph
god that turned in to a rant back to the dark corner then Wink

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 - Sorry. It wasn't supposed to be an anti-trucker comment. It's just frustrating when the overtaking coincides with a long incline. Everything behind it gets slowed down for 2-3 minutes whilst they inch past each other. You state that the trucks should be doing 50 mph i can't confirm or deny this but it seems if one truck is doing 50 mph and it comes up behind another truck doing 49.5 mph then the 50 mph truck has to overtake! Even though the extra 0.5 mph won't actually give the driver any real noticeable time advantage. For the sake of one driver not loosing 0.5 mph in speed everything behind suffers.

I always thought the argument AGAINST overtaking is trucks can slipstream reducing the fuel consumption of the truck behind?

But then what do i know?
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately its a questiopn of momentum that few car drivers can appreciate. You see in a car if you back off your speed, you can pick it up relatively easily, but in a truck, if you are fully laden, and you back off your speed, you'll take an age to get back up to the speed you were doing, so if someone is going slower, the temptation is great to overtake.

I'll admit on the A1 then its dual carriageway, it can be a pain getting stuck behind an HGV, but how much difference in your arrival time will it really make?

As for your route, the A1 is the way ahead, its always a nice run.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
wrote
i hate the "Juggernaut Duals"

what mithical greek beats on the motorway it isn't our fault blame the government unfortunalty due he the way engine management systems work you have say on the speed limiter as much as possible to maintain momentum and keep the fuel ecomony steady as well as most of the delivery system moving to a J.I.T delivery system (some bright sparks idea) as well as maximising productivity and work within hours regulations as well as competing with cheeper foreign hauliers and ever decreasing haulage rates though sat nav sysytems can play apart in helping this.
incidently the trucks on the 2 lane sections of the A1 should only be doing 50mph
god that turned in to a rant back to the dark corner then Wink

But as with all automated systems common sense, courtesy and human intevention should prevail. If one HGV is capable of 1/16 of a mph faster than the next, why choke the route for several miles to overtake. Are a few seconds off ETA that essential? The truck stop bacon butties will not run out. Normal people would not consider doing this in any other verhicle.
A prime example of pilot error.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it can be a pain getting stuck behind an HGV, but how much difference in your arrival time will it really make?

Not much but it's not just the ETA that's a problem but the sudden slow down and subsequent bunching of traffic that creates a real accident risk.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: