Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - screen size
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

screen size
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazer100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: screen size Reply with quote

hey guys, been looking at the site last few days, proved good reading so thanx for info, been persuaded to purchase the garmin i3... i have really only seen pictures of it and it decribes itself no larger than a cricket ball, how good is the directions then on the screen? are they way too small or are they just nice? to view, just looks really small, but sometimes it can be misleading

cheers

baz
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the amount you'll want to glance at it - it's fine for driving with. Most users will tell you that they actually (mostly) only listen to the verbal instructions whilst actually on the move.

I find it to be the ideal balance between portablity (and being able to sling in your coat pocket when leaving the car) and functionality whilst on the move.

Screen, although small, is both bright and sharp.

There's no real substitute for borrowing one and playing with it - or just buy one from an outlet with a no-quibble return policy. I'll wager you'll not need to take them up on it... 8)

Aitch
bazer100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a great responce, thanks alot!!

baz
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it this way. You're not going to be watching it like a TV so a lot of the criticisms that the screen is too small come from those i suspect haven't actually used one.

The map zooms in and out nicely when needed and i very clear. As Aitch2 said you'll only be glancing at it - if at all after a while. It's much better than trying to read an A-Z whilst navigating back streets.

I was worried at first but that first day out put all doubts to rest. Got mine for Xmas and still find any excuse top use it.....

Also as Aitch2 said it's small enough to slip in a pocket or small camera case with the charger and / or a couple of spare batteries.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with all that Paul and Aitch have said - once you are used to it the screen size is not an issue. I changed from Tom Tom on a PDA to the i3 and have no regrets at all.

Nick.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
I would agree with all that Paul and Aitch have said - once you are used to it the screen size is not an issue. I changed from Tom Tom on a PDA to the i3 and have no regrets at all.

Ditto that.

I switched from TTN5 (on an iPAQ) to my i3 - the screen may be smaller, but the display is very clear. Come to think of it, I don't even miss the touchscreen.
deanos63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should do one of those projector style add-ons, like you used to get on the GAMEBOY! That will make the screen look bigger?

but the screen is crystal as it is, I LOVE IT!
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the small size of the I3 to mean that I can mount it on the dashboard immediately over the steering wheel without it interferring with vision out of the windscreen. In this position it means I can glance at it frequently and momentarily without really taking my eyes from the road. This has to be much safer than having to move both your head and eyes to look at the unit in , for example, the centre of the dashboard.
Psgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may look small, but it's a beast inside. This is one GPS that you will certainly be happy with.
Ayla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the no-quibble return with my larger Navman, and initially (for one day) found the Garmin really tiny. But as others have said, I seldom glance at it now, but listen to the voice commands instead. I only look at it out of interest, to see if the next street name is correct Wink

I have also found that due to its small size I can mount it in the bottom right hand corner of my windscreen, where there are no heating wires (heated windscreen), and I no longer need an external arial. I used it today with the heated windscreen on, in a snowstorm, and it picked up the signal in seconds!
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

size is not everything and in the case of the i3 it is both portable and powerfull Wink
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the screen is a little small, but most of the time its not a problem.
The TOM TOM or Garmin C3xx have bigger screens and I prefer ther Garmin c320 but it is so much bulkier and costs so much more.

The ideal size would be a little bigger than an I3 but smaller than a C320.
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my i3 for a little over 24hrs now and find the screen ideal for the car. I was put off buying the bigger screens, as I would not like the car lit up at night so much that I could not see where I was going. 8)

I would buy another one no problem.

Going to ditch the Origin B2 now as it is defunct.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acefreecell wrote:
I would not like the car lit up at night so much that I could not see where I was going. 8)

I would buy another one no problem.

dont forget the screen colour scheme changes for night time viewing too!
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with the small screen is when the I3 gives you a bum route which it will sooner or later - Its almost impossible to work out where its taking you. OK you will get home in the end. I know in theory you can check route whatever but on the bigger screen you can see more map detail about where you are going , you can also see the list of directions down the side with the map.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: