Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New software + free maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New software + free maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: New software + free maps? Reply with quote

I'm a software developer who's worked with GIS in the past (~2 years) and having bought a GPS recently have been wondering about creating some software. My skills lie in PC and Pocket PC programming.

What I'd like to know is:
- Is there a free UK map resource (to use with any software I write)?
- What would people like to see in an application and on PC or Pocket PC (as the basic show satellite positions, display your coords type applications already exist)?

My thoughts were to create a simple app that would plot a position on Google Maps for you (pending no free maps) as a navigation aid, which would also store tracklogs for later perusal. The Google map data could be uploaded prior to geocaching etc etc. Obviously I'll have to check the licence agreement on Google's map API to see whether I'm allowed to do this.

Thoughts?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Maps are targeted at road navigation, not necessarily at outdoors activities (they contain no topographic features). This means you would already cut your target audience significantly.

Google do also offer route calculation. So you could create something similar to Wayfinder.

As you mentioned already, better check the Google fine print. Using Google maps (for example) requires a dedicate web server which means you would have to shell out for the hosting and traffic cost because all users of your application would have to hit Google maps through your server.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
brownb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Thinking about it, free of otherwise, if I use these online map resources I can't responsibly release the software for public use since it relies on unlicenced third party maps - bummer.

What I'm really looking for is a free uk maps to be included, but I think this is the holy grail of mapping software Sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a user collected road network? You could record user journeys (with their consent) and then geocode it on the server and redistribute to users.

Have a look at the Alturion model for map updates - that sounded promising.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
brownb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Streetmap UK to try and use UK maps (for the time being) but they flat turned me down. Google requires a user ID (which I'm not allowed to give out for use on a web site only).

User collected POI and road network would require a vast undertaking, and while I could do it would need a large infrastructure - geocoding would take up a large amount of my time since were can roads be broken up? Sure the database can create polylines/polygons, but having to manually look up were one road ends and another starts in a real atlas would take ages.

Unless you have another solution on how to minimise this sort of work?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen www.mgmaps.com ?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this would take an enormous amount of work. which is probably why the organisations that have already done that work at very large expensive are not willing to give away the fruits of their endeavours for nothing. Smile Smile
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
brownb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting program. From what I can tell its violating the map providers' licences and usage agreements. Sure the guy has put reference to the map providers but he does not have their consent to integrate it into a GPS program - he's basically produced a product off the back of other companies unlicenced maps - no wonder its free.

lbendlin wrote:
Have you seen www.mgmaps.com ?
brownb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a look for out of copyright maps - any maps are better than no maps.

peterc10 wrote:
I agree that this would take an enormous amount of work. which is probably why the organisations that have already done that work at very large expensive are not willing to give away the fruits of their endeavours for nothing. Smile Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another approach worth looking at is Virtual Earth Mobile. Its usefulness is seriously hampered by the focus on .not (oops, .net) but you can look at the source code and recreate it in a faster language.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
brownb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously confused now. Streetmap.co.uk tells me I can't use their maps via an integrated web browser as part of a publically used product yet others are using this stuff liberally in programs.

Oh and I was going to use .Net 2.0 on the PC as its got a nice SerialPort library and will ease porting to PocketPC (don't get me started on Java on PocketPC...)

lbendlin wrote:
another approach worth looking at is Virtual Earth Mobile. Its usefulness is seriously hampered by the focus on .not (oops, .net) but you can look at the source code and recreate it in a faster language.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownb2 wrote:
Oh and I was going to use .Net 2.0 on the PC as its got a nice SerialPort library and will ease porting to PocketPC

This will have serious consequences. First of all - the vast majority of devices don't have .Net CF 2.0 . Many users are reluctant to spend 5 MB of their precious RAM or storage for that update when .Net CF 1 is already installed in ROM.

Secondly - you will need all the performance you can get. .Net is certainly not helping there...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
brownb2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a moot point for a number of reasons, but primarily:

.Net IL and Java bytecodes are compiled at runtime on modern JITs meaning their performance is analysed and can often be compiled more effectively than static compilation which will do no running analysis. Some people are still of the train of thought that .Net and Java are significantly slower than the likes of C, C++ - this now mostly true only on startup.

.Net 2.0 is at a disadvantage size wise without doubt, so I may consider .Net 1.1 with one of the free serial libraries. .Net 1.1 is integrated into the Windows Mobile 2003 ROM and later and is available for Pocket PC 2002. Realistically progress on the technology front will not halt and I can't see any real benefit in being an upgrade refusenik, akin to keeping a 486 because it can just word process, without seeing benefits like increased speed , less lag, and the ability to run software a 486 never could (think improved usability, speech to text etc etc).

In all honesty if people think the software is worth it they'll donate space (PPC 2002 users if .Net 1.1) to .Net, otherwise they really should consider this not suitable for their needs.

BTW I use a Viewsonic V37 with ~32MB of internal storage and an XDA 1 with a similar amount.

lbendlin wrote:
brownb2 wrote:
Oh and I was going to use .Net 2.0 on the PC as its got a nice SerialPort library and will ease porting to PocketPC

This will have serious consequences. First of all - the vast majority of devices don't have .Net CF 2.0 . Many users are reluctant to spend 5 MB of their precious RAM or storage for that update when .Net CF 1 is already installed in ROM.

Secondly - you will need all the performance you can get. .Net is certainly not helping there...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: