Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - have I blundered?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - have I blundered?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Help - have I blundered? Reply with quote

Yesterday I tried to buy an upgraded GB map on SD direct from TomTom. I went to the Plus Services area of the site. I saw the GB map and selected it for purchase, after various hurdles (this is not the easiest site to buy from or navigate) I purchased the upgrade for 59 euro. Only after getting all the confirmation emails the thought dawned that I'd bought the download version. I (and my dad for whom the upgrade is for) am a Mac user and I have read somewhere on the TT site that you can only download maps onto a Windows platform Embarassed

Is there a way of contacting TT sales and/or customer services to explain the position to transfer my purchase to the SD card version of the upgrade? I looked everywhere on the site for an email or tel no but could not find one.

Please, anyone got any suggestions on this?

Thanks,

Matt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telephone number for UK is 0845 1610009

Email is http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php?Page=ask.php&Login=1&ID=5

You will need to Login.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Mattie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, I'll try support asking them to check my order to see if it is download or disk.

Matt
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always download the Zip Version and just use a card reader and extract the maps onto the card.

Either than or plug the TomTom into the mac it should show up as a removable drive of sorts and let you drag the files onto it.
Mattie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged wrote:
You could always download the Zip Version and just use a card reader and extract the maps onto the card.

Either than or plug the TomTom into the mac it should show up as a removable drive of sorts and let you drag the files onto it.

I'll give it a go.

Thanks,

Matt
neiluk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The download is not the raw map files so dragging the downloaded file onto the SD card will not work. The download is an eecutable file that runs a TT application to upgrade your TTG. Do you have any firends with windows who would let you pop round for 10 minutes to carry out the update?

Also your original SD card may not be big enough - I had to replace my original 128MB card because even with the original map and all but UK voices removed I still did not have enough space for the new map update. It's easy to upgrade - simply attach you TTG to your mac and copy the entire TTG directory to your hard disk, swap SD cards and copy everything back to a higher capacity card. Do this before trying to install the new map software (obviuosly) and it also means you have both the original SD card and a hard disk backup should anything happen to the new SD card.
Mattie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neiluk wrote:
The download is not the raw map files so dragging the downloaded file onto the SD card will not work. The download is an eecutable file that runs a TT application to upgrade your TTG. Do you have any firends with windows who would let you pop round for 10 minutes to carry out the update?

Also your original SD card may not be big enough - I had to replace my original 128MB card because even with the original map and all but UK voices removed I still did not have enough space for the new map update. It's easy to upgrade - simply attach you TTG to your mac and copy the entire TTG directory to your hard disk, swap SD cards and copy everything back to a higher capacity card. Do this before trying to install the new map software (obviuosly) and it also means you have both the original SD card and a hard disk backup should anything happen to the new SD card.

Thanks

I have just dloaded the maps, do I also need the installer? I could probably get hold of a Windows system and do the job.

I have a new Kingston 1Gb card but my Classic would not accept last night, indicating it was unreadable. Do I need to initialise or anything? I have backed up my original card.

What next...
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattie wrote:
I have a new Kingston 1Gb card but my Classic would not accept last night, indicating it was unreadable. Do I need to initialise or anything? I have backed up my original card.

What next...

It depends what you mean by 'unreadable'.

Have you tried to run the Classic with the TT Backup on the 1GB card?

Or did you try to Restore the Backup to the 1GB card, but the Classic wouldn't let you?

Mattie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldboy,

I have now got the Classic to recognise the 1Gb card. I have installed the new system (it had a Mac installer) but not the dloaded map which is Windows only. I have received conflicting advice on here about drag and drop for the files dloaded via the Zip option. Any offers on how to proceed?

Matt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what format the Map Files are or what is in the download.

If it is a CAB file the easiest way would be to use a Windows PC and the setup program. This might come with the d/l Map.

When you come to a Menu Option to Store in Other Location (Advanced) you could use that to create a Folder which holds all the Map Detail.

This could then be copied to the TT or burned on a CD, as a Backup if needed.

Would a Mac read a CD that had been created on a PC? If not do a Backup of the SD Card to the Mac as soon as possible.

Mattie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
I don't know what format the Map Files are or what is in the download.

If it is a CAB file the easiest way would be to use a Windows PC and the setup program. This might come with the d/l Map.

When you come to a Menu Option to Store in Other Location (Advanced) you could use that to create a Folder which holds all the Map Detail.

This could then be copied to the TT or burned on a CD, as a Backup if needed.

Would a Mac read a CD that had been created on a PC? If not do a Backup of the SD Card to the Mac as soon as possible.

Thanks Richard,

The files in the folder marked Great_Britain_Plus.ALL Folder are:-

win98
ttn.txt
rsc
menu
setup.exe
cp.txt
Autorun.inf
Great_Britain_Plus.cid

The other file is Great_Britain_Plus.ALL.exe which has the installer for Windows. Does this shed any light?

Regards

Matt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess, and that is all it is, I would think the exe file would install the Map, the details and files all being in the ALL Folder.

If it doesn't, it might be that the setup.exe file in the ALL Folder might do it.

It's obvious that you will need a Windows Machine to do it. If you can get the use of one, it can't do any harm to try it.

Looking at this page, at the bottom, suggests that the download could also install the software program as well as the Map so it might be just like a normal install with all the options, but only with a Windows system.

TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the map cabfile is in the folder MENU/MAP. It's installed via setup.exe
easiest to run the setup.exe file from Win pc.

One other solution:
download the v5.420 update for Mac.
Mount the dmg volume on your Mac.
Copy the TomTom Setup to your desktop

Now create a new volume (via Disk Utility) on your Mac.
Copy all unzipped content from the map download to that volume. (you can leave out setup.exe, that won't be recognized anyway)
Either copy the Tomtom Setup to the new volume's root, or just run the TomTom Setup from where you saved it (on your desktop).
Installer should now start from the volume.
Make sure no Tomtom cd is inserted, otherwise that one is launched.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: