Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workaround for the CP6 Trip Time bug
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workaround for the CP6 Trip Time bug
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does DPDurst actually believe what he implies in his post above? I can't see it as here is someone who holds him or herself out as being from ALK saying without qualification that a fix for a bug is to be found in a certain version that no one has heard of before. Is such a statement really going to go unnoticed, despite the fact that this is the first that has been heard of the version in question? Or should I say that this is the first that has been heard of the patch since, we understand, ALK's UK technical support people put a date of 15 December 2005 for its release?
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet I believe what I say, do you expect a patch instantly for something that is broke. Do you work in software in design and know what goes into the fixes? Our company and I'm sure others (I dont know 100%) state a version of software is forthcoming example, we have a fix for our software the version is 2.364. Know one in the field has heard of it till now, yet its still 2 weeks away. Its pretty nieve to think there may or may not be a version in the works or close and version would not be known by ALK, yet not available to the public just yet. So yes, I believe what I said and it does not suprise me at all about the statement. But I would bet if the version is not the 6.0.1 or it takes a bit longer to maybe put a few more fixes in it that you may just come unglued!
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways of doing this depending on the size of the product and company.

The method that im used to is that there is a schedule of releases of software spaced quarterly or something like that and they have cut-off periods where no more changes will be implemented for each patch or release. Then the coding is froxen and field trialled before being released. They could even be working on 2 releases at once.

So yes they do probably know in general terms thier entire release strategy and versions but will have no idea what the content will be.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpdurst says that it is "naive" not to know that xw meant. If so - and if not - I simply suggest that the situation regarding a release is made clear when similar statements are made on future occasions.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
xw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

I got 6.0.0.68 cab, hardrest my Pocket PC, install the cab, activate license,
confirm no usertip.dat and userstop.dat on the sd card\copilot\save directory.
Start CoPilot, Setting->Map, Mile is the default, click KM, click OK.

I got usertrip.dat with size 829bytes, and userstop.dat with size 85bytes.

Do you have anything you forgot to mention to create this size 0 file?

Thank you very much for helping me find the sequence of operations to create this bug!

XW
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenS wrote:
PhilB wrote:
Quote:
The source of the problem is in the gpstrip.trp file located in folder \SD Card\COPILOT\SAVE
The 3rd last line says:
DefRoadSpeeds=010101010101010101010101010101010101
which means that the deault road speed for all road types is 1mph

Strange, I've searched my SD Card and cannot find this file and all of the other definition files have what appears to be valid data. I'm seeing the ETA display counting down but is this the same problem as being talked about here?
Phil

Phil - it is quite possible that gpstrip.trp does not exist as Copilot sometimes deletes it when it closes down. as per my latest post it is the files usertrip.dat and userstop.dat that are more significant. If they do not exist or have a size of 0 bytes then following my instructions above should fix the problem. Let me know how you get on.

Hi Ken,
Just got home - I followed your advice and changed the Congestion charge flag and bingo the ETA has stopped counting down. Haven't had a chance to look at the SD yet to see what if anything has changed. Will have a look later and let you know.
Cheers
Phil
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xw wrote:
Ken,

I got 6.0.0.68 cab, hardrest my Pocket PC, install the cab, activate license,
confirm no usertip.dat and userstop.dat on the sd card\copilot\save directory.
Start CoPilot, Setting->Map, Mile is the default, click KM, click OK.

I got usertrip.dat with size 829bytes, and userstop.dat with size 85bytes.

Do you have anything you forgot to mention to create this size 0 file?

Thank you very much for helping me find the sequence of operations to create this bug!

XW

OK - here is the answer.

Install Copilot
usertrip.dat and gpstrip.trp do not exist yet
In preferences.cfg UseProfile="0"

Start Copilot
Settings > Routing. Basic is the default, Click Advanced, Click Ok
Menu > Quit Copilot

usertrip.dat and gpstrip.trp still do not exist yet
preferences.cfg has been updated. UseProfile="1"

Start Copilot
Settings > Map, Mile is the default, Click KM, Click OK
usertrip.dat has size 0

As long as in Routing the setting is Basic then usertrip.dat is created correctly during that whole session - even if setting is changed back to Advanced.
If Copilot is started in Advanced, with no usertrip.dat or gpstrip.dat and Map setting is changed then usertrip.dat is created with size 0
When Copilot is installed the default setting is Basic
Once it is changed to Advanced then it will always start up in Advanced because the UseProfile parameter is never changed back to "0" even if the user clicks Basic

So as unlikely as it sounds many users have followed this sequence.
Here is the scenario:
Copilot 5 user receives upgrade to Copilot 6
Happy user goes to Settings > Routing and selects Advanced to explore new features
User decides to close down Copilot and read manual first
User restarts Copilot and goes to Settings > Map and changes settings to be like the ones he had with Copilot 5
usertrip.dat is created with size 0 and user is doomed.
Next journey user takes shows ETA as if his speed is 1mph
Unhappy user tries lots of things to fix problem to no avail.
Unhappy user finds KenS workaround on PGPSW and is happy again.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
xw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I can regenerate this. As you mentioned, this is the source of the ETA problem.

We were told about this, but just could not successfully regenerate it.

I really appreciate your help.

XW
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenS wrote:

...usertrip.dat is created with size 0 and user is doomed.
Next journey user takes shows ETA as if his speed is 1mph
Unhappy user tries lots of things to fix problem to no avail.
Unhappy user finds KenS workaround on PGPSW and is happy again.

KenS, thank you very much for solving this puzzle.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker writes:

Quote:
KenS, thank you very much for solving this puzzle.

Please count me in on that. Also, I think Ken's approach has had a good deal to do with ALK coming in on the thread with a two-way exchange. Let's hope that develops.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and not forgetting thanks to xw (and ALK) for listening and contributing.
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
... and not forgetting thanks to xw (and ALK) for listening and contributing.

Totally agree. I have been involved in software development, testing and debugging myself so I know what is involved. The first problem is being able to reproduce the fault. Looking back at the cause of this bug I can see that it is an apparently unlikely sequence of events but with hundreds or thousands of users it will certainly show up. But how can one person try out all permutations to find the one that is the culprit? What worked here is that I had experienced the problem and had some idea of the cause but xw had the means to start from scratch to reproduce it by reinstalling Copilot (in different versions) - something I was unwilling/unable to do myself.
Of course, those of us who have applied the workaround do not need a patch as it appears to be a permanent fix but it will benefit others and gives us all more confidence in the product.

Windows CE 4.20
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
SupraCoPilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
Thanks for all your efforts in sorting the ETA bug. I had the problem with v6.0.0.68, used the fix and decided not to change any routing settings just in case they caused the snag again. Went on a trip and all seemed well, then set up the trip to come home. Half way back when I noticed that the ETA bug had returned. Arrrggggg....

I have since removed every trace of the program and reinstalled it. Everything now appears OK. Laughing

I'm having fun with the tts files now. With TTS-US-M loaded I get John (US male character), except the "in 500 yards" warning and "then" are both spoken by Jane (posh English) in the middle of the phrases. The TTS-AU file is the same as TTS-UK (male English in the style of Stephen Hawking). Also if you try the Ogg Vorbis files, the US Lisa sounds the same as John. My preference is the Australian Jessica as she seems to speak UK English with an Aussie accent, instead of Jane who speaks UK English with an American inflection. "Welcome to CoPilot" is one strange example of this, with the accent on the wrong syllable.

Garmin Nuvi 255WT
Mio 168
CoPilot 6.0.4.110
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SupraCoPilot wrote:
Ken,
Thanks for all your efforts in sorting the ETA bug. I had the problem with v6.0.0.68, used the fix and decided not to change any routing settings just in case they caused the snag again. Went on a trip and all seemed well, then set up the trip to come home. Half way back when I noticed that the ETA bug had returned. Arrrggggg....

I have since removed every trace of the program and reinstalled it. Everything now appears OK. Laughing

I'm having fun with the tts files now. With TTS-US-M loaded I get John (US male character), except the "in 500 yards" warning and "then" are both spoken by Jane (posh English) in the middle of the phrases. The TTS-AU file is the same as TTS-UK (male English in the style of Stephen Hawking). Also if you try the Ogg Vorbis files, the US Lisa sounds the same as John. My preference is the Australian Jessica as she seems to speak UK English with an Aussie accent, instead of Jane who speaks UK English with an American inflection. "Welcome to CoPilot" is one strange example of this, with the accent on the wrong syllable.

Thanks Steve. Also looks like we keep it as a workaround rather than a fix if it spontaneously reappears.
On the voices problem I have started another thread here to keep things on topic here and to help others find any useful info on voices there.

Windows CE 4.20
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
xw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all the people who bring up this bug and lead me to regenerate this bug.

I just want to follow up with this.

For 6.0.0.68, this bug happens. You may refers to Ken's suggestion to around it.

For 6.0.0.77 and later, this bug does not happen (or I may say it's fixed). At least, I use Ken's sequence operations, and could not regenerate size 0 usertip. The source of the source of the bug is "useProfile" sets to 1, while there is no profile name and etc related things saved.

For 6.0.1.xx, there is another protection at the loading time when encountered size 0 usertrip, it will not load it.

I talked to the product manager about this and the speech file. He told me there is going to be a patch that fix these and some other things coming soon.

I would encourage you browse ALK tech support web or talk to ALK tech support directly.

Thanks!
XW

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: