Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Complete newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Des1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Complete newbie Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I've just (and I mean just) discovered this wonderful site. Whilst searching through Ebay (doesn't everyone at some point!) and by a process of clicks, I found this site. Now, as the subject heading suggests, I am a complete newcomer to the subject of GPS, but I do know that I want it!

I am now seeking some advice before plunging in head first and blind to a subject I know little about. In readiness to this, when I changed my mobile handset a month or so ago, I got one of those new 3G mobiles (Nokia 6680) which I know can accept a GPS system on it's memory card. The 6680 comes with a 64Mg card already, but I gather (from reading within this forum) that at least a 256Mg card is needed. Searching through Ebay, I've found on of these for a total price of £16.49 (including P&P), and it's a Kingston one, who I know are regarded as good. Am I right in thinking that a 256Mg card is enough? Would a 512Mg be overkill?

I have also swapped emails with an Ebay Power Seller who said they can sell me the TomTom 5 software for £5. Seems cheap to me, as I believe it's usually around £120 or so. Any thoughts?

Having I already have the phone, and getting a new MMC card, do I need to buy a GPS receiver or is the Nokia 6680 enough? Also, if I use the system on my mobile, am I paying for a call whilst using it? (See, you can tell I'm a real newbie).

Just to mention that I would use the GPS on my motorbike (well, maxi-scooter to be precise) sometimes, and that begs the question about using bluetooth and a headset to listen to the information that GPS provides, so visuals aren't of the utmost importance, but are up there with actually hearing the thing in action.

If you feel there's anything else I should know, but I don't yet have the knowledge to ask, feel free to let me know.

All replies appreciated. I assume it's best to post within the forum, and not as a PM to me. Let everyone share in my ignorance!

Thanks once again, in anticipation.

Des
Des1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to the above....

If I do need a GPS receiver, can I use 2 Bluetooth devices from 1 mobile phone at the same time (receiver and headset) ??

Thanks.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi welcome to the forums

Quote:
Ebay Power Seller who said they can sell me the TomTom 5 software for £5. Seems cheap to me, as I believe it's usually around £120 or so. Any thoughts?

yes dont buy it it is too cheep and will be copy get the real thing and youll be able to upgade to the next version fairly cheep the software for 5 pounds will be an illeagal copy we are activle refuseing to help people with pirate versions

Quote:
Also, if I use the system on my mobile, am I paying for a call whilst using it?

no you wont pay anything whislt using it unless you use the traffic service
you dont pay to use GPS how ever GPRS the phones internet connection put simply you will pay for the navigation uses GPS

Quote:
card, do I need to buy a GPS receiver or is the Nokia 6680

no the phone isnt enough im afraid youll need a bluetooth gps receiver

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Des1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, Alix.

Seeing as though I need the GPS receiver, is a "Silvershield 16" a model worth having? I've seen it for 45 quid, all in.

Also, any pointers where to get official software from?

Regards.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: