Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Would be nice if 'Review Turns' gave toal distnce of route. At least then we could estimate time to travel before setting off.

2) Better suction mount, mine keeps falling off the windscreen (maybe it's my car)

3) Speed read-out when following a route.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. As you approach a custom POI without no associated trigger speed, the warning message displays the name of the POI (eg: "Alert: GATSO:1234"). If the POI does have a trigger speed, this gets displayed instead (eg: "Speed limit:30mph").

For these POI it would be nice if the warning message alternated between the two - so that I'd know that it was a 30mph limit *and* that it was a Gatso I was looking out for... 8)

2. With custom POI with a trigger speed, there's currently no warning and nothing displayed unless that speed is exceeded. This causes me to think "%$^&! Is it working properly? Did I update the database correctly?" and other such paranoid thoughts! Shocked

I would prefer if the POI were *always* shown on the map and *always* announced with a "bing-bong". Then, if I was exceeding the trigger speed I would expect the "ping-ping-ping" slow-down alarm.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that the speed camera POI is too coarse. We only need a small distance/time warning and showing the relevant icon full time would help.

Also the text at the top of the screen remains on display for too long covering up any usefull information such as upcoming roads etc.

I have tried changing the distance prior and speed setting before downloading the POI file but can't actually see much difference.
avantone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever turned your Garmin round to point at the windscreen in front of you at night? You can actually get a fairly reasonable "head up" display - the only problem is the image is reversed......how about an option to display a "mirror" image. I'd imagine this would be a straightforward firmware mod and the sort of gimmic that would appeal to gadget lovers (well me anyway Embarassed).

As mentioned in an earlier post, the option to have a "power on" password - this wouldn't stop them getting stolen but it may reduce the market for stolen units if they're unusable.

Avantone.....
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
Yes i could do with one of these in my F15.....

Totally deluded! Joker

First he's deluded into thinking he's got the coolest splash screen! Burn In Hell

Now he thinks he's got a jet... Supreme Angel
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

Now he thinks he's got a jet... Supreme Angel

splash screen, i agree. but he DOES have a jet. i've been in it.

MaFt
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
Yes i could do with one of these in my F15..... Surprised

but don't try sticking to the speed camera limits Angel
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that we want Garmin to take us seriously, and hopefully implement some of these ideas - wouldn't it be better to keep posts on subject? Wink
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i would like to see current speed and total distance left added to the navigation screen, surely by making the eta and distance to next turn slightly smaller you could fit the extra two in.

I also think the back road speeds need to be altered for fastest route option, tried coming back from swindon today and it took me on a long winding slow country road which was the same distance and took the same time as by going A420 and A417. Confused other than that for a sub £200 unit it does what i want, even through the maps could be made abit more detailed as it doesnt show every kink in the road like my old tomtom does.

Is there anyway i can stop the unit zooming out? ifind that a pain in the backside.
NoLCD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having to enter a space in the post code entry, ie W128AB is same
as W12 8AB.

Also alternate the ETA time with current speed during routing.

Height would be interesting to have displayed but I guess thats not really the i3's purpose.
chasbee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: search address needs wider scope Reply with quote

recently tried to find address by street name. unfortunately didnt have post code. to succeed had to go on streetmap.co.uk to get postcode.

reason - if know name of street and district garmin doesnt check a wider radius so unless you get the EXACT postal district - your stumped.

unit should check all same named roads in say 5 mile radius just in case the wrong one is being entered.
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: search address needs wider scope Reply with quote

chasbee wrote:
recently tried to find address by street name. unfortunately didnt have post code. to succeed had to go on streetmap.co.uk to get postcode.

reason - if know name of street and district garmin doesnt check a wider radius so unless you get the EXACT postal district - your stumped.

unit should check all same named roads in say 5 mile radius just in case the wrong one is being entered.

Might you do better by searching by City and then narrowing things down? Not tried this just now, but it ought to help as this puts you in the right area without needing to know a post code, I think!

Brian
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would prefer if the POI were *always* shown on the map and *always* announced with a "bing-bong". Then, if I was exceeding the trigger speed I would expect the "ping-ping-ping" slow-down alarm.

I would like the voice to have priority over the ping. Going round the M25, after the 40 mph limits had been lifted, but before updating the database, the instructions for turning onto M4 were entirely obliterated by pings. With cameras after roundabouts I also get "take the bingbing exit"

The ping could be queued until the voice has finished, so that the alert is still given.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very true and I haven't found a way to get the voice instructions repeated.
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Christmas, so my wish now includes a feature that I have not seen on even advanced units.
As the Garmin will not show POIs on the screen, it is hard to guess which is the least out of the way POI to visit. So ... I would like a search facility on a POI file that finds the quickest/shortest POI to add as via into the current route. POI must be reachable in say 15 minutes / miles.

This would be great for finding feeding places en route, or LPG stations as I realised last night when my planned pitstop at Reading was out of supplies. Yes, I know it would take some time for the calculations, but microprocessors are good at maths Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: