Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reorganising the Camera download package. Sorry - long post!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reorganising the Camera download package. Sorry - long post!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reorganising the Camera download package. Sorry - long post! Reply with quote

OK, I'm probably going to get shot down in flames here....
But you guys at PocketGPS must be really tired of constantly having to explain to people how they've gone wrong when installing the camera files, (and it fills up the forum too).

The most common errors seem to be:
1) Adding speed-zoned cameras as well as the single file version and getting the wrong icons etc
2) Not adding the speed-zoned files and wondering why they don't get speed warnings
3)Missing out the red-light, specs and temp files when using the speed-zoned set

I know there are good instructions, but it STILL seems to cause lots of problems. So.... can I humbly suggest a rethink about the structure of the download package?

What I'm suggesting is:
The zip file should have only 3 folders....

1) "Single file version"
This will have all the asc, csv, ov2 bmp etc. subfolders exactly as now

2) "Camera type version"
This will have subfolders which are all the folders called "asc", "csv", "ov2 bmp" and "xls" that are in the 'root' of the download as it is at the moment. Inside those will be the continental, gatso, mobile, redlight, specs and temp files exactly as now.

3) "Speed zoned version"
This again will have subfolders called "csv" and "ov2 bmp" and inside those should be the speedzoned gatso and mobile files AND the redlight, specs, temp and continental files.
There is no need for the existing "gatso" and "mobile" folders.
Also in here could be the "wavs" and "alternative bmp" folders.

Phew, that was a lot harder to write down than to visualise!

It's only a few changes, but what it should mean is that the main gist of the installation instructions could be simplified to:
a) choose one of the three levels of detail
b) choose a folder with the right files for your machine
c) copy all the files from that folder

The only disadvantage I can see is that you would be duplicating a few files in two places, but it only works out to less than 100kb for the ov2bmp files, and we must waste much more bandwidth than that repeating ourselves on the forum!

What do you think, guys?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can see I started a heated debate this time! Laughing Embarassed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why your suggestion couldn't be implemented but we are working on an entirely new distribution system which means a re-organisation right now would be difficult.

Hopefully the system we're working on will resolve the issue once and for all but thanks for your views, they are appreciated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: