Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some replies to questions from Navicore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some replies to questions from Navicore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
energylevel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info ...

I've had a chance to test drive the software now ( I have 1.2 )

As far as the ' Arrows' screen ( I think in TomTom Mobile 5 it is basically the 'turn off map' option) I believe this included in a beta version at the moment with Navicore. They seem very keen to take on board feedback and improve the software. If anyone is thinking of going for a Symbian SatNav option go for Navicore as they seem to be very progressive and listening to their customers....

The other major addition I would like is full UK postcode search as I am often given business addresses without street name and/or number. I did buy the OV2 files from http://www.poisoft.co.uk and used the POI tool from Navicore to convert them, the tool seemed to convert the OV2 files fine on my PC but the issue I had with most of them was I couldn't install the nce file as I got memory out errors on my Nokia 6680 with Navicore, if anyone manages to install the nce files doing this I'd appreciate them dropping me a line. I managed so far to get the Wales postcodes installed on Navicore as this was the smallest file...
rdakin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Navicore V TomTom Reply with quote

I wish I found this forum before I spent my money !!
I have Navicore 2005 and I quite like it, with two exceptions :

1 - No full UK postcode selection, in fact I find the route selection very quirky.
2 - I don't want an American accent telling me where to go !

The road postioning seems deadly accurate, I especially like the instruction to 'exit now' when on a roundabout etc.
Additionally I don't want a 256mb MMC - I have a 512mb card and I wanted to transfer the software over. In my card reader, everytime I put the card in, it caused a BSD on my PC and requires a full power down to recover.
Has anybody else experienced this ?

I emailed Navicore with my concerns and recieved this.......

Quote:
> Software version *: Navicore Personal UK 2005 Support request *: I
> would like 'British' English voice prompts, not
> 'American' English, how do I change that ?

Unfortunately Navicore doesn't have "British English" voice prompts.

> I cannot find this street in the data base -
> PE19 8BZ, Queens Court, Eaton Socon, but it is on the map, why is
> this ???

Navicore supports only international postcode format, type your address with 4-5 postcode numbers, full Eglish postcodes are not unfortunately supported.

> There are lots of places that do not get found by
> post code, or street address - RG40 3AE, Easthampstead Road is an
> example. But can be found if I enter Wokingham then look for the
> street - why is that ??
>
>
--

Santtu Räsänen, Navicore Ltd, Technical Support

I currently have TomTom mobile 5, which is a rip that I bought from Ebay for £5 - I don't normally buy software in this fashion, but I will shell out the full price if and only if, TT5 proves to be a better buy.
At the moment, TT5 is winning in only two places

1 - I can use full post code search
2 - I can have a 'British' voice

TT5 doesnt release the speaker on my CK-7W kit on 6680 after issuing instructions - I haven't tested the Navicore, I'll do that today.

I am interested in seeing how these post code and voice mods for Navicore that have been mentioned here, work. How would I get them on the card, taking into account my problem above.

Additionally, I emailed Navicore and asked them to release the software registration so that I can sell the software on. I based on the grounds that I cannot use the software because of the problems I highlighted above.
I had an email back saying that the serial number had been released, so top marks to them for that.
I MAY hav a Navicore 2005 UK for sale, who knows ??!!
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also was frustrated by Navicore not having the full UK postcodes.
I also went to poisoft and bought a version of the UK postcodes which the navicore tool turned into the correct POI format for the software.

It does work. However there are 3 caveats.

1. The postcode database seems very out of date. I've lived in this house for 7 years and my postcode isn't in there. When I spoke to somebody at poisoft he claimed that they did have newer versions of the postcode database, but that they weren't in the same format and that they worked with their own tool/application.

2. The databases are large. I tend to only load in the ones for the areas that I'm going to visit.

3. Becase of the size, navicore is a little sluggish when selecting entries from them.

As far as voices go, select the male one. That's closer to UK English.
Also, since they are just audio files in a given directory, it would be simple to add your own voices.

-- gyre --
energylevel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gyre ... I bought the OV2 files too from poisoft but have problems installing most of the nce files created with Navicore's POI tool. The issue I have is memory out problem on my Nokia 6680 when I lainch Navicore to install the new nce files. I mabnge to get the three smallest ones in .. Have you managed to get al of them installed ? .. and have you tried to install one file. I managed to successfully create one nce file whcih combine all poisoft's OV2 files into one . but obviouclsly no chnace of imstalling it as the file size is way tooo bug given the memeory out errors I'm getting for some of the individual bigger file anyway...
energylevel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other point that's been raised here about bluetooth car kit compatibility

I can confirm I have tried both TomTom Mobile 5 and Navicore, my setup is:

Nokia 6680 with latest firmware
Parrot CK3000 Evolution Bluetooth Car Kit with latest firmware

TomTom does NOT release the audio back to the Radio/CD

Navicore does release the audio ..YIPEEE !!

I think Navicore are a very progressive company and interested in improving their software ... I believe they have plans to include the full postcode search in a not too distant future version, I wouldn't just discard the software cos you've been using TomTom and see missing features in Navicore you're used to, things could change...

The only other major gripe apart from full UK postcode search is that Navicore often just displays a road name .. it doesn't show the A number or B number of the road. I think it's quite important as all UK road signs show roads like: A6, A5145, B1064 etc .. so on screen road names should really be displayed like:

Didsbury Rd - A5145

I think TomTom has the edge on this one...

So we have both road name and number displayed ....
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version of Navicore is on the SE p910i. I guess I have more memory for it to run in.

I've loaded the southwest and wales postcode POIs and they've loaded OK.

-- gyre --
energylevel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity have you tried installing one combine postcode file?? The extension editor did make one complete nce file onmy PC ( although it took a while) but obviously I couldn't install it...
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried that yet. Smile

-- gyre --
energylevel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I managed to install the Wales and South West ones too as they were the smallest files, I was unsuccessfuul with other as they were bigger files.. try one like the North West ..

I've sent you a private message ny the way...
adam7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Navicore V TomTom Reply with quote

rdakin wrote:

2 - I don't want an American accent telling me where to go !
I have a 512mb card and I wanted to transfer the software over. In my card reader, everytime I put the card in, it caused a BSD on my PC and requires a full power down to recover.
Has anybody else experienced this ?
Quote:
> Software version *: Navicore Personal UK 2005 Support request *: I
> would like 'British' English voice prompts, not
> 'American' English, how do I change that ?

Unfortunately Navicore doesn't have "British English" voice prompts.

I am interested in seeing how these ... and voice mods for Navicore that have been mentioned here, work. How would I get them on the card, taking into account my problem above.
I had an email back saying that the serial number had been released, so top marks to them for that.

it's a shame that they release american english in the u.k. very inconsiderate

when they released the scaninavian version, swedish had a male and female version of swedish as spoken in sweden, but also a female version of swedish with the intonation of a native swedish speaker living in finland (we are abt. 300.000) curious that the have not noted the tens of millions speakers of british english

however, if you really want british voices you can easily either
1. use an internet site that does voice synthetising with a british voice, and save the files as wav files
2. pick up voice synthetising software
3. record your own voice or your kids voice

and import them with the same name as a separate folder under the "voices" folder. go and have a look at file->properties of the present voices not to make too big files that the phone's tiny processor cant handle

TTM has ogg vorbis files that need to be processed by an utility etc. a major hassle. navicore has simple wav-files.

and, btw. buy a new card reader. when you want to read the crad, see to that windows explorer shows also hidden files and system files (I think this was needed also). you can easily copy the prog on a new card. when you use the new card and old phone for the first time, the phone will send an sms to navicore "registering" your new mem-card. nothing else to it.
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.rhetorical.com/

They have an on-line TTS (Text To Speech) engine,

Carl,
energylevel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the site must be down at the moment...
rdakin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that he male voice is actually very English I must just have listened to the female one and assumed they were both USA !!

I have bought a new card reader (The USB pen type from Mobymemory) and that can't read the Navicore card either, it comes up as unreadable, so I have emailed Navicore support requesting a return and replacement.

The Navicore has some very annoying route planning, like insisting that coming from Docklands I use the M11-M25-A1m to get to St Neots, Cambs, when I know that the M11 is my best route. It wanted me to come off the M11 and U turn back to the M25 and didn't reroute until I was about 25 miles away north from the M25, then it insisted that I go up to the the A14 and not take the A428!!
Another goody is coming south on the M6 to get to St Neots, it wanted me to exit at the M42, rather than continue to the A14 - goodness know where it would have taken me next. In fact on the way up, it thought the A14 was actually the M6 !!

I am using the TT5 at the moment.
The most annoying thing about that is, it takes ages to lock onto the GPS receiver, and keeps the radio muted at all times after issuing a route instruction - the way around that is to hit the silence key, twice - one for off and the other for on, but thats only OK till the next instruction....... Twisted Evil
energylevel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed TomTom about the radio mute problem with bluetooth car kits and TomTom Mobile 5 ... there response was they don't support Prrot Bluetooth car kits .. that's good, I've seen a lot of forum posts where people have the same problem with Nokia bluetooth car kits ... so they mustn't support them either...

So they don't support Parrot bluetooth car kits and they don't support Nokia bluetooth car kits ( it would appear so anyway) .. that accounts for a large portion of car kits that are being used .. so which car kits do they actually support ????

This kind of response says to me that they are not too interested in the mobile phone market at them moment ... I think you'll find Navicore are keen to progress there software for the smartphone market ( let's hope so) .. competition should be a good thing for the consumer!!!
rdakin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is NOT just a bluetooth car kit (CK-7W). It does have the capability, but I use it as a traditional hardwired device - still won't work, but Navicore does.
I think TT have left out the important bit of code to release the signal back - it can't be difficult Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: