Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swampmonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: No Hangups Now Reply with quote

A full days usage and no hangups. Version 2.4 does seems to work.
I say well done Garmin for picking up on the problem so early and fixing it. ....... now watch someone spoil it with a 2.4 hangup :D
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i parked on the bottom floor of a multistory car park and my i3 hung..can you tell me whats wrong! .......(NOT)

seems like v2.4 works well ..i also have had no hangups ...but you are right swampmonster someone will spoil it.......i
chic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the best place to mount this unit, i have tried various places on the windscreen and i cant decide where best to put it, at the moment i have it directly in front of me about 30 cms up from the bottom of the windscreen, i have a clear view of the road, could the police tell me to move it to the corner of the screen or is it ok so long as i have a clear view of the road ahead
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best place chic is where you dont have to move your head whilst driving only your eyes..the lower part of the windscreen is the most logical place...dont forget you can use the 'sticky pad' to place the i3 on the top of the dash..
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have mine on the opposite side to the tax disc but the same place (that make sense?!) basically, lower right hand side of window. easy to reach to adjust (but not while driving ;) ) and easy to see too.

MaFt
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful MaFt cos thats an easy place for someone to reach in and swipe it..
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
be careful MaFt cos thats an easy place for someone to reach in and swipe it..

i have air-con, we hardly have the windows down, even in summer. when i do have them open it's about an inch to get rid of a nasty smell ;) we drive everywhere with doors locked anyway after a nasty car-jacking attempt in salford a few years back. plus we never leave it in the car on it's own - gps systems die in hot cars.. oh wait, that's dogs... even just nipping into the shops for some milk the garmin comes with us.

MaFt

ps - thanks for your concern though!
GeckoGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to put mine higher up than that, otherwise I have to catch it when it falls off Rolling Eyes probably not very safe!

I think the slope on my windscreen is too steep for it (have a Honda Jazz) but it sits quite happily on the top third of the screen, and it's quite easy to look at it when driving. Haven't tried it in my camper van yet, but the windscreen on that doesn't slope much at all, so will probably behave better.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg...the sucker on the i3 seems to very good so dont worry about it falling off....i'm lucky i've got a compartment on top of the dash with a lid so i stuck the sticky pad supllied into the compartment and then put the suction mount onto that and now i can clip the i3 on and off when needed....
GeckoGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman - it doesn't stay stuck on the lower part of my screen - i thought i hadn't attached it properly the first time it fell off - but it did again the next day as well. since it's been attached to the top - less steep - part it's stayed attached quite happily.

i may try the dash mount though - hadn't thought of that - hadn't even noticed it actually - i was too excited about the unit to worry too much what else was in the box!!
GeckoGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: CitySelect Europe & i3 Reply with quote

I have had another reply from Garmin about the i3's compatibility with CitySelect Europe.

Quote:
I have spoken to someone else about if you have city select and if you got
another card you can send maps down to it for eupo.
Regards,
Brad Rose
Product Support
Garmin (Europe) Ltd

I shall buy the software and see what happens. I'll post back once it's done - if no-one else tries it in the meantime
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg..i've got mg usa v4.01 which i could autoroute with when i was in the states....do you want me to send you copies so you can load it onto a card and see if it auturoutes correctly on the i3.i would be very interested to see if it works and it would save you a bunch of cash...
GeckoGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's mg usa? does it cover europe too (sorry to sound thick) as that's where i'm going....

thanks for the offer - happy to try that - presumably the mg software isn't licenced to your gps tho?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg..metroguide usa is the last autoroutable software garmin produced before they went to non-routable software ie mg v5 and v6 (all mg's did not need an unlock code so you could copy them ) ....then they brought out the city selects which autoroute but are very expensive and you need an unlock code....unfortunetly all the mg europes did not autoroute...i used mg usa v4.01 with a garmin 60c on a trip to the states in april and and it worked brilliantly telling us how to get to any place selected... if you are going to europe have another look at the i3 cos i'm sure i saw some foriegn address's (belguim,france) in there whilst looking for something else...
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Europe cover Reply with quote

The European 'base map' that is on the i3 is VERY basic. Sad

Try finding Paris or Tolouse in France - not listed but some obscure parts of France etc are. Question

Also Garmin Tech Support tell me you cannot route plan on the base map - only follow where you are.

Still a great buy for £199 though, especially now the software is improved (and easy to install). :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 7 of 39

Jump to: