Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 519 routing frustrations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

519 routing frustrations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: 519 routing frustrations Reply with quote

My 510 is driving me round the bend, literally !!

It keeps making bizare routes, and I mean really strange ones. On holiday in France it kept wanting to take me from the cottage where we were staying via a dirt track that ended up the wrong side of town (I know, because I followed onece) instead of the staying on the main road into town. I also kept getting random "turn right" or "turn left" commands when there was clearly no adjacent road to the (straight) one we were on.

Then tonight, while plotting another route in France it has again taken me off the main road and round the other side of a mountain, adding about 40Kms onto the journey. I've checked the settings, they're not set in such a way that it will try and keep me off of main routes.

Has anybody else experienced this ?

Frankly, the unit is worse that useless as it's giving wrong information rather than none at all.... I'm seriously tempted to get rid of it and run with something better.....

ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say that you have set your "Routing Preferences" right, what does that mean exactly?

ie......"Route Type" in the middle
Preference for Motorways minimum
Preference for Urban Roads maxim

Page on to the next page and put a tick in the "Avoid Unsurfaced Roads"

The only reason that I can think of for it preferring small lanes is if you have the "Route Type" set to "Shortest" then it will virtually route as the crow flies.

I have toured a number of counties including France with my unit and it has been very good.

Hope this helps.
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The avoid dirt roads is ticked, and it certainly isn't the fastet (or shortest) of routes.

I'm off on a bike trip next week so I ran a couple of routes throu the 510, on one it ads 22kms taking me the long way round a mountain... I'm seriusly miffed as I bought it mainly for touring anyway...

ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you deleted any existing "Avoid Area's" and then used the
Avoid Area" option to create the route that you want?
When I was touring the French Pyrenees on my bike I had to create the route that I wanted to take when I got there by installing lots of "Avoid Area's" so that I got the route that I wanted which I couldn't get any other way for love of money.
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I shouldn't have to... I don't understand why it routes the way it does...

This is the actual problem that I have:

Coming North on the D902 along the Col du Vars towards Guillestre my route takes me onto the N94 (still North) to Briancon. I had a "way point" at La Roche-de-Rame, then another at Prelles.

However the 510 routed me as far as La Roche-de-Rame, then brought me back down the way I came to Guillestre and up the D902, the long way round, into Briancon, out the other side and down to the way point at Prelles. It then did a U turn and took me back up to Briancon Confused

I checked to make sure that I had all the way points in order and last night I did it again, with the same result... To be honest, with routing like this it's next to useless...

WELLHEADS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: NAVMAN MISTAKES Reply with quote

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM " SEE POST FROM WELLHEADS"[/b]
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O Any chance that the "avoid toll roads" has a tick in it. Because if your planned route has a toll road in it, no matter how short, the 510 will give you some strange routes.
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1708 wrote:
8O Any chance that the "avoid toll roads" has a tick in it. Because if your planned route has a toll road in it, no matter how short, the 510 will give you some strange routes.

No, not at all. The box isn't ticked, and there were no toll roads on the route anyway. I've come to the conclusion that the route engine is pants....

larkshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have mapped your route on my ICN 510, and on a PIN 570.

the ICN basically agrees with yours ONLy when i have route preferences at default. I usually have mine set to quickest no avoids and both road prefs set to high (I don't care what road type i use). At my settings route is more direct.

The PIN 570 gives an entirely diferent route, but I wonder if a) he new Euro basemap, or b) the French maps have been re-jigged, or both.

I just wish I could find an itemised list of map changes, they sure as hell haven't done anything much with UK roads, apart from congestion zone in London, but any pillock would know those, and the boundary roads.
themoonismadeofbluecheese
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Try a 520 in liverpool Reply with quote

Turn left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn left turn left!!!!

yep that's exactly what it did at ever junction. I'd still be going round in circles now if I'd followed the instructions, except that it wanted me to use a oneway system the wrong way!

We have now parted company!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: