Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Would like to use Tomtom 2 GPS on laptop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Would like to use Tomtom 2 GPS on laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loiphin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Would like to use Tomtom 2 GPS on laptop Reply with quote

Hi,

I have Tomtom Navigator 2, and would also like to use the GPS receiver on my COM port on my laptop. Does anybody know of an adapter I can use, to convert the PDA end in a DB9 female? Or can I wire up the RJ11 straight from the GPS into my laptop?

I have the original Tomtom 2 GPS receiver, supposedly a Leadtek 9532?

Thanks very much,

Simon.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Would like to use Tomtom 2 GPS on laptop Reply with quote

Yes, you can purchase a DB9 serial lead. You just unplug the Pocket PC part of the lead and plug the new one in. There around £20 and can be purchased from Widget
loiphin
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I am still stumped! I can't find the cable in question anywhere on Widget's site?!?! Just to clarify what I need:

I normally use my Tomtom 2 GPS with an iPaq PDA. Every now and then I would like to unplug the GPS from the PDA and use it on my laptop. But I need some kind of converter to convert from the thin, flat iPAQ connector to a DB9 serial. I dont really wanna shell out another £100 for a serial port based GPS receiver.

Regards,

Simon.
TonyP
Regular Visitor

I have never heard of such a cable. I dont think TomTom make cables for laptops because they dont have the software.

It is possible to make a cable. You need to use the PS/2 mouse port for the 5V power.

I had to do it the other way round, I had a DB9 PS/2 GPS and I had to convert it to use a TomTom PDA cable.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Simon, sorry made the assumption there as Widget sell a whole selection of cables for the Leadtek. You can get an RS232 (9 pin serial) cable for the Leadtek, TDC stock them, but I don't think they sell them seperately, only with the GPS Receiver.

If you purchased a complete PortaNav (9531/9532) from Leadtek you would get a serial cable as standard from what I remember.

Tony, these cables definately exist, TomTom don't make the GPS Receiver, Leadtek do, but trying to buy the cables seperately is always a problem because most retailers will only make a couple of quid and they'd rather sell the cables complete with a GPS Receiver and make more money.

Check out the picture below:-

You basically need the bottom end of this cable that goes from the Y splitter junction box, down to the connector. You would then power the GPS Receiver from your PS/2 socket. Obviously you'll need to purchase seperate software for your laptop, and you won't get TomTom Navigator on the PC.
loiphin
Occasional Visitor

Dave,

Thanks for your help. You are a top man!

Regards,

Simon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

No problem, I know TDC, TecRep sell this setup, but they tend not to like to split the cables. You could try contacting Widget and see if they would be prepared to order the cable for you, I'm sure they will, but the order might have to be taken over the phone rather than via the website.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: