Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth GPS Receiver,Nokia 6600&Tom Tom M5!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth GPS Receiver,Nokia 6600&Tom Tom M5!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth GPS Receiver,Nokia 6600&Tom Tom M5! Reply with quote

Hi 1st post in these forums but was recommended these forums from the dvdforums.

Ive just recently acquired a Nokia 6600,Tom Tom 5 Mobile on a 128mb MMC and purchased a Bluetooth GPS receiver off Ebay.It was brand new and from a large company.

This is the BT GPS receiver I bought from ebay.It is a BT-77 GPS I think that has good write ups on the net everywhere Ive seen.It isnt the same company but excatly the same model.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver-16-Channel-Works-with-TomTom_W0QQitemZ5796924662QQcategoryZ4668QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ive read the instructions and that it could 30-60 mins to get a 1st fix but Im still not getting anything.This isnt my 1st GPS.

Ive used a Garmin full sized GPS(late 90's) and currently also using a Garmin Navtalk GSM 6 mobile phone & GPS.It works great apart from one thing it only has 16mb of street level mapping data and the whole of the UK is 128Mb.

As I was getting a Nokia 6600 then i thought I would get Tom Tom 5 mobile and try it out.

When I turn on the GPS receiver I get a red and green light from the left hand LED and then it turns to flashing red every 3 secondish.The Blue tooth light(right hand LED) flashes every 3 seconds but some times flashes in quick succession and then goes back to flashing every 3 seconds.

I go into Blue tooth on the Nokia 6600 and it finds the BT GPS when searching for new pairing.I set it to authorise and input the pass code of 0000 into authorise it and it seems to be all set up on the Nokia 6600 but yet the Bluetooth light on the BT GPS still stays as above most of the time(flashing roughly every 3 seconds and occassionaly in quick succession.)

I was out with it today and at the highest point in the park with clear 360 degrees visibility all around me and stayed put nearly an hour and all Tom Tom 5 mobile kept saying was "waiting for Valid GPS Signal"

I also had my Garmin Navtalk with me and that picked up the GPS with no problems and at times I had 7 sats locked with no problem maintaing sat lock but yet TT5M still kept saying "waiting for valid GPS signal"

Any one help as this driving me up the wall.

Is the GPS receiver faulty? Is the bluetooth working on both the GPS & Nokia? My guess would be that it is as the Nokia detects the BT GPS when searhing for blue tooth devices.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
laich71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate,

1st question have you configured ttm5 with this gps unit in the setup menu?

Also nokia will detect bluetooth devices even if the phone bluetooth is off so make sure that is on.

Make sure nokia pairs with the device without confirmation.

flashing red light means that satelite has been picked up, fast blue flash means not paired with phone properly. once paired the blue light flashes slower.

I think the problem is with the pairing with the phone/configure gps within ttm5.

Go thru above and let us know how you get on.
dhevans_6
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth GPS Receiver,Nokia 6600&Tom Tom M5! Reply with quote

Q101 wrote:
I go into Blue tooth on the Nokia 6600 and it finds the BT GPS when searching for new pairing.I set it to authorise and input the pass code of 0000 into authorise it and it seems to be all set up on the Nokia 6600 but yet the Bluetooth light on the BT GPS still stays as above most of the time(flashing roughly every 3 seconds and occassionaly in quick succession.)

I was out with it today and at the highest point in the park with clear 360 degrees visibility all around me and stayed put nearly an hour and all Tom Tom 5 mobile kept saying was "waiting for Valid GPS Signal"

I also had my Garmin Navtalk with me and that picked up the GPS with no problems and at times I had 7 sats locked with no problem maintaing sat lock but yet TT5M still kept saying "waiting for valid GPS signal"

Any one help as this driving me up the wall.

Is the GPS receiver faulty? Is the bluetooth working on both the GPS & Nokia? My guess would be that it is as the Nokia detects the BT GPS when searhing for blue tooth devices.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

The only thing I can say is if TTM5 couldn't see the GPS it would say no GPS found rather than waiting for valid GPS signal.
If the 6600 has got a valid BT connection you'll see a black dot with brackets around it in the normal Nokia screen.
Q101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laich71 wrote:
hi mate,

1st question have you configured ttm5 with this gps unit in the setup menu?

Also nokia will detect bluetooth devices even if the phone bluetooth is off so make sure that is on.

Make sure nokia pairs with the device without confirmation.

flashing red light means that satelite has been picked up, fast blue flash means not paired with phone properly. once paired the blue light flashes slower.

I think the problem is with the pairing with the phone/configure gps within ttm5.

Go thru above and let us know how you get on.

How do I configure TT5M to the GPS?Im taking it that you mean on the nokia.Had a look in the TT5M menu's but couldnt find anything.
iang27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you changed the option in the Tom Tom gps menu to 'Other gps Receiver' instead of 'Tom Tom Wireless GPS' or tried renaming your receiver ?
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a similar prob with a fortuna clip-on, the only way i could get the two to work together was to do as you have done, then switch of the gps receiver remove the battery, re-insert and turn on the gps receiver.

big pain, but it worked.

was told that somthing was going into "flight mode"
Q101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detailed below is a step by step guide to what I have done.

On Nokia 6600 1st turn on Bluetooth in connectivity menu.Dot appears below Battery Indicator.

Select New Pairing

Searches for Devices.

Finds BT-GPS

Requests Code-Input 0000. BT-GPS Pairing Complete

Shows up as BT-GPS in paired devices.Thats the only one I have in list.(no brackets around the DOT though) as previously stated earlier in this thread there should be)

On Nokia 6600 with paired devices on screen the options on left key are:

New Paired Device
Assign Short Name
Set as Authorised
Delete
Delete All
Help
Exit

I have set the BT-GPS as Authorised but still no brackets around the dot.

Run TT5M opens with screen saving 'No Route planned'
Map on Left Key and Done on Right Key

Press Done then Centre button to bring up Menu 1/2.

1.Navigate to
2.Find Alternative(blanked out)
3.Clear Route (Blanked out)
4.Add Favourite
5.Change Preferences
6.Next

Select on left key and Cancel Key on right Button.

So I go down to 5.Change Preferences and takes me to another menu Page 1/4.

Page 3/4 No.1 Configure GPS (select).

On display is GPS Status.At top left it says 'No GPS Device'

Then W 0.00000 Degrees
S 0.00000 Degrees

then 0 degrees 0 Mph.

and then 11 Bars of which there is nothing in anything.

Left Key says Configure and Right Key says Done.

Configure brings up a screen with GPS Position display saying

'Please specifiy how you wish longitudes and latitudes to be displayed:

Degrees (d.d)
Minutes (d m.m')
Seconds (d m's")

I select Degrees and then done.There is no other Menu anywhere to "Select other BT-GPS Device" like I have read on some threads.

Tom Tom Version model no is:

App Version 4.400 (285)
GPS Driver v1.20

Map::'Great Britain Navigator Map V2.80

Language English

In Change preferences. the 4 Menus as as below:

1/4

1.Use night Colours
2.Turn off 3D Display
3.Turn off map Display
4.Hide POI
5.Turn off Sound
6.Next

2/4

1.Change Volume
2.Maintain Favourites (blanked Out)
3.Change Home Location
4.Change Voice
5.Maintain POI
6.Next

3/4

1.Configure GPS
2.Set Name Display
3.Guided Tour
4.Set Day Colour
5.Set Night Colour
6.Next

4/4.

1.Set Units
2.About Tom Tom Mobile
3.Clear Route(blanked Out)
4.Change Voice
5.Switch Language
6.Next

On the Menu 2 of Navigate to the options are

1.Home
2.Favourite(Blanked out)
3.Address
4.GPS Position (Blanked out)
5.Recent destination
6.Point of interest.

The second menu next to Navigate which is reached by right press on the centre button or 6.Next brings up a menu.

1.Plan from A-B
2.Browse Map
3.Show Status
4.Show route instructions(blanked out)
5.Exit Application.
6.Next

Press 1.Plan A-B and brings up menu of

1.Home
2.Favourites(blanked Out)
3.Address
4.GPS Position
5.Recent Destination
6.Point of Interest.

I go down to 4. and I get 'No Valid GPS Signal'

Ive tried every menu and seen what it does but cant find a menu to change GPS device.Would appreciate other people trying there TT5M and seeing if it has the same menus or different.

Cheers for any help.
Q101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iang27 wrote:
Have you changed the option in the Tom Tom gps menu to 'Other gps Receiver' instead of 'Tom Tom Wireless GPS' or tried renaming your receiver ?

No such menu in my version.Are you running Tom Tom 5 Mobile(stupid question I know but thought I would ask)

"i had a similar prob with a fortuna clip-on, the only way i could get the two to work together was to do as you have done, then switch of the gps receiver remove the battery, re-insert and turn on the gps receiver.

big pain, but it worked.

was told that somthing was going into "flight mode"

Tried turning off the GPS,changed batteries while Tom Tom is running and no luck.Im beginning to think it isnt transmitting via bluetooth even though it is paired up in the menu as no brackets around the dot on the nokia screen.
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you have said yourself in the list of info,

you have got tomtom mobile version 4 not 5

4 will only work with the tomtom receiver
Q101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliendad wrote:
as you have said yourself in the list of info,

you have got tomtom mobile version 4 not 5

4 will only work with the tomtom receiver

Cheers for that.Still cant get the nokia 6600 to get brackets around the dot on the screen either.
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q101 wrote:

Tom Tom Version model no is:

App Version 4.400 (285)
GPS Driver v1.20

Cheers for any help.

just to show you the section in your quote
Q101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions for the GPS for the LED's and what they mean are as below

LED 1

Red Light:Indicates GPS Tracking has been activated
Orange light:Indicates GPS is being Charged
Green Light: While flashing indicates Low Battery.Steady light Indicates
Fully charged.

LED 2

Blue light:Flashing swiftly indicates pairing;Flashing once a second
PDA/PC and GPS has been connected.Flashing every 3 seconds
Signals connection failed.

Since I have had this BT GPS when it is switched on then I get a flashing Red Light on LED 1 every 3 secs and a blue flashinglight on LED 2 every 3 seconds but not at the same time as LEd 1 though.According to the instructions this means that LED 2 is saying bluetooth connection has failed and doesnt change even if the phone is right next to it.The flashing red has no mention just Red(but nothing about flashing) and the Nokia 6600 isnt showing any brackets around the dot even though they pair up together.

Any help?
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you posted your last message before seeing my messages before?

but you have got tomtom mobile 4

not tomtom mobile 5

ttm4 will only work tomtom's own receiver
aliendad
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q101 wrote:

LED 1

Fully charged.

LED 2

Since I have had this BT GPS when it is switched on then I get a flashing Red Light on LED 1 every 3 secs and a blue flashinglight on LED 2 every 3 seconds but not at the same time as LEd 1 though.According to the instructions this means that LED 2 is saying bluetooth connection has failed and doesnt change even if the phone is right next to it.The flashing red has no mention just Red(but nothing about flashing) and the Nokia 6600 isnt showing any brackets around the dot even though they pair up together.

Any help?

unless you are running a program in the background that is using the gps receiver you will not get the brackets around the symbol on the phone's main screen.

pairing does not mean they are connected, and unlike a bluetooth headset, the gps receiver cannot start the connection, it has to be started by the gps software
Q101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliendad wrote:
Q101 wrote:

LED 1

Fully charged.

LED 2

Any help?

unless you are running a program in the background that is using the gps receiver you will not get the brackets around the symbol on the phone's main screen.

pairing does not mean they are connected, and unlike a bluetooth headset, the gps receiver cannot start the connection, it has to be started by the gps software

Cheers for all the help.That seems to sort why it isnt working then.Have seen that I have Tom Tom 4 but we posted quite close together.Thanks again for all the help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: