Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there any GPS unit that can do hiking and car travel?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there any GPS unit that can do hiking and car travel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BKSinAZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Is there any GPS unit that can do hiking and car travel? Reply with quote

Totally new to GPS. Forgive me. I need two GPS units, one for each Yamaha ATV that I have.

I go hiking and ATVing alot. But I also travel in my car alot. Is there a ONE unit that will do both? I have been looking at the Garmin Rhino on the internet, but cant get my question answered. Is there a better unit? Perhaps a unit that I can hook up a 12 volt connection on my ATV? I dont want to spend more then 350.00 per unit.

Is a quad helix antenna the best?

I liked the Rhino because I can track locations of my children who also use the ATV's. Is there any other units that I can track with? If I get something with location tracking, I perfer something that I can track constantly and not just by polling or requesting.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all equipment you would need - Bluetooth PDA, GPS reciever, Bluetooth phone, secure mount - you will have difficulty getting anywhere near your budget - even before you consider the costs for the software. However, if you are prepared to forgo the touch screen, you could always look at the smartphone options. (unfortunately an area where I have no experience - I will leave it to someone else to add details)

I believe that CoPilot would give the FEATURES you require, but as you may have read from other forums, there are many who are unhappy about how the features are implemented - particularly routing.
BKSinAZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
With all equipment you would need - Bluetooth PDA, GPS reciever, Bluetooth phone, secure mount -

Why would I need all of that? Phones, PDAs....Forgive my being a newbe?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not so much the equipment you need but the functions.

Computer
GPS Receiver
Internet connection

And the ability for the items to talk to each other.

Differrent devices will combine some of the functions - I don't know if any devices combine all the required features.
BKSinAZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Which receiver? Reply with quote

Ok...I got a home computer as well as a laptop. Both have high speed internet connections. Now...which receiver?

neil01 wrote:
It is not so much the equipment you need but the functions.

Computer
GPS Receiver
Internet connection

And the ability for the items to talk to each other.

Differrent devices will combine some of the functions - I don't know if any devices combine all the required features.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any GPS unit that can do hiking and car travel? Reply with quote

BKSinAZ wrote:
I go hiking and ATVing alot. But I also travel in my car alot. Is there a ONE unit that will do both? I have been looking at the Garmin Rhino on the internet, but cant get my question answered. Is there a better unit? Perhaps a unit that I can hook up a 12 volt connection on my ATV? I dont want to spend more then 350.00 per unit.

Bascially the answer to your question is no. A hiking based unit will suck at road navigation. A road navigation unit will suck at hiking.

What you need is two seperate bits of software, best way to do this is with a PDA as you can load more than one application onto it, such as Memory Map for hiking and TomTom for roads. Couple that with a bluetooth GPS and you're sorted.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any GPS unit that can do hiking and car travel? Reply with quote

BKSinAZ wrote:
I dont want to spend more then 350.00 per unit.

PS. 350.00 what? Pounds? Euros? Australian Dollars?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any GPS unit that can do hiking and car travel? Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
BKSinAZ wrote:
I dont want to spend more then 350.00 per unit.

PS. 350.00 what? Pounds? Euros? Australian Dollars?

Assuming £350 (which is the largest amount) I can't see how all the requirements can be met within that budget - possibly anywhere near that budget!

Of couse if you go Smartphone (or the O2 XDA or equivalent) route, you may appear to be within the budget, because they are often greatly subsidised when obained as part of a contract. But as everyone should know, very little in life is for free, and you will possibly just end up paying the subsidy back during the contract period.

Obviously, if a contract phone is suitable for you, and you are in the process of finding a suitable additional/replacement contract(s) anyway, the econonics of the situaltion will be very different (in your favour).
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any GPS unit that can do hiking and car travel? Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
BKSinAZ wrote:

Bascially the answer to your question is no. A hiking based unit will suck at road navigation. A road navigation unit will suck at hiking.

What you need is two seperate bits of software, best way to do this is with a PDA as you can load more than one application onto it, such as Memory Map for hiking and TomTom for roads. Couple that with a bluetooth GPS and you're sorted.

It's too bad that there really isn't anything that would help make this easier
Synth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Garmin Quest. They are waterproof and can be loaded with topographical, road & sea maps.
However; jack of all trades, master .....
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDA using Tiny Stocks Navio product (or similar) ? You can scan and load your own maps, gives Sat Information, will mark current route on scanned map and way pointsetc.

Battery life on A PDA may not last long enough for routing all day ?

Rgds

Tony Ish UK
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyIshUk wrote:

Battery life on A PDA may not last long enough for routing all day

Solution:
Bum bag (fanny pack) with a small rechargable sealed lead acid gel battery. My 12v, 2.2Ah battery only cost about £7 from Screwfix. I use it for powering the pda (via the voltage reducer kit) and also my digital camera and portable communications receiver.

I also have a couple of 7Ah batteries for heavier duty useage...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: