Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cameras list on the decline if marking is ackward???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cameras list on the decline if marking is ackward???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Cameras list on the decline if marking is ackward??? Reply with quote

Was out earlier and passed a camera which was not shown on the PocketGPS database.

By the time I had managed to record the position I was well past it so not much point. Having said that I am a new user and have never submitted any cameras before but was thinking then surely that will lead to a decline in the database accuracy/up-to-date-ness??

(tho thanks as I was in Southampton trying to get past a truck on a bad bend as quickly as possible in the outside lane and the warning made me realise I was a bit heavy on the ol' right foot!! - Cheers!!!)
Satmaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly the reason you should have uploaded the location to the site m8. If everybody does it whenever they see a new camera then we will all be up to date constantly. Sometimes if I am out I note the location of a new camera, then use Autoroutes to get the Lat and Lon whan I get home and send the info in.

Satmaniac
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it must have been mentioned before, but is it possible to use the buttons on the PPC to mark a position while on the move. Otherwise, if you've already passed the camera, you would not be able to recall with any degree of accuracy the exact location.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used to be able to use the buttons and had it set up to do that but now the buttons seem to only change the volume and zoom out - does not seem to be a way to mark a point (or reprogram the buttons) in TT5
dezellis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Speed camera locations Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently purchased a Snooper S3 and out of curiosity subscribed to the Snooper camera database to compare the accuracy of the Snooper database compared to the PocketGPS database running both systems side by side. My thoughts were to rely on the PocketGPS database and cancel the almost £5 per month subscription to the Snooper database once I had confirmed accuracy.
My findings are that the Snooper database is modified much quicker for cameras that move with roadworks on motorways for example but no more accurate with fixed cameras. In other areas, mobile cameras, red light cameras etc PocketGPS is better. I have also had difficulties marking new cameras on TomTom5.1, without a hardware button this is almost impossible.

Regards
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised this a while ago and was told as soon as the TTN5 SDK is released, the Pocket GPS team will look at developing a small application to record the positions of cameras.
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering when does TT5 actually add the new POI.

Stage 1: Navigate the menus to "Add POI"
Stage 2: Select POI Type
Stage 3: Select "GPS Position"
Stage 4: Naming
Pete2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, the checkpoint 5 has the option to assign a hardware button for adding a poi.
Will this not work to mark the position of a new camera as you reach it?
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, CheckPOInt 5.0.1 allows you to assign a hardware button to record new cameras. It puts them in a CheckPOInt ov2 file which you can send in - but even though there is a page for recording the speed limit of the camera this does not seem to appear in the ov2 file and it needs amending manually. On your TomTom display it also puts a white square with a black border and black question mark within it so you have the location marked until the next database update comes out.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a way to mess around with the layout of the menus, which allows you to put the icons on the first page, i have used it to great effect - have a dig around on some of my other posts to find the url, as i am in the pub - will post it later when i get home - mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24434&highlight=menu

Above is one of the URLs I have found on the site that enables you to sort the icons to be where YOU want them not where TT think they should be - works a treat so you can have day/ night mode etc (the real useful ones when driving) only one screen flick away - the same applies to POI stuff just move em all around to suit your personal needs - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: