Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Users Guide
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Users Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfg58simon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: New Users Guide Reply with quote

So I'm expecting to get mine tomorrow (fingers crossed). Rather than spend the next 24 hours reading through all of the posts, could some post a new users guide for definitive do's and don’ts for a typical new user:

Scamera locations?
Is it essential to back up files or anything else?
Careful when removing from slippery case Wink
AOB

Cheers all.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bfg58simon,

Backup your GO’s SD card before you do anything.

I recommend that you start by reading the guide to installing the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto a TomTom Go. The guide has a link to a guide about the PocketGPSWorld camera database and also a link on how to add the custom camera voice alerts. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gjgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, its alot less stressful knowing your working with a copy, not your only original card! I didnt find it that simple to download the cameras, and has some hassle with the spoken points. At one stage, I cleared the whole card and started again.
Once you ve got everything on tht TT, you need to manage/activate the POI's, and allocate each sound to the correct speed camera. One of these things that once you ve dont it once, it will take you 10 minutes next time. Took me some hours first time, but maybe I m just incompetent!
In London there are so many cameras that if you activate mobiles, red lights and gatso,s then realize some of them are in twice 100m apart in error, then the machine never shuts up!
Also, although tempting, messing around with the machine while driving is doubtless EXRTEMELY distracting and dangerous. Otherwise, simply amazing machine !!
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Installing s camera database Reply with quote

gjgm wrote:
yes, its alot less stressful knowing your working with a copy, not your only original card! I didnt find it that simple to download the cameras, and has some hassle with the spoken points. At one stage, I cleared the whole card and started again.
Once you ve got everything on tht TT, you need to manage/activate the POI's, and allocate each sound to the correct speed camera. One of these things that once you ve dont it once, it will take you 10 minutes next time. Took me some hours first time, but maybe I m just incompetent!
In London there are so many cameras that if you activate mobiles, red lights and gatso,s then realize some of them are in twice 100m apart in error, then the machine never shuts up!
Also, although tempting, messing around with the machine while driving is doubtless EXRTEMELY distracting and dangerous. Otherwise, simply amazing machine !!

I wonder why people bother with the different warning sounds for each type of warning? If you need to know its a GATSO 30 or a 50 (for example), there surely is an issue with your basic driving skills if you have no clue what speed limit you should be adhering to? Took me just a few minutes with one sound for everything.
bfg58simon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info :D , getting scameras and voice files working was no problem at all. However, should the POI voice warnings operate when you have not inputted a destination as mine don't?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfg58simon wrote:
However, should the POI voice warnings operate when you have not inputted a destination as mine don't?

In the Warn When Near Menu, untick the Option to Only Warn When On Route. You will need to do this for every camera category.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
bfg58simon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the Warn When Near Menu, untick the Option to Only Warn When On Route. You will need to do this for every camera category
Thanks, I had origionally thought this was to prevent getting warnings from cameras on the opposite side of the road 8O
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really to aviod camera warnings from the wrong side of the road.

The side effect is that if you have "no route" none of the cameras will be on it!!
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfg58simon wrote:
Thanks, I had originally thought this was to prevent getting warnings from cameras on the opposite side of the road

Ticking "Warn only on route" avoids cameras on (say) the opposite carriageway of dual carriageways, and those on nearby side roads.

HOWEVER, you could easily miss cameras which can be turned to face either way. More importantly, perhaps, unless you have a route planned you will get no warnings at all!

The concensus seems to be that it is best to uncheck this box - and put up with a few spurious warnings. You will then get warnings whenever TTG is in the car and turned on, even if it is not directing you to your destination.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: