Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - starting to have second thoughts about a tomtom GO system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

starting to have second thoughts about a tomtom GO system
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniff wrote:

Regardless of what kind of windscreen you've got, sooner or later you'll find yourself in central London surrounded by tower blocks, or in the Alps surrounded by mountains, or in a forest surround by trees...whatever, you'll struggle to get a sat lock, believe me.

I wonder if that nice Mr Darling is aware of this? His whole road pricing strategy is based on Big Brother being able to know where each vehicle is every second of every day. The Alps might not be too much of an issue in the UK, but the rest will prove more than a tad troublesome.

Oh dear - I predict tears before bedtime
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwman wrote:
Sniff wrote:

Regardless of what kind of windscreen you've got, sooner or later you'll find yourself in central London surrounded by tower blocks, or in the Alps surrounded by mountains, or in a forest surround by trees...whatever, you'll struggle to get a sat lock, believe me.

I wonder if that nice Mr Darling is aware of this? His whole road pricing strategy is based on Big Brother being able to know where each vehicle is every second of every day. The Alps might not be too much of an issue in the UK, but the rest will prove more than a tad troublesome.

Oh dear - I predict tears before bedtime

Haha! Laughing The whole congestion charging thingie is a sham anyway. Does anyone seriously expect a UK government (or any persuasion) to invest the millions required to make that work? Just the sheer manpower effort required to ensure everyone has a GPS unit fixed in their car and working all the time? Then to check the readings and charge people, and follow up on non-payment? Arguments about why a Smart Car gets charged exactly the same as a Toyota LandCrusier? To follow up on all the claims for refunds due to mapping errors when the GPS unit claims you were on the expensive M1, when infact you were on the cheaper A1? Wink

They'll talk about it for a few years and then just put the duty on petrol up, claiming the technology isn't mature enough or something. After all that's a much better system...charges directly linked to how much you drive...
sgtbanjo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feelings exactly (on the satellite equipment in every car) Who would also like to bet that if this did ever happen, there will be something which is the equivalent of 'turning the gas meter round' or 'winding the clock back' on the satellite device. We all know that technology, whilst being useful, is also quite vulnerable.

I for one, would be quite happy to pay less road fund licence and less tax on fuel and put a lead box over my satellite tracking box. That should make my 31k miles a year less expensive :D

Sarge
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish it was a tidier install. With a plug in the side of the base and optional cable lengths.

A very short directly plugged in aerial (like a dongle?) would be ideal. Then you could use it for walking routes. Last Sunday I had to go to central London. I parked the car in an obscure side street a long way from the destination and walked to Oxford Circus. I intended to use the "walking route" to find my car again, so I went to mark the position of my parking slot, but no signal. In fact there was no signal at all while walking on the pavement for about half a mile. The only time I saw a fix was when i was standing in the middle of a crossroads (on an island!!).
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops!! I answered Sniff's post at the bottom of page 1. didn't look to see if there were subsequent posts........
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: