Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go 300 External Aerial Is The Bees Nees
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go 300 External Aerial Is The Bees Nees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go 300 External Aerial Is The Bees Nees Reply with quote

I Took delivery of my Tomtom Go 300 Aerial yesterday which in itself is a miracle since Tomtom said i would not get it until the 20th of this month.
I have too say that the increase in signal strength is truly amazing. Before attaching the aerial i was lucky to get 2 satellite maybe 3 with very low signal strength around 25 to 30. I was forever losing the signal.
Well with the aerial attached i now get 7 to 8 satellites with strength of 45 on at least 4 and the rest 41 to 43. I have been driving all over the place today done around 80 miles and never once lost the signal or dropped below 6 satellites.
My only gripe is in order to achieve these full strength signals the magnetic base of the aerial has to be outside the car which of course means that over time the aerial lead is going to get cut to bits.
I have tried putting it inside the car behind door panels against the door (magnetic contact is needed) I also tried behind the boot panel and even inside the rear wings but although the signal is better than I had without the aerial there is just no getting away from the fact that when I put on the roof the signal is just of the scale.

For anybody that is suffering signal loss the Tomtom Go 300/500/700 Aerial is a very worthwhile investment, on a scale of 1-10 I have to give it 10+.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: TTG 300 Aerial Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that you have to change part of the base which is supplied with the aerial and when you put it all back together the screw goes from top to bottom instead of bottom to top, this is because of the aerial lead coming out of the replacement base.
Also the aerial lead is so long that even running it down the side of the windscreen down the drivers door under the floor plates along the floor and up the rear door into the boot, there is still loads left over. My car is a Vectra 2003 model which is very long so you need not worry that the lead will not be long enough.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: RE: TTG 300 Aerial Post in wrong place Reply with quote

Sorry for double posting and then putting in wrong section
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Go 300 External Aerial Is The Bees Nees Reply with quote

Yes I have got my Aerial - a bit of tail of woe really :s

Ordered Monday 30 May from TotalPDA, followed their instructions to allow it to be delivered to alternate address - they dispatch it to my home address Wednesday! email problems so didn't receive second email Sad

Spoke to them on phone Thursday as chase up - (when I find out about the issue) - Guy called Noel, I think, very helpful and deals with City link (alarm bells ringing - don't like city link!)

City link claim fail to put card though door Thursday or Friday (and there was someone where they should have delivered Friday)!

Monday - speak to Noel again, again very helpful (I have had problems with City Link before so more likely to believe they are at fault)

Monday got aerial - but car was in Garage! - TT works perfectly well in courtesy car Confused

Tuesday got car back, but didn't have time to sort out aerial properly, just layed on dash, it improved but not cured reception (could at least put it on dash now) - what to do with the 20 miles of coax cable Confused

Tonight - threaded aerial to rear parcel shelf, signal a lot stronger than front - will see tomorrow
JoeJordan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree about the antenna from Tom Tom, the improvement in signal is superb.
My car's screen blocks signals completely without the antenna and yet 8-9 satelites with.

Jimbokb I have the end of the antenna just tucked up under the roof lining behind the rear view mirror in my car and the strengh of signal is very strong. Maybe you could try there rather than risk damaging the cord.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Roof Lining Reply with quote

JoeJordan

How did you manage to get it under the roof lining sounds like a brilliant Idea idea. Did you have to make a small cut in the lining or what.
JoeJordan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbokb

No I didnt have to make a cut because the lining on my car (Peugoet 307) is like a preformed stiff moulded affair.
The lining is obviously clipped to the roof but is only tucked under various trims where its visable. Because the windscreen covers he front edge I can ease it forward and tuck the cable and antenna behind it.

Hope this helps.
Matello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbokb,
Where did you order your external antenna kit from ?
Regards
Dave
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Go 300 External Aerial Is The Bees Nees Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
Tonight - threaded aerial to rear parcel shelf, signal a lot stronger than front - will see tomorrow

Aerial on rear shelf improves things no end - it has locked on by time I have left the car park at work Smile - usually have 4/5 bars most of the jorney - including going though the woods that used to cut off signal
JoeJordan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matello

Got my antenna from Tom Tom website.

Cheap as anywhere I could see and guaranteed compatability with 300.
Matello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
Thanks for the reply.
I've ordered my from TomTom too.
Rgds
Matello

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: