Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - laptops and software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

laptops and software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xantica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: laptops and software Reply with quote

I understand this is mainly aimed at pda and gps, however i have a decent laptop and a gps receiver, whilst i can use autoroute on this set up i am really peed of that these software companies neglect laptop users, granted todays "in thing" is pda, and laptops are large and impossible to "stick on the dash" however I have a small 7" lcd that attaches to the vga out connection and that does stick to the dash. I therefore have a decent system as far as I am concerned, possibly more powerfull than a pda. Why wont tom tom or copilot etc make their software run on a laptop, come to think of it even lorry drivers have a huge dash to shove a laptop onto. At least then we WON'T be FORCED to buy a pda. maybe those that make the software wiol read this and give it some thought, remember there are a huge number of people with laptops still.

my next problem is that i cannot make my mind up as to a pda system ( I hate being forced down this route by unthoughtfull programmers/companies ) I was looking at the mio 168 from globalpos etc etc, but like many others i see revues and price drops etc etc and my mind goes blank. I want door to door /postcode service, I want to be able to have it auto route me if i take a wrong turn ( often , last time I left london 6pm got home 40 miles away at 2am ). I want it to scream at me when I go wrong, and I want it to have turn by turn . Arghhhh which system, I also want it to be able to go from car to motorcycle.

Ok so what do you have to advise ?.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co-Pilot do have a Laptop version, which you can read about by clicking here.

Garmin also have laptop routing via their nRoute software, but you must use a Garmin GPS receiver with it.
xantica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually contacted Tom Tom and they threw a big negative at me which pee'd me off, :-) hence my moan, as for Garmin sadly I own a magellan meridian that i picked up new the other day for £99 so Garmin is now out of the question.

my biggest problem in getting kit is that I am unemployed long term and price is a biggie for me (anyone want to swap or loan a wife n kids from me, or how about the household contents, I have a feeling my quest here is less trouble) , thanks for the reply, and my quest continues.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also consider Infomap Navigator. It has all the usual GPS features:

• step by step navigation by human voice
• map rotation (north up or in driving direction)
• detailed overview of the next maneuvre
• voice prompts are in metric and imperial units
• navigate through unlimited waypoints
• re-routing if you get lost in the direction of travel without the need for U-turns
• over 1 750 000 postcodes can be located on the map
• search by postcode, street or town

Navigator Plus GB includes:
• import databases and speed cameras - warnings of approaching objects

It is available from Directions at a reasonable price of £69.99 for the plus or £34.99 for the std.
Read more details on their website.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at the tomotm rider when it comes out or one of the smartphone options as you cant use a lappy on a motorbike

as for laptop software there copilot,infomap, destinator to choose from and route66 i think ????

the pda market has more choice than laptop market as its a smaller medium to use the smartphone versions ar getting better and will do everything the pda versions will if your after postcodes only then your limited in the pda and phone market to tomtom pda and phone and go as a pna or aa navigator as a pda option

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
xantica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Sigh* and so my confusion continues, cant use a lappy on a bike !!!!!, wanna bet, you ever seen a FZR600 with lcd front screen Smile muahahaha, I'm game for anything., or haven't you noticed that men of a certain age become desperate to live their lives after losing them to marriage and do some "im 17 again" type stunts.

I think im gonna try getting copilot as im used to one in the car, hopefully this one will not whine or scream I took the wrong road like the human variety I currently have ( i'm still waiting for offers there) .

seriously, im looking at that mio 168 more often now, so i think maybe if I can sell the missus I may get that. however my mind still can't make a choice and wanders of at others.

again thanks for the reply.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: